VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:12:17 09/25/02 Wed
Author: Russ
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 217.42.43.86
Subject: Re: Hope Powell
In reply to: Voice of Reason 's message, "Re: Hope Powell" on 12:31:40 09/25/02 Wed

There is certainly a strong argument in what you are saying. My daughters (who play for Crewe Vagrants and Girls team) had the good fortune to sit next to the Atlanta Beat head coach on Sunday. He was looking for talented ladies for the overseas draft for next year's WUSA season. It was interesting to see that he was looking at the players who were prepared to make the difference ie not the ones who were playing the percentage balls. It was also nice to see that he was asking my 15 year old daughter her opinion on players and funnily enough agreeing with her judgement.

Anyway I digress.

I think most people who have watched the game develop in the States will have observed that the Americans look for players with good athletic ability AND that ability to make the difference. Players that are intelligent and are prepared to change the pattern of the game with their own skill and decision making. So I ask you, is it the experience of the manager that matters or the ethos employed?

I also believe that continuity is vital. Chopping and changing will only cause problems. Long term, Hope is going in the right direction. She has implemented a long term plan which is starting to show results with the new breed of women player starting to emerge at the national level for example Farrah Williams.

As one who is involved in coaching at the u12 age group, I can assure you that the future is bright. No it is brilliant!!! I had 15 at training tonight and all of them will be stars if they continue in the game.

If each of the clubs who are in the West Midland League put a club structure in place that positively encourages and nurtures young talent, we will have a fantastic future at the National level.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+1
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.