VoyForums

Tue, July 07 2020, 05:52Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: - Thursday - 01/ 9/20 - 1:26am
Author: 6andyinchigasaki8
Subject: Close to buying a Mariner 40

Hello from a new member living in Japan. While looking on-line, I recently came across a 1970 Far East Mariner 40 located right here in Japan. I knew nothing about them or their history, but this boat spoke to me, so I began researching and found that it was made down the street from where I currently live in the Yokosuka area. I have been told it is one of two that were not exported. The boat is moored about 7 hours drive south of me.

In Japan, boat surveyors are not a thing, so I am on my own. I'm going to inspect it this weekend (in the water). I have read on this site and know about the interior plywood used on the deck and house. I have a mechanic to look at the engine. Any thoughts on what else I should pay particular attention to? I can't get it hauled any time soon as the nearest marina is booked solid, so I'd appreciate advice on how to look for evidence of bad keel bolts.

I should add that I've seen over 100 close up photos of the boat, and it looks to be in good shape. I expect to replace and/or repair the rigging and sails and electronics, so I'm not concerned about the condition of those things. I just don't want to find I've bought a boat that is too far gone in some hidden aspects to ever make it right again.

Thanks,

Andy

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.