VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 02:01:24 09/21/14 Sun
Author: ChloeJ
Subject: The first time I read Outlander I didn't realize Jamie was The One
In reply to: Nifty 's message, "Jamie's development so far" on 17:44:40 09/15/14 Mon

I think it is important to try to see the show as a person who hasn't read the books several times (like I have). The first time I read Outlander I didn't even realize it was a romance. And I didn't realize Jamie was the HIA hero until the wedding. Up to that point, Claire and Jamie have some conversations together, but they are not really much more than friends. You don't get the feeling that he's all in love with her until after they are married. Dougal is by far the more important male character in the beginning after she goes through the stones. Dougal protects her from the other men, saves her from BJR, and then finds a way to prevent BJR from torturing her. He's really the hero up until the wedding night.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Good points, all, Chloe. And yeah, Dougal was DG's originally intended hero (named after her own DH after all!), but Jamie and Claire had other ideas. *G* -- Shads, 08:53:46 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I too thought it would be Dougal & Claire. BUT (I'm not sure, now, after so many years and rereads) I think by the time they were on the road, and Dougal did the street number with Jamies's back, and Claire told him to hit something, and then the delicious scene at the inn when he slept at her door-- I think by that time, I was already Team Jamie. And in the series we don't see THAT Jamie so explicitly. I wonder also if they needed to flesh Dougal and make him look more domineering over Jamie, becaus BJR wasn't vilain enough. Not because he's not evil enough, no; but because, in fact, he hasn't much book time, and that wouldn't translate good on screen for teh sole vilain. He only meets Claire three times, and even memorable, they were breief episodes. I believe they needed an antagonist that was more "present" duting the whole plot. -- Rita, 14:35:40 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> JHRC! So many mistakes. I canna type! -- Rita, 14:36:33 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.