VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:59:15 09/20/14 Sat
Author: Conmama
Subject: Excellent, fantastic, Bravo!

Loved it! Yes, it didn't have one of my favorite lines...but maybe that is what will make the books extra special compared to the series. Jamie was outstanding in this episode. Sam need to articulate a but better, though. Wow...can't wait to watch this again!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> The dress was amazing and Ned was cute running off with one of the women. -- M&M, 19:24:40 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Knowing where it was procured from, I still thought it a bit low cut, but it was gorgeous otherwise. Ned is definitely entertaining. -- TracyAnn, 19:30:44 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I just read the wedding scene in the book on a car trip today and it said it was very low cut. -- M&M, 19:47:18 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> It wasn't even that, it was more that it wasn't flattering to Cait's figure. On the book Claire, it would have likely been more flattering. It was just a bit distracting to me. And the non-linear portrayal took me aback at first, but second viewing it all came together better. Will need to watch a few more times. -- TracyAnn, 20:22:13 09/20/14 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat September 20, 2014 20:24:29   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> vanity Fair article I tweeted from Terry said it was the style of the time -- BetsyG, 07:00:05 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Yes, I know it's the style of the time. It was her lack of bosom that bothered me, I think. As I said, unflattering to her natural figure. It was distracting, just to me, every time she took a breath. Otherwise it was beautiful and to the period. -- TracyAnn, 07:43:06 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> yes, every time she took a breath I thought ouch that dress must really hurt! :-) But, besides being about an inch too low, I did think it was lovely. -- HollyC, 08:39:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Exactly! Her other dresses are low as well and not distracting or painful looking. I liked the color. -- TracyAnn, 10:23:31 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Rewatched it last night and the dress was very distracting. I kept expecting her to pop out of it at any second (even tho I know she didn't)/pass out because she couldn't breathe! It was verra distracting! JMHO! -- CarolE, 06:10:07 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> I agree. It was a beautiful dress, but they didn't do a very good job with the bosom part. I know she's not big, and they were trying to create a sexy bosom, but they missed the mark. I read somewhere where someone likened it to a walking mammogram look. -- conmama, 06:59:22 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> LOL! -- CarolE, 08:19:30 09/24/14 Wed

Last edited by author: Wed September 24, 2014 08:19:48   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I'm still processing, but in general I was disappointed in the episode. I really didn't like having it all in flashbacks. The dress didn't give me a "wow" moment. I think, like for the rest of the episode, there was just too much hype about it beforehand. I mean, it was really nice and all, but I didn't think it was stunning. I'm going to watch the episode a few more times before I comment extensively. -- Shads, 19:51:07 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I missed that both Frank and Jamie married Claire in the same chapel. -- M&M, 20:12:45 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Me too. Especially since they showed the flashback. Maybe since one wedding was "civil" and one "church" it was appeasing the adulterer/bigamist naysayers? -- Kel, 20:20:35 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I'm a bit disappointed too. Probably because my brain expected things to play out in book sequence. Must watch a few more times to adjust. Looking forward to Ron's podcast. (Those pearls...what?) -- DonnaS, 20:18:42 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> I wish they had used Ellen's pearls as described in the books. -- Conmama, 03:15:35 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Pearls really disappointed! too Hollywood and not the right type they reek to me of ability to commercial market the item obviously show up better but are not believable as being available in 1700 s in a cultured strand like they used. I also missed the church scene did not care for the flash back to civil ceremony -- BetsyG, 07:06:59 09/21/14 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun September 21, 2014 16:06:28   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> The pearls didn't look at all as I imagine them. Plus.... I know it's Jamie, so not possible to be turned off :) but... but... okay, those are his mother's pearls. His mother, who is dead. And he puts them on Claire, while she's naked, and them mmmphmming ensues. I would be perfectly okay with the mmphmming in nothing but the pearls if Claire had already owned them for a while, if they were already HER pearls - Jamie's wife pearls. I thought it was more classy in the books, where he gave her the pear to wear in church. I must be getting old. :) The line about Claire being as precious as the pearls for him, was very sweet and romantic, though. -- Rita (aka FW), 09:04:06 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> First, welcome back, Rita! We've missed you so much. And I agree with you. I think they missed an oportunity for Jamie to stand up to Dougal who first protested Claire wearing Ellen's pearls. In the book he siad, "and now they're myu wife's" with such conviction. I would have like to have seen Dougal's reaction to that, and it would have moved Jamie's character along more into the competent independent man he would become. -- Valerie L., 09:14:25 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Val!!! :D I agree with you -- surprise! :) Another great opportunity to show Jamie's "steel" and having him facing Dougal man to man. First they had quite a lame answer in RENT, when Claire asked him if he would allow Dougal to keep using him -- "he's my uncle" is NOT in the same league as "for now". Jamie comes accross as being under DOugal's thumb, instead of being an intelligent man, who bides his time and will play his cards when the time is right. And in this episode, apart from not having Jamie standing up to DOugal about the pearls, as you well stated, they also allowed Dougal to speak to Jamie about Claire in the crudest of terms AFTER they were married in a tap room full of men. Book!Dougal would never do that, and not only because it would not have been in character to speak like that of someone who is now his niece, but because he knows Jamie wouldn't have it. And TV!Jamie thanks him, and sits down for a drink and a bit of marital-life advice after that? -- Rita (aka FW), 09:53:10 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Oh Rita, I do remember how well in tune you and I always were. Have to agree with you 100% (again, and happy to do so). Just gobsmacked to have you back with us (and agreeing with me, as usual). *G* -- Valerie L., 13:48:23 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Aye! :) And THAT accursed scene will be coming in 2015. We doormats will have some fun, then! :) -- Rita, 14:48:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Oh, my fellow doormat, we have missed you. -- Valerie L., 07:49:14 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> LOL I think you would have had him tie her up with the pearls in the old days. LOL -- M&M, 14:27:59 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> LOL! Then that would really be "50 Shades of Plaid", as someone wrote. -- Rita, 15:07:32 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> I have to say that of all the changes from the book, the pearls were the most jarring for me—they just didn't match my mind's eye and it really pulled me out of the story. It wasn't the timing. I could accept that Jamie perhaps had waited until they'd forged more of a connection before giving them to her, but they were just not what I'd expected to see when I thought of Ellen's pearls. -- LadyJay, 13:51:54 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> And these were distinctly baroque pearls with gold roundels in between, and pearls dangling from the roundels. It is this distinctive necklace worn by Ellen Fraser in the unidentified portrait in the National Gallery that later helps convince Brianna that Claire is telling the truth. (I read this on another forum, can't claim to have twigged to it on my own.) But, the distinctive style of the necklace is significant down the road. And I agree that Jamie should've given them to Claire just before the wedding, like in the book, for all the reasons stated here. -- Lemora, 16:05:51 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Yes, the fact that they were so unique plays a big part. They weren't just a long string. -- Kel, 18:41:28 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> You know...the Pearl difference is what probably bothers me more than any other deviation. The necklace also makes an appearance when Bree is back at Lallybroch. Doesn't she show them to everyone, and grabs them back when Laoghaire goes for them? I think they goofed up a bit for not having the necklace resemble the books one. -- conmama, 09:39:35 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Might sound stupid *g* I dont recall if men wrote that episode, I dont think men have the connection to jewelry like women have....and Jamie couldnt of kept that pearl necklace in his sporran. *g* -- M&M, 18:56:22 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> There is a close up photo of the pearls on Terry's site www.terrydresbach.com. It shows the gold roundels in between the pearls that weren't obvious in the show. She said she didn't want the strand to be as long as it was though. -- Colly, 19:16:23 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> I should of read down here before I posted. :) -- M-another-M, 20:26:28 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Yes! Just peeked and that works for me. If they'd gone with the shorter length that Terry had pushed for, it would have fit just fine with the image in my mind. -- LadyJay, 20:50:11 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Thank you for the link! I'm getting reconciled with the pearls after seeing the photo (beautiful!). But still wish they'd followed her opinion and gone with a smaller necklace. -- Rita, 03:41:46 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Me too, I thought the flashbacks were distracting and wish they would have just filmed it as it happened. -- CarolE, 20:31:00 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> And he brought her as his +1 to the wedding!!! -- Kim G, 09:12:28 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Jamie looked exactly as I pictured dressed for the wedding, with his hair all slicked back. Just loved it.A plus. Very realistic love scene for him losing his virginity... About 45 seconds...haha. -- Conmama, 19:37:31 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> hahaha - I had the same thought. And Claire's face at the end was perfect. -- kgp, 10:27:45 09/21/14 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun September 21, 2014 10:27:59   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> I have to say though I still think Dougal and Claire have more chemistry. -- M&M, 19:48:39 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> He really surprised me this episode for some reason. But I see what you're saying. -- TracyAnn, 20:03:25 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> What about the key made into the ring? Maybe that was how they could get the inscription? Was it on the key? Still a teeny bit disappointed it doesn't look like the ring in the books. -- Kel, 20:17:38 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Claire's Ring isn't in the series. :) -- M&M, 20:19:27 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> But there is a picture in Outlandish Companion isn't there? -- Kel, 20:21:27 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> M&M I've never seen that before. Was any explanation given for that omission? I mean the ring is iconic. Lots of us have copies. Waaaah! -- Bev in Colorado, 06:41:36 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> She used Jamies fathers ring in the book and they thought she needed something on the road so they used the key to Lallybroch. She didnt get Claire's Ring till she went back to Leoch so they must be skipping all that. I noticing they stay away from very specifics in eye color, hair and jewelry. It works for me since it means I can still sell the ring. :) -- M&M, 08:19:22 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I was thinking it was Jamie's key to Lallybroch, too. :) -- LadyStormwing, 12:30:37 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I surprised about them giving her a ring at the wedding, too. Hope it's either already engraved w/Da mi basia mille (don't look at my spelling on that ) or perhaps they can still do that when they return to the castle & get back on track w/the scene where he gives it to her when she's jealous thinking he went to see Laoghaire - one of my favorite parts of the book. I think it's a key to Lallybroch, as we all know Jamie only keeps very special things in his sporran, -- MaryJ, 12:38:30 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I am simply shocked to admit this. I was disappointed with this episode. I have thought each of the first six episodes were fabulous. This one disappointed me perhaps because I think it may have flowed much better in a linear fashion rather than in flashbacks. Don't think I recovered from the first scene being post wedding in the bridal chamber. While I realize that the first time for a virile young man can be like a bottle rocket going off, there was none of Claire's "guidance." It just seemed a little too base for me. The come on from Dougal at the end was a shocker but a rather interesting development, perhaps for the future? -- Lady Linda, 20:24:24 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> When it began and they were already married I almost wondered if I missed an episode! Maybe by the flashbacks they could explain at the same time show? Is Dougal married on the show? I don't know if he is or not? Makes that kiss in the hall when C was going to run a bit different after he makes a pass at her on her right after she is married. She doesn't tell J either (yet). Wonder if that will come into play. -- Kel, 20:35:33 09/20/14 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Not exactly disappointed, but this was a prime example of why one should read the book first... >>> -- Rita (aka FW), 04:51:07 09/21/14 Sun

I can see why they chopped the sequence, and made the wedding day into flashbacks. I guess on TV, half an hour of Jamie and Claire in the bedroom, repeatedly doing their thing would be a bit excessive -- not only by cheapening the scenes, but this way the progression of Claire's feelings was made clearer: the first time, reluctant; the second time, not reluctant; and the third time, verra willing. I thought it was cleverly done.

I really didn't like the Lord of the Ringish finale. Watching those fingers picking the ring, I kept waiting for the "one ring" litany... Nope, didn't work for me.

The pearls didn't look at all as they do in my mind. They may be true to the period style, I don't know, but they seemed jazz-era-like to me.

Loved the dress. Really beautiful and classy. Wish we could have had a better look as the sun came out in the person of James Fraser. Went by too quickly.

And my main gripe: I don't understand how they could cut the "tell the truth" dialogue. Unless they moved it to the next episode. It is absolutely essential to the story, and something that is even remembered in later books. For me, it was the big miss in this episode.

I loved at lot of things.

The contrast between Frank, who married without even telling his parents (who were waiting for them, to meet Claire! classy, Frank!), and Jamie thinking about his mother and wishing she could be there. Guess who'll make the better husband and family man, can you?

Jamie taping his fingers as he was thinking, after his first time... Of course, he was adorably endearing throughout the whole episode :)

Dougal. Dougal. Dougal. And Murtagh, beaming with happiness.

And the wedding planners. My family owns a venue for parties and marriages and such, and I tell you from years of experience: those men are more efficient than most of the people we have to work with. Plus, they're funnier! :)

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I agree with all that. I think there was too much hype for the wedding and thats why a lot of us are a bit disappointed. I think they did pretty good, I have a feeling the honesty speech has been moved. -- M&M, 08:22:35 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I think you are probably right, Michelle. I think the speech will show up later. I also think the unflagging joy line will appear in VO later. NO WAY will these folks skip over those lines completely. Still, I wonder if they are going to show up before the break. The secrets/lies bit may come AFTER Jamie rescues her from BJR, so it might be in the second half of the season. -- Shads, 08:47:20 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Crossing my fingers for the extended versions on the DVDs. Like, 2 hour episodes including all the things we miss would be a good start. -- Rita (aka FW), 09:07:29 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> The thing is we KNOW that Diana says something when they skip a line that the fans love, so thats why I dont get too upset about that stuff because Im sure its going to end up later, since they have already re-shot a scene due to them not using a line. -- M&M, 14:31:08 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Yes, you may very well be right! [sigh of (hopeful) relief] I read somewhere they didn't intend to include the "you need not be scairt of me" line, and Diana said it was a fan's favorite. Well, if you go and watch the youtube fan videos (guilty!) that scene is in about 90% of them. So there's hope for the "let it be the truth" and also for the "there's the two of us now". I think it's a tribute to the series that we want to have those scenes. If the series was bad, I wouldn't care one bit. The voices in my head -- Claire and Jamie's, I mean, not the OTHER voices ;) -- would be enough. -- Rita, 14:45:24 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Glad to see you still agree with me on Frank too! And yes, I canna wait for extended DVDs. Today one of the Starz channels is showing all 7 episodes in a row. guess what I'm doing? I will be bereft when next week is over and we have that long wait until 2015 for the second half. -- Valerie L., 13:52:01 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> We don't know that Frank and Claire actually went into the courthouse and got married there, keeping his parents ignorant and waiting. They only talked about doing that. It may not have happened that way, afterall. -- Lemora, 14:29:02 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I think we see them entering the building in another snippet? I'll have to rewatch. Oh, the sacrifices we do for accuracy ;) -- Rita, 15:16:16 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> They do go inside, because I watched Claire's shoes slide on the floor, but we don't see the actual ceremony, so who knows! -- TracyAnn, 16:10:06 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Loved it, but where's the truth? -- Lady Finnreedie, 00:02:01 09/21/14 Sun

Like others, I too would have liked fewer flashbacks and a more linear narrative, but overall I really loved seeing Jamie in his wedding kilt and the tender, questioning looks between J & C.

I was surprised that the whole conversation about telling each other the truth -- "there may be room for secrets, but not lies" -- was not included. I remember this being a major part of the wedding night conversations, and the beginning of a continuing thread throughout Jamie & Claire's relationship. And part of that conversation was their trick to touch each other in order to feel connected and less "skittish." I hope this conversation comes back. It is one of the things I like best about their relationship. Did this omission/change bother anyone else?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Yes, my only disappointments were these iconic lines and scenes not brought to life. There were several. I also though Rupert and Angus barging into the room was silly. However, I've been trying really hard to separate the book from the the series and enjoy it for what it is....and I did this show. What I'm interested ion are the reasons they deviate from some things. -- Conmama, 03:23:36 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Oh...and why did Claire ask him his name? I thought I saw it on the wedding contract the episode before. -- Conmama, 03:24:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Claire asked his name at that point in the book. -- ruthlass, 08:26:23 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> I know...but she would have already read it on the marriage contract when she was reading it tin the prior episode. I'm fairly sure you can see his full name written out on the sheet of paper. -- Conmama, 08:47:33 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Yes, not very clever, having his name so visible on screen in that scene. I'm la-la-la-ing that, and stating to myself Claire was so distraught at having to marry she simply stared at the paper without reading it. That's my theory, and I'm sticking with it :) -- Rita (aka FW), 08:53:35 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> That's how I saw it. She may have skimmed over it, not realizing it didn't say MacTavish and then it hits her as they're about to enter the church. -- TracyAnn, 10:26:29 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> I agree - and also, giving benefit of the doubt because she was drunk/hung over at the wedding - not thinking clearly. -- MaryJ, 12:41:09 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Yep, staring, not really reading when Jamie approached her, then probably too drunk after stalking off with the bottle to really read it later. *G* -- LadyJay, 12:47:44 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> You made me chuckle...I guess we will just have to pretend on this one. Sort of surprises me they didn't catch that. I read a review today and it was mentioned. -- Conmama, 13:58:59 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I loved the episode, I've had to let go my expectations of it being "just like the book" such a beautiful adaptation. I always cry at weddings and this was no exception. I won't go on and on in detail, I'm sure no one's really interested in my opinion, I have lots of favorite scenes, mainly when Jamie is walking to Claire, it took my breath away. All the emotion captured in a way the book did not, I loved it. -- LadyBlair, 05:30:40 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I'm interested in your opinion :-) , and I like your point about letting go of expectations. I do think its capturing the right emotions in all sorts of subtle ways - Cait's reflection as she reached for the gold ring on the floor - to me that summed up a lot! -- HollyC, 08:36:03 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> LadyBlair, I'm interested in your opinion too :) I haven't talked about anything Outlandish in such a long time! So many new POVs to consider. While having felt some failings in the episode (compared to my unrealistic expectations, I concede) I totally agree with what you say about the emotions. Caitriona and Sam (especially Sam because he had a more subtle and wide mix of emotions to convey IMO) were OUTSTANDING in what must have been a very difficult episode to film. -- Rita (aka FW), 09:13:21 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I feel the same way about letting go of expectations. I love the book, and I'm loving the show. I'm grateful that they are generally staying true to the essence of the characters and the story, while steering clear of a literal translation. Some deviations have worked well for me, others less so. But overall, EVERYTHING is working well for me and I'm enjoying this immensely. I thought the wedding episode was great. I thought it was a great "relationship building" episode. Up until now, they have LIKED each other, but this was an episode in which they were truly beginning to know one another. I could sense how stilted she was at first, and then how she became lost in the moments, and then how she was rudely brought back to reality at the end by Frank's ring rolling across the floor. Great episode. -- Nifty, 09:28:42 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> One thing I have always loved is that Claire and Jamie talk to each other. Really talk and use each other as sounding boards. I loved how they seemed to start that with the flashbacks and getting to know each other. I was startled with the changes, but I have seen it four (yes 4) times now and it's really helping me to see them change into a couple. I loved the final love scene, such a change in Claire. -- TracyAnn, 10:28:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I'm guessing that nonreaders had an easier time watching this than those of us who not only read the book but could quote passages verbatim. *G* Yep, it's much more enjoyable when you can let the expectations go and just immerse yourself in the story taking place on screen. The visuals really cement a lot of the scenes more firmly in my mind. I thought the awkwardness and slow build were realistic. I like the way the flashbacks served not only as a testament to Jamie's character but also fleshed out many of the secondary characters even more. Really I thought this episode showed a nice evolution of J&C's relationship from beginning to end, plus it deftly contrasted it with her relationship/wedding to Frank. -- LadyJay, 11:47:30 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I thought the wedding episode was pretty good. I think it will grow on me with additional viewing! My big concern is that Claire got the wedding ring at the church. When they get back to Leoch and Jamie heads straight out to have her ring made, that is the catalyst for the whole show down "master" scene. Wondering if/how that will now play out & what was the purpose of changing it? -- Rebecca, 06:18:27 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Having such an intimate knowledge of the book, I made a conscious effort to let the series go where it may and tell the story to the world in its own way. Once I did that, I found it much more enjoyable, especially the surprises, and am seriously enjoying the ride . I have a feeling I'm going to go long>>>> -- MiladyM, 06:32:57 09/21/14 Sun

I loved Claire's and Jamie's wedding attire, I loved Murtagh's support and smile, loved Jamie's anticipation and Claire's nervousness on their wedding night. More than once did Jamie comment to Claire that although she may not remember much of the wedding preparations or the ceremony itself, he remembered every second. Every. Second. *sigh* The flashbacks reinforced this, as well as giving us the visual to Jamie's sharing with Claire what she missed. I was surprised about the ring and am looking forward to more information about the key. The pearls, well, not what I expected, but they are lovely. I really really wanted Jamie to say "Holy God", and that was a disappointment. Some of their other wedding night conversation may be presented to us in future episode flashbacks, so hope springs. And then there's Dougal. I loved him in the previous episode when he burst in to that dining room and rescued Claire with no more than a look and a few chosen words. And now, with his comments to Claire, well, not so much, but I cannot wait to find out what he does next. Whee - what a ride! One more episode, then a long break. Whatever shall I do?

Last edited by author: Sun September 21, 2014 09:07:11   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> I thought the episode was beautiful. That being said, I was very confused when they were already in the bedroom at the beginning, since they'd already released the clips of all the preparation. I love this series, however, the biggest problem I have is that many of the lines they've omitted are Jamie's humor, so he's coming across much less humorous than Book Jamie and I miss that. For instance: "They'll just think I'm waiting my turn," in Rent and "That was one of the things I didn't believe" from last night. "Holy God." for that matter. There are many other examples. I understand that they have to make changes, but these are all short lines and leaving them out really changes the character "Jamie" and that bothers me a bit. -- Bev in Colorado, 06:51:03 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> The scene I hated the most was the one acquiring the priest! I wanted to see Claire getting ready for her wedding or her getting drunk the night before! Or Jaime coming down the stairs Or even the faint and a moment alone after the ceremony. Like Shadow's post below--there was so much well done in this episode it covers up what was missing but I felt precious minutes were spent with a character we don't and won't ever care about and we missed important moments with our main characters So yes I was dissappointed in ways --almost like a huge event that you build up that cannot live up to your expectations. Although the sex was pretty damn good even if the first time was too hurried! -- BetsyG, 07:17:24 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> That whole priest thing was a waste of time. -- M&M, 08:33:20 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I found myself really liking that they were doing the wedding in flashbacks, and even more so on second viewing. I think that allowed them to pace out the wedding night( and the sex scenes) - to show J & C becoming more comfortable with each other. Although I missed the secrets/not lies line, I bet it will show up later. I'm impressed with how this director is able to move the long story along and balance what to use verbatim with what needs to be done differently to work on film. -- HollyC, 08:30:13 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Agree with you on all counts, Holly. Watched it twice last night and enjoyed it more the second time. Will probably watch it again some time today and suspect that I'll like it even more. Sort of like J&C by the time they got to their 3rd encounter of the night. ;-) I'm glad that I hadn't reread the wedding recently because the show managed to hit most of the highlights that I recall and wanted to see. I also have faith that some of what was missing, like the bit about honesty, will come around later. All in all, I think they've done a fantastic job of staying true to the spirit of the story—better than I would have ever imagined. -- LadyJay, 09:45:59 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I agree with both of you - I thought each sex scene showed a closer relationship progression, each became more intimate & because they were getting to know each other over time. So glad they put the flashbacks in there to slow things down. One of the best parts of the book was that they spent so much time talking, asking about each other's families, etc - I loved the way they showed it on the show - didn't gloss over that to get to the sex. I loved the way the camera focused on them holding hands at one point - readers know the significance of this & moved smoothly for theTV viewers. A tad bit creeped out at the pearl sex scene - his mom's pearls - eww. Loved what he said about them though. -- MaryJ, 12:49:49 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> A triple YES to everything said above. It seems many of these episodes progress in a kind of spiral of three. In RENT we had (1) Claire being an outsider and thinking the worst of the men, then (2) Claire understanding what the men were all about, and finally (3) Claire becoming part of the gang. And in THE WEDDING we have Jamie's three gifts for Claire -- and how romantic is that thoughtfulness! -- and then their three times together: the first just consumating the marriage, as required; the second, having sex because they enjoy each other; and the third time, they were already really making love, even if Claire doesn't know it yet. It reflects Diana's storytelling beautifully, because in the books too, many things happen in threes. -- Rita, 14:59:29 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> "What I tell you three times is true." From quite a different wedding scene in the third book of the series. :-) Agree, lots of threes. -- LadyJay, 15:13:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Oh you smart girl........you cracked the writers code. lol -- M-another-M, 20:27:20 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Disappointing, aye. It's hard not to compare, and the more I do, the more disappointed I become. So I must focus on the good. The sex scenes were beautifully filmed and Sam's arse is pairfect. THUD -- LP, 08:35:14 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I really enjoyed it. That is all! -- albion, 08:46:50 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Remember, in last week's episode, Dougal's comment to Claire about grinding her corn? Well, there's an old Scots song called "The Maid Gaed Tae The Mill" which will tell you all about it. And at the end of this week's episode, after Douglal's advances towards Claire, Rupert comes in singing that same song. Ha! -- MiladyM, 09:19:41 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> That song is an ear worm :) I want it on the OST! The men are singing it in Rent too, as they ride, just before Claire chats with Ned Gowan. There's the full version on youtube (The Maid Gaed to the Mill Ewan MacColl Peggy Seeger) -- Rita (aka FW), 09:43:07 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I didn't know that. Good continuity! -- TracyAnn, 10:30:02 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I just watched and will watch again in a bit so I might have something to add but one question: Since he gave her the ring already, does this mean we won't get the "Master Mmphmm" scene after they return to Leoch? -- kgp, 10:25:29 09/21/14 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun September 21, 2014 10:26:32   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> kgp, yes, I think we will have it. Click here for a very good (really!) interview with Sam Heughan that talks about filming what must surely be the "master mmmphmmm" scene. Should be in episode 10, if I'm guessing right. -- Rita (aka FW), 11:16:27 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Thanks, Rita ! I wonder what the catalyst will be without the ring. -- kgp, 13:17:39 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> LOVED it!! I'll be the odd duck & say I loved the flashbacks, once I figured out they hadn't skipped the wedding :) The flashbacks keep the story fresh for me, as I know what should be coming, but can't really know how they'll show it. They've added so many new scenes throughout, I did wonder why they chose to leave out some of our favorite lines - seems so easy to put them in. I missed the ones you guys mentioned already, plus the one where Claire tells Jamie not to listen to what Murtaugh & Rupert have to say about pleasing a woman. Hoping some of these can still be incorporated w/the flashback technique. And..so happy to see more Frank scenes in next week's episode - that's one thing I've always wondered about, even before Tobias changed my opinion of Frank :) -- MaryJ, 13:04:55 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Also... hoping that now that J&C's relationship transformation has taken place via increasingly more personal sex scenes, I hope we will see him grow & develop into "our Jamie". He will now be much more in Claire's POV, not so much a background character. I see great potential in getting to know the TV-show-Jamie better, now that they are married, because Claire will be getting to know him better. Although it is somewhat different from the exact book story, I am very much able to enjoy it on its own merits and I love that it sometimes fills in the "off-stage" action that DG has mentioned. -- MaryJ, 13:11:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Tobias has changed my perception of Frank for the better --and I think for the improvement of the story. We can see why the screen Claire would want to get back to him. The pacing of the present, interspersed with flashbacks, is very effective. And I like it that we will see Frank searching for Claire; trying to convince a skeptical policeman that she did not run off with a lover; and a missing person poster with a sketch of Jamie, which Frank ostensibly will have described as the guy looking in the window that night. This show takes the opportunity to flesh out Frank's character, all to the good of the story. This is a crucial piece of the story that improves upon the book. I read an interview with DG where she said she wished she had written some things like the series tells them instead of the way she wrote them. This may be one of them. -- Lemora, 16:38:58 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Interesting bit about DG, Lemora! I was wondering how she felt about the changes - although I know she is very pleased with it, overall. If I were an author and saw my beloved work from someone else's creative point of view, it would bug me to think I wished I'd done it differently. That's another reason I love seeing the show; it sheds a new light on my favorite story. I love seeing more from Jamie's point of view early on rather than waiting for Fiery Cross (I think is where Jamie gets Claire a posey - one of the first scenes from his POV). -- MaryJ, 17:08:00 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Well, we should consider that Outlander was DG's FIRST novel. Not bad considering how long ago she wrote it! :) BTW, I am liking the episode more each time I watch it. I really think they overhyped the wedding online and that it was a major contributor to my initial disappointment. -- Shadow, 09:22:17 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> That could be. I stay away from ALL spoilers with a fashion. -- conmama, 09:41:43 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> I try hard to avoid spoilers too, conmama. Shadow, I can't believe how many things were in Outlander that held significance for things to come! -- MaryJ, 08:48:28 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I've watched it twice now - Dougal's obvious interest in Claire is very interesting. I also sort of like his realization that once again jamie has stolen the show from him. Jamie was the talk of The Gathering and now this, especially as Claire has made it clear whose wife she is now. I miss the bit of her fainting after the ceremony and waking with her head in Jamie's lap "There's the two of us now". -- kgp, 13:20:38 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Ive seen it three times so far, I still need to watch on the Kindle with captions *g* and with the podcast. -- M&M, 14:33:41 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> While at first, the timeline of this episode threw me off, I think this was the best way to portray it. It would have been boring to film it in the order it occurred in the book. It would have been too much time spent in the bridal chamber with nothing to break it up. I thought the scene with the priest was a waste time and did wish that it was the same church where Claire married Frank but that all takes time and we only have an hour. (though this episode could have been extended!) Overall I'm happy with it. While the strand of pearls was longer than I expected, it does have the gold beads in it, you just couldn't see them. Like the other episodes, things need to be added and changed to make it work and except for the priest scene, it worked for me! Sad to see so many people so upset by it -- Colly, 19:35:17 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I want to comment and response, I will need to wait until tonight-voy format is harder to read that fb, just my IMHO so harder to read everyone's responses, maybe I need to enlarge the fonts. -- LadyBlair, 03:47:29 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I love coming here after each episode and reading your thoughts and critiques, stated in an intelligent manner. Some of the sites on the web get so crazy. I have to admit that I have to watch each episode a few times before I can form a true opinion. The first time I watch I get caught up in all the "differences and deletions" and wonder why some of the most iconic lines are left out. On the second and third viewings I can let go and just enjoy. I loved when Jamie came out in his full regalia, loved the scene with Ned and with Murtagh. I loved how the sex developed throughout the episode. How stunning is Cait/Claire wearing nothing but pearls. On the negative, I didnt like how the ring or the pearls were handled. I miss her getting married in the same church as Frank and swooning and ending up in Jamie's lap. There was so much buildup to the dress and I have to say I wasnt wow'd by it, although I can appreciate how hard it must have been to create. Sam and Cait are awesome together. -- CarolSR, 06:09:56 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I was mulling over why they took so much time with the priest and young Willie exchanging bible verses - perhaps that will be important information when it comes to the witch trial later on, that Willie is able to confront Father Bain? Also - horrible thought - Claire teaching Jamie that a bit of gentle pain during sexy times is okay gets brutally transformed by BJR at Wentworth. - does that make sense to anyone but me? That echo is going to truly mess with Jamie's head. -- kgp, 06:13:09 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Makes absolute, complete sense, kgp! I was watching that bit -- again :) -- and I was thinking, [insert polite expletive here] in a few episodes, BJR will (finally) manage to break him by doing this exact same thing -- but in such a different context. I wonder: if Claire hadn't taught Jamie beforehand that this could be done in love and fun, would she ever be able to get him back as wholly as she did? -- Rita, 06:41:40 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Well, my reaction was not what I was expecting...>>>> -- Kim G, 09:08:42 09/22/14 Mon

At first, I WAS disappointed with the episode. Then I tried to figure out why I felt that way. It was well written, well acted, well filmed. Just what was my problem? Then it hit me...

I first read Outlander a very long time ago. 18 years ago, I think. The first time I read it, parts left me feeling rather disquieted and ill at ease. Then I reread it, and reread again thinking I had missed something, and indeed I had. Diana does not put every little detail in there for you--you have to use your brain. And my problem with the episode was that over years of rereading, I had developed a picture of it in my brain that was different than what Ron presented. Once I realized that, I was ok. And then I loved that about the episode--it brought back all the pondering and thinking, all the disquiet and ill at ease feelings that I had when I read the book the first time. To be honest, that is why I love Diana's writing--I have to THINK while I read, and really work at visualizing what is happening.

And the bottom line is that I trust Ron and Maril et al to get it right, mostly because Diana trusts them and has been happy with the results. So what they are presenting must be fairly close to what Herself sees when she writes. And I can live with that, even if it is different from what I've held in my mind for so long. I must say, parts of the episode were much better that the musty old stuff in my brain!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Agreed! :) I find it funny that some fans get livid about it and here Diana has been okay with it all. :) If there is ever something I dont like I think of The Thorn Birds mini-series. :) -- M-another-M, 09:25:46 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Or Richard Chamberlain in Bourne Identity. *G* I love Richard Chamberlain too, but when I look back on those mini-series I cringe. :) -- M-another-M, 09:26:34 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Oh, geez! The Thorn Birds!! Great way to put it in perspective, LOL!!!! -- MaryJ, 08:49:50 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Well said, Kim! I agree with you. -- Shads, 09:25:49 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Well, that didn't come out right! I meant taht it borught back all the odd feelings I had when I first read the book, and I like that very much: the kind of know what will happen but not really feeling. -- Kim G, 09:33:44 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I'm finding that the unexpected is what I'm starting to enjoy. Many of us have read Outlander so often that we know things by heart. But it's sort of fun now...to sit and watch the series knowing that they are being true to the books...and seeing things "for the first time". Jamie's POV at the wedding is an example...I LOVED that. I didn't really realize how that is making it just a wee more fun each week. Of sure, I don't like it when some of my most favorite things are absent, but having the NEW things happen sort of makes up for it. -- conmama, 09:46:16 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Ok, here's another crazy thought...re; the pearls. At the beginning, Claire is talking about how she feels her old life slipping away, like a strand of pearls that had broken and rolled away one by one. At the end, Jamie gives her a new strand of pearls= a new life ?? maybe I think too much! -- Colly, 10:20:59 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I think it makes sense -- kgp, 11:00:06 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I think they made them long just so they would hang by her boobies.......MEN! Pfffff! -- M-another-M, 11:02:43 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Not so crazy at all, Colly. -- LadyJay, 11:23:21 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I noticed the pearl references, too, Colly. -- MaryJ, 08:54:44 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I picked up on the pearls reference too. We don't think too much, we just have subtle minds. -- albion, 10:01:11 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Can I just say for us oldbies that have discussed the books to death, so much that we really can't discuss them anymore........I'm loving the conversation about the series! Especially here! :) -- M-another-M, 11:01:56 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Me, too M&M. I lived on the Books Board when I first read Outlander in 2006 and never visit them anymore. Don't really even talk about them. This has been just LOADS of fun, like those earlier days for me. Also...I agree with you about the pearls..they just wanted them sexy and hanging about! -- conmama, 11:05:54 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I love coming home after a long day and finding all your comments! And I do agree with KIMG perhaps I don't have to thinks so much seeing the visual medium! Colly I too thought that about the pearls and the comment at the beginning Ron likes all that continuity effect! Did anyone else feel bad for Terry that the abslolutely stunningly beautifuly dress got so little screen time? -- BetsyG, 13:04:47 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Me three! It is like having a chance for it all to be new again - which is making the show fun, and these discussions too. I first came to the Books Board in 2007, but after a while there's just nothing else to say - so this is a wonderful way to reconnect. Rita , thanks for the link to the dress article - amazing that it was bits of mica/quartz that made it shimmer! -- HollyC, 19:07:48 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Our group was definitely in need of rejuvenation, and the show has DEFINITELY done that. :) Still love all you fangirls! -- Reilly, 21:39:08 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> It's a bit like VOYAGER. Twenty years go by, but the magic is still here :) -- Rita, 05:15:54 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Same here, M&M! I think having it done in a new way brings out lots for us to talk about. -- MaryJ, 08:53:24 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Holy COW! I kept scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.................... haven't seen one of these for a long time. :D -- Judie, 17:14:20 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Yes. Cause we're all Series Virgins, so we can discuss "with unflagging joy", eh? *G* -- Merc, 17:26:43 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> wow - seems like old times!! -- kgp, 18:19:52 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I'm loving all the talk about the series, and it is so wonderful we can all be together again! -- Florence, 19:41:54 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Because I need to share this with somebody Jamie's first mmphmmm faces CLICKET -- kgp, 06:08:59 09/24/14 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> LOL!!!! Wow, Jamie! Did you like it???? :D -- Rita, 06:13:31 09/24/14 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Wow! Love it...oh...Sweet Baby James. -- Conmama, 15:46:20 09/24/14 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> OMG God......he needs to close his eyes but then again Claire prolly does thats why he tells she has to open them. She's doing ya a favor Jamie! -- M-another-M, 22:13:30 09/24/14 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Ye liked it Jamie?? Didya now! -- CarolE, 06:37:20 09/25/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.