VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:34:37 09/22/14 Mon
Author: Rita
Subject: An episode 7 appreciation post :)

After (avidly) reading everyone's first impressions, and following the sage advice of several ladies in the thread below, I embarked on my [it's official. I now lost count] rewatch of Episode 7, concentrating on what was happening on screen, instead of comparing it with the expectations inside my head.

Outstanding acting by everyone, but I think Sam Heughan really shone in this episode, with his mix of cool, eagerness, and vulnerability. And the subtle Jamie gestures -- tapping his fingers, smiling in his sleep... Lovely.

And I decided to list my TOP 3 moments, whether or not they were in the books. I wasna expecting to find that two of them are actually TV!outlander-only scenes.

#1 - Jamie's courtly bow.

I have a very soft spot for Jamie being an aristocrat and a gentleman -- well, he *IS* an aristocrat by birth, and always behaves as a gentleman, but in Outlander (meaning the first book) we only get glimpses of Lord Broch Tuarach. So I loved to see the sun come out in the person of James, the determined stride, hand on heart, that perfect bow, your servant, madam. (Melts)

#2 - Jamie's toast.

He was SO ENDEARING! Talk about being out of his comfort zone! His first time, with a sulking wife, determined to fall into his arms, but unfortunately as in the falling-dead-drunk sense. And he comes up with that lovely toast. Forbears marital reproach as Claire downs three glasses in a row under his nonplussed gaze. And then steps in to put her at ease, so gently... Again, very gentleman-like, and terribly sweet.

#3 - Jamie caressing Claire's hair *after* she rebuffs him the first time.

This is when Claire sits at the table and Jamie goes behind her to touch her neck and hair. She recoils from his touch and he walks away round the table. He could hover behind her, but he didn't, I think so she wouldn't be nervous. And then she says "sorry", and he goes back and starts over again. It would be much easier for him to just say "it's all right" and let matters take their course. I don't think he did it because he wanted to touch her (he did, of course, but he had restrained himself earlier, so he would restrain himself now too). He did it to show Claire he was okay with letting her set the pace, and that he wasn't offended or resentful -- a lesser man could be. That took guts, to go at it again even when he wasn't certain she wouldn't recoil again, or -- worse -- if she would hate it and steel herself to bear it. And by that time, I believe he was still very sensitive in what regards his bedroom-skills, because, let's face it, Claire wasn't exactly enthusiastic in her praises, after the "50 seconds of Jamie".

So, favorite moments, anyone? So I can go and rewatch then with extra care?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> First let me say that I LOVED ep 7. It was truly a feast for the senses. My favorite moment is their final love scene, when she straddles him. This is them making love, not having sex. Through their looks and touches it was so touchingly beautiful and erotic. I was just stunned at the acting here. -- AJ, 12:47:58 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I agree with yours listed above, for the same reasons. The acting was brilliant. I also adored the final love scene, and the next morning (before the ring rolls away) how they are a unit now. I loved Murtagh especially, so sweet and fatherly to Jamie. I've rewatched that scene several times. I just really liked the whole thing. I think I'm at viewing #7 now and don't plan on stopping! -- TracyAnn, 13:10:40 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I think I've seen it that many times too! I can't seem to get enough. And I pick up new things every time I watch. Check out Angus when they unveil Claire's dress at the wedding. He's in the background cleaning his ears! -- AJ, 13:42:08 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Hahahahaha! He is! LOL! That's genius! :D I love the men. I admit, Jamie aside, I think Dougal and Murtagh are magnificient, but I'll confess that by now, I'd even date Rupert. He's so funny! :) -- Rita, 13:51:22 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Rupert reminds me of an old friend, so I think he's absolutely adorable. Which I probably wouldn't have said about book Rupert, but i like show Rupert! -- TracyAnn, 16:39:29 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> "Ye'll be giving me the goat!!!" Got to love him! :D -- Rita, 16:45:15 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> It takes me watching at least twice to really appreciate a new episode and let it stand on its own. I've watched this one about 4 times now and like it more each time I see it. I enjoyed the flashbacks—they served as a nice contrast with her relationship to Frank, continued to flesh out the secondary characters even more, and they shined a light on Jamie's strength and character. As for top three moments, my #1 on a Facebook post from earlier today was the same as yours—the courtly bow. I also added the slow deliberate recitation of his full name as part of that. (Ahhh, JAMMF!) In second place would be the scene as Jamie leaves the confines of the bedchamber and endures the ribald jests of the MacKenzies downstairs—that looked exactly the way that I'd pictured it since the first time I read it. Murtagh's godfatherly punch on the shoulder was a bonus. And in third place would be the morning after. They looked so happy together, at least until Jamie left and the ring dropped. -- LadyJay, 14:29:42 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> 50 seconds is generous. I counted 20 hippopotomi but confess I lost count a couple of times [BG]. It was a very accurate representation of a first time though. Rupert is sweet and Angus is coming around. Murtagh's reminiscence about Ellen's smile is also a sweet moment. -- kgp, 16:31:11 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Haha...I did the same counting too and came to 20! -- Conmama, 17:55:18 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> caught the last half of the episode, aka Jamie's first BJ; the lad is a quick study. -- kgp, 19:05:19 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I enjoyed the episode and loved when J and C are talking in bed after the first time. It sets up the playful intimacy they develop as a couple. -- MonicaW, 17:26:07 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I loved, loved, loved this episode. Top 3 moments: #1 - the aching vulnerability and sadness Jamie expresses when he asks Claire if she liked it, and assumes she didn't when she doesn't answer. #2 - the entire scene from "take off your shirt so I can look at you," to Jamie falling asleep, and #3 - Ned buying the wedding gown. It was so comical and cute. The script structure of this episode was bloody brilliant! Starting with a wee bit of Frank, but putting him away for the entire wedding night, the flashbacks that broke up the wedding night, the comic scenes with Ned, Rupert and Angus (can we just all them Rupus??), interspersed with beautiful honeymoon scenes that were tempered by the realism of a first time and a torn between two men Claire. LOVED IT!! -- Lady_Jane, 17:36:16 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I got a little Teary eyed watching the wedding....the music was so beautiful. -- Conmama, 17:57:27 09/22/14 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> You know, this episode becomes more appealing every time I watch it. I'm certain my initial disappointment in it was due to the overdone advertising. My anticipation was so ramped up that the book was again fresh in my mind, which narrowed the necessary distance between the show and the novel and made all the adaptive changes too prominent. I've seen it 4 times now, including watching last night with the podcast. I now think the flashback format was a good choice and I'm mostly comfortable with the changes. I still think it demeans Dougal's character to have him hitting on Claire on her freaking wedding night, though! Dougal might be a randy old devil and a sly SOB, but I did think he was a man of honor in his own way. -- Shadow, 07:24:11 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Plus, Dougal's married - though they haven't mentioned it in the series. I was trying to remember his daughter's names on my way to work. One is Tibby, she's the one who kissed Jamie whe he was fostering there. -- kgp, 08:04:32 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I agree, I think we watch it differently that most people, so when we watch it that third or forth time *g* we better see how it flows and why they did what they did. The podcast are great for that, I love them. :) -- M-another-M, 08:04:46 09/23/14 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.