VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:19:52 12/18/18 Tue
Author: Kel
Subject: Season 4, Episode 7

Episode 4.07
Seems many post on DG's FB page, but I miss reading things here.
*******SPOILERS AHEAD*******
What I missed seeing:
The pearls as evidence of Bree’s authenticity.
Seeing Ellen’s picture and how Bree looks like her.
Ian & Jenny’s family’s response to Bree.
What was odd:
Lizzie towered over Bree. She is supposed to be a mouse!
Not to mention…. My DH (who did not read the books, but loves the series BTW) said “who would want HER for a concubine??” (apologies to the actress!)
Bree kept the name Randall, where in the books, she is Fraser. That name change works the same as Roger dropping the Wakefield and becoming a McKenzie. Although, we saw some of that at the festival where he said “the McKenzies are here” (this I am hoping will be echoed later at the Gathering with her by his side!!) At the festival, Bree had no connection to the Fraser, she was happy to be part of the clan of “her boyfriend”. (although, she is also McKenzie!)
Why does Ian say Bree’s eyes are like Claire’s? She is supposed to have Jamie’s Fraser eyes! Plus she is supposed to look like Ellen, whose portrait hangs in Lallybroch and Ian certainly would know of. No one mentions she looks like Jamie!
Thoughts:
Roger looks much hotter without the beard. Wondered why he shaved, as many men had beards, and it would be much easier not to shave. His short pants struck me as odd. They fit someone working on the ship, but perhaps not a paying passenger???
Why didn’t Bree head directly for Lallybroch? Why didn’t she see if Laoghaire knew where it was? Why didn’t she recognize that first name? If Laoghaire was that destitute, why not accept help from Ian when he offered? Nice little play on Bree being able to fix the cabinet.
Why-o-why wouldn’t Bree the engineer grab a stick to use as a crutch? Did not make sense.
What I liked:
Parallels. Lots and lots of parallels.
The Bible theme was “Ruth and Naomi” – in other words… “Your people shall be my people”. And the episode was full of that theme.
Laoghaire accepts (grudgingly!) the “Frog” who is now married to her daughter. Fergus becomes Laoghaire’s people.
BUT - Laoghaire rejects (and threatens) the love child of Jamie and Claire. Who, BTW is also a McKenzie, same as Laoghaire! Bree really is “her people” and yet rejected.
But Frank not only accepts Bree, he loves her dearly. Bree becomes Frank’s people. Frank is in a tougher position than Laoghaire. After all, he was married to Claire first, and Jamie was never serious about Laoghaire before Claire. Both Laoghaire and Frank had to decide how to manage with the love Jamie and Claire had.
Add in that we know that Claire is caring for Laoghaire’s daughter as if her own. And Willie as well! Claire has reason to reject the daughter of the woman that tried to kill her. But she doesn’t. She becomes Claire’s people. She also could reject the child Jamie created while she was gone, but even Willie becomes “Claire’s people”. And, let’s not forget John, who loves Willie for his own sake, “his people”.
Ian – you are Jamie’s daughter, so let me help you however I can. Bree becomes Ian’s people.
Ian again – Joanie still calls him Uncle Ian, and he is kind to her. Joanie is Ian’s people, whatever the relationship with her mother.
Joanie (is there a sweeter child?). Jamie treated her as his own, and she remembers that. She helps Bree escape, and not only escape, but takes her to Lallybroch. (I hope her mother isn’t too angry at her for it!) She likes Bree, but then, even before she knows who she is, she becomes a “big sister”. Bree becomes “her people”.
Joanie tells Bree “You can’t help it your mother is a witch”. I wanted to shout, no, and Joanie, you can’t help it your mother is a nut case!
Bree heard Ian and Laoghaire arguing, and remembered Claire and Frank arguing. But also, how many arguments did Joanie hear (both Jamie and Ian!). Joanie must have heard the argument and Laoghaire saying Bree wasn’t wanted, BUT she also knew Jamie was really like, as well as what her mother is really like. That also means she must have heard Bree’s accusations as well.
I am hoping we see some flashbacks to Bree spending a bit of time at Lallybroch. It looked like she was wearing Claire’s clothes when going to the ship, so perhaps she spent more time there than we saw, even a day or two. I would think that she didn’t just change clothes and go to the ship.
Money – why didn’t she take enough money to pay for things, at least for the start of her travels? While Ian offers money to Laoghaire to help her, she refuses it. He is really offering to be “her people”, the same as he does to Bree, who accepts the money. Ian is now Bree’s people.
And then Frank….. We saw a few episodes ago the last few days of Claire’s marriage from Claire’s point of view. Frank stayed out all night, then came home and asked for a divorce. He then left, and had a car accident and died. But this episode gave us a different point of view. Frank was not with his girlfriend. He had just gotten the letter with Jamie and Claire’s death notice. He now knows for sure that Claire is going to go back, probably leaving him. Given he probably has figured out the 202 year thing, and the news clipping is 177_, he also knows she will go back fairly soon. He can’t foresee his car accident, (or DOES HE??? ). He asks Claire for a divorce, then goes to Bree, who doesn’t jump at the chance to go to England with him. Was it really an accident? Or does he feel the two women he loves have both rejected him? (We have discussed if it was an accident before). Bree feels guilty, if only she had gotten in the car….. No wonder she is mad at Claire after his death, and more so about Jamie. Does she see that as the reason for the divorce? Claire doesn’t know that Bree knows they were going to get divorced.
When did Bree put together the clipping with the fire, and when did (if she truly did) she really connect that was what Frank was so upset about that last night? It was about “the only thing that mattered to Frank besides Bree” “except Momma” – well – it WAS Momma! This also puts his girlfriend(s) into perspective. I have to say, I did not like book Frank very much, but TV Frank IMHO is a likable guy, who just loves a woman that can’t love him the way he would like, and she can’t help it.
And then there is Roger. Oh, I do love Roger! He seemed like a rather pudgy professor up to this point, but take of 70 layers of vests and jackets, shave the beard and oh my! My picture of Roger was when roommate said “he looks like a pirate!” when he arrived in America for the festival. Sort of a young Hugh Jackman, in my minds eye. But 1700’s Roger has a new look, and I like it.
Roger is also in parallels. Bonnet is Captain of ship and all on it. Roger is lowly worker. But it is Roger who has a heart. He doesn’t know who Morag is, and yet she becomes “his people” – he wants to keep them safe. When he finds out she really is “his people” even more! And he calls Bree “his woman”, even tho she said no when he proposed. Bonnet thinks any woman will do. Bree is “his people”, and has been since the beginning. While we didn’t see Jamie – Roger is a lot like him – Jamie takes on Fergus, Marsali, Joanie, and the people on the Ridge. They are all “his people”.
Murtah will also follow in this pattern… are Jamie and Claire his people, or are the Regulators?
Morag’s Wee Jemmy…. (and where was Buck??) Bonnet knew it was teething (put whisky on his gums). But that was it. Roger stepped up to protect him. When OUR Jem comes along, Bonnet may give a gemstone, but it is Roger who steps up. Jem becomes “his people” regardless of who his father may be. Much like Frank, he loves the child for the sake of the mother (and unlike Laoghaire). But… we also see Bonnet has never had “his people”. Alone and not wanted, life threatened and saved only by the toss of a coin. Oddly enough, his actions of tossing the sick overboard is actually the way to save the whole ship – the only “his people” he has. Even so, Bonnet would risk it on the flip of a coin. I did miss Roger’s thoughts here from the book – where if he had lost the toss, he was ready to toss Bonnet in the ocean!
Bonnet is a bad guy, but only because he is totally self-serving, whereas BJR was evil. Actually, Bonnet and Laoghaire have more in common (at least TV versions). Both will do whatever they want, at whatever cost to others, to get what they want. Again, we see the parallels.
Frank at the docks….. That visual was poignant. It gave Bree his approval to search for Jamie and Claire. We knew he prepped her (shooting, etc) in case she ever did, but this was a nice way to send her off. We see Joseph Wymss sending off Lizzie, and Frank sending off Bree. Again with parallels. The two young women are leaving behind everything they know for something new, different, and possibly dangerous.
The moments of realizations were great. The look on Laoghaire’s face when she realized who Bree was. On Roger’s when he realized who Morag was. On Ian’s when he recognized Bree. Bree and Joanie as Laoghaire is telling them the Ruth and Naomi story.
While I missed things from the books, I did like how this episode went and enjoyed it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Post Password:
Keep password cookie for 24 hours

* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.