[ Show ]
[ Shrink ]
Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor
of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users'
privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your
privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket
to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we
also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.
Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):
[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:15:02 06/20/04 Sun
Author: Irish News
Subject: The Late 'Red Mickey' & Bloody Sunday
In reply to:
Friends Of Irish Freedom
's message, "BLOODY SUNDAY MARCH & MASS- NYC" on 18:19:53 01/30/03 Thu
Former IRA man shot on Bloody Sunday
The death has occurred of the Only IRA man to be wounded by British troops on
Bloody Sunday. Michael Doherty (58) popularly known as 'Red' Mickey Doherty
was buried at Derry City Cemetery yesterday. He died after a short illness at
Altnagelvin hospital on Monday.
A Former member of the Official IRA in 1972, Mr Doherty was injured when he
engaged British Troops on the evening of Bloody Sunday, after Paratroopers had
Shot 13 people dead and injured a further 14. Mr Doherty opened fire on a British
Army checkpoint at Barrack Street (no longer extant) in the Long Tower area of
the City. When soldiers returned fire, he was wounded in the leg.
He went to the home of a community leader in Derry' s Bogside, where he received
medical treatment from Dr Donal Mc Dermott, who passed away earlier this year.
After receiving treatment he left the house.
At his funeral yesterday , which followed Requiem Mass at St Eugene's Cathedral his former commanding officer gave a short oration. He said there was no need to conceal the identity of the IRA man. Mr Doherty declined to make a statement to the Saville Inquiry despite frequent requests from lawyers representing former British soldiers to make himself known.
Meanwhile, at yesterday's hearing of the Saville Inquiry in London a former Paratrooper denied he had telephoned relatives of two victims in 1997 or 1998 to apologise for the deaths of their loved ones.
Michael Mansfield QC - appearing for the families of William and Alex Nash
and Bernard Mc Guigan - said William Nash's sister and Mr Mc Guigan's daughter both received telephone calls around Easter 1997 or 1998.
"They both received a telephone call late one night and in the early hours of a morning from somebody with a Welsh voice who was very distressed on the telephone, and who was crying and said 'forgive me, forgive, I am sorry for what happened' ," he said.
Mr Mansfield said both women listened to yesterday's evidence and recognised Soldier S's voice, Soldier S denied that he had made the call. He also gave the Inquiry a name of another Welsh soldier.
The former soldier - who claimed he fired at possibly two different civilian gunmen - also told the inquiry he regretted Bloody Sunday.
"I have Christian beliefs, and I live by a Christian standard myself. This is a tragedy ; it is a tragedy for everybody. I realise that and I am sorry that innocent people got killed on that day," he said.
He denied a claim by Barry MacDonald QC, appearing for the Bloody Sunday families, that he lied to the inquiry when he said he fired 12 shots at gunmen.
Mr MacDonald said it was unlikely that civilians would have stood between him and a gunman when he was firing at the target, as Soldier S claimed. He suggested he made up the story.
Taken from An Irish News article by Seamus Mc Kinney.
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |