VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:08:42 09/22/14 Mon
Author: Kim G
Subject: Well, my reaction was not what I was expecting...>>>>
In reply to: Conmama 's message, "Excellent, fantastic, Bravo!" on 18:59:15 09/20/14 Sat

At first, I WAS disappointed with the episode. Then I tried to figure out why I felt that way. It was well written, well acted, well filmed. Just what was my problem? Then it hit me...

I first read Outlander a very long time ago. 18 years ago, I think. The first time I read it, parts left me feeling rather disquieted and ill at ease. Then I reread it, and reread again thinking I had missed something, and indeed I had. Diana does not put every little detail in there for you--you have to use your brain. And my problem with the episode was that over years of rereading, I had developed a picture of it in my brain that was different than what Ron presented. Once I realized that, I was ok. And then I loved that about the episode--it brought back all the pondering and thinking, all the disquiet and ill at ease feelings that I had when I read the book the first time. To be honest, that is why I love Diana's writing--I have to THINK while I read, and really work at visualizing what is happening.

And the bottom line is that I trust Ron and Maril et al to get it right, mostly because Diana trusts them and has been happy with the results. So what they are presenting must be fairly close to what Herself sees when she writes. And I can live with that, even if it is different from what I've held in my mind for so long. I must say, parts of the episode were much better that the musty old stuff in my brain!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Agreed! :) I find it funny that some fans get livid about it and here Diana has been okay with it all. :) If there is ever something I dont like I think of The Thorn Birds mini-series. :) -- M-another-M, 09:25:46 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Or Richard Chamberlain in Bourne Identity. *G* I love Richard Chamberlain too, but when I look back on those mini-series I cringe. :) -- M-another-M, 09:26:34 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Oh, geez! The Thorn Birds!! Great way to put it in perspective, LOL!!!! -- MaryJ, 08:49:50 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Well said, Kim! I agree with you. -- Shads, 09:25:49 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Well, that didn't come out right! I meant taht it borught back all the odd feelings I had when I first read the book, and I like that very much: the kind of know what will happen but not really feeling. -- Kim G, 09:33:44 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I'm finding that the unexpected is what I'm starting to enjoy. Many of us have read Outlander so often that we know things by heart. But it's sort of fun now...to sit and watch the series knowing that they are being true to the books...and seeing things "for the first time". Jamie's POV at the wedding is an example...I LOVED that. I didn't really realize how that is making it just a wee more fun each week. Of sure, I don't like it when some of my most favorite things are absent, but having the NEW things happen sort of makes up for it. -- conmama, 09:46:16 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.