VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:06:59 09/21/14 Sun
Author: BetsyG
Subject: Pearls really disappointed! too Hollywood and not the right type they reek to me of ability to commercial market the item obviously show up better but are not believable as being available in 1700 s in a cultured strand like they used. I also missed the church scene did not care for the flash back to civil ceremony
In reply to: DonnaS 's message, "I'm a bit disappointed too. Probably because my brain expected things to play out in book sequence. Must watch a few more times to adjust. Looking forward to Ron's podcast. (Those pearls...what?)" on 20:18:42 09/20/14 Sat

Last edited by author: Sun September 21, 2014 16:06:28   Edited 1 time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> [> The pearls didn't look at all as I imagine them. Plus.... I know it's Jamie, so not possible to be turned off :) but... but... okay, those are his mother's pearls. His mother, who is dead. And he puts them on Claire, while she's naked, and them mmmphmming ensues. I would be perfectly okay with the mmphmming in nothing but the pearls if Claire had already owned them for a while, if they were already HER pearls - Jamie's wife pearls. I thought it was more classy in the books, where he gave her the pear to wear in church. I must be getting old. :) The line about Claire being as precious as the pearls for him, was very sweet and romantic, though. -- Rita (aka FW), 09:04:06 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> First, welcome back, Rita! We've missed you so much. And I agree with you. I think they missed an oportunity for Jamie to stand up to Dougal who first protested Claire wearing Ellen's pearls. In the book he siad, "and now they're myu wife's" with such conviction. I would have like to have seen Dougal's reaction to that, and it would have moved Jamie's character along more into the competent independent man he would become. -- Valerie L., 09:14:25 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Val!!! :D I agree with you -- surprise! :) Another great opportunity to show Jamie's "steel" and having him facing Dougal man to man. First they had quite a lame answer in RENT, when Claire asked him if he would allow Dougal to keep using him -- "he's my uncle" is NOT in the same league as "for now". Jamie comes accross as being under DOugal's thumb, instead of being an intelligent man, who bides his time and will play his cards when the time is right. And in this episode, apart from not having Jamie standing up to DOugal about the pearls, as you well stated, they also allowed Dougal to speak to Jamie about Claire in the crudest of terms AFTER they were married in a tap room full of men. Book!Dougal would never do that, and not only because it would not have been in character to speak like that of someone who is now his niece, but because he knows Jamie wouldn't have it. And TV!Jamie thanks him, and sits down for a drink and a bit of marital-life advice after that? -- Rita (aka FW), 09:53:10 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Oh Rita, I do remember how well in tune you and I always were. Have to agree with you 100% (again, and happy to do so). Just gobsmacked to have you back with us (and agreeing with me, as usual). *G* -- Valerie L., 13:48:23 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Aye! :) And THAT accursed scene will be coming in 2015. We doormats will have some fun, then! :) -- Rita, 14:48:48 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Oh, my fellow doormat, we have missed you. -- Valerie L., 07:49:14 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> LOL I think you would have had him tie her up with the pearls in the old days. LOL -- M&M, 14:27:59 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> LOL! Then that would really be "50 Shades of Plaid", as someone wrote. -- Rita, 15:07:32 09/21/14 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.