[ Show ]
[ Shrink ]
Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor
of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users'
privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your
privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket
to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we
also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.
Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):
|Wed, September 18 2019, 23:50||
[ Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search |
Check update time
| Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ]
[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message ]
Date Posted: - Tuesday - 09/ 3/13 - 12:19am
Subject: Fasteners and fitting to samson posts
In reply to:
's message, "bow sprit" on - Monday - 09/ 2/13 - 1:07pm
I remember Annie Hill talking about constructing the hull of BADGER out of plywood and epoxy. They would use fasteners to fit the pieces in place and hold all together while the epoxy set, and then when set, they'd remove the fasteners because they weren't necessary and they could then use them somewhere else. They were extremely frugal, she and her husband. BADGER spent time in the southern ocean, so I guess she was strong enough.
Regarding the fit of the sprit to the Samson posts, see my post on replacing Murre's bow sprit. I assume the 40 and the 31 have a similar set up. The sprit is notched to butt up against the posts AND a cap block on the deck. See the drawings in particular.
On Murre there's a 5/16ths through bolt that passes through both the Samson post and the sprit and anchors it in place (when replaced I went to 3/8ths). There was also a long bolt through the sprit and down through the deck that I did not replace. Didn't find it necessary. This bolt had an eye on top that was used for the storm jib, but I moved this eye to the side deck. Much of the rot in the sprit was at this point.
Another neat trick from Bruce on Gitana Vella. Drill out the fitting holes double large and fill with epoxy. Then drill for your fasteners. Good rot protection. Again, see my post.
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
[> [> [> [> [> [>
sprit -- andrew, - Tuesday - 09/ 3/13 - 9:56pm
Well thanks again for the comments.
I must say that its hard to believe that epoxy alone will be strong enough to keep it all together under all those loads but I guess it works.
Having said that, it is the joins that have caused the problems where water has got in and migrated up and down and began rotting.
But I think that it is the original so i guess that that's pretty good for a 40+ year old boat.
If I can post some photos, I will of the damage.
Then I will chronicle the rebuild.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]
Forum timezone: GMT-5|
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.