VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Sat, June 15 2024, 16:44Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]


[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: - Wednesday - 08/20/08 - 1:30am
Author: Randall
Subject: SUMMARY OF MATERIALS
In reply to: Randall, M31, Murre 's message, "Aft Cabin Bulkhead Replacement" on - Monday - 01/21/08 - 9:56pm

WOOD

-One sheet of 5/8ths Okume marine plywood.

*I stuck with the original thickness due to the tightness of fit between the inside of the splashboard shoulder and the inside of the cabin side framing. Also, beefing up the thickness too much would have thrown off the fit, as the bottom and top of the bulkhead fasten on opposite sides. That said, I did install heavy glass on the bulkhead’s exterior, which added a lot of strength without affecting the fit too much.
*After cutting out the aft cabin bulkhead, there was enough left over to make the starboard “quarter berth” bulkhead.

-Random pieces of ½” Okume ply left over from the 2003 deck job, this for the battery box.

-A few feet of 8x4 Santa Maria was needed for the athwartships frame and the battery box.

-One small piece of ¼” ply for the navigation shelf.


RESIN AND GLASS

-Two gallons of resin and equivalent hardner.
*I used West System brand epoxy only because I’m use to it.
*All joints were bonded with epoxy mixed with West 406 Colloidal Silica.
*Both West 407 Low Density and 410 Micro Light fairing powder were used.

-Six yards of 18oz roving and six yards of 1.5oz mat, used to sheath the exterior of the aft cabin bulkhead and both sides of the “quarter berth” bulkhead.

-Five yards of 6” Biaxial Tape, used to lock the athwartships deck beam to the hull and to itself and to secure the “quarter berth” bulkhead.

-Five yards of very light 6” tape, used to seal the aft cabin bulkhead and coach deck joint.


FASTENERS

All are listed in the above text and none were of quantities to warrant purchasing in quantity. Stainless steel fasteners were used throughout, and all ring nails were replaced with wood screws.


PAINT AND VARNISH

Paint: One quart Interlux Brightside White and one quart Interlux Brightside Hatteras blended as per above (this was enough for the bulkhead and cabin top).

Varnish: One quart Epiphanes for the interior (used about half) and Cetol Light for the exterior (eyebrows and hatch frame touch-up only).


SPECIALTY TOOLS

*A very thin, wide and long spatula helps to separate joints with minimal damage to the wood.
*The Fein Multi Master: buy it; love it--I'm not kidding!
*Large tailor's scissors are expensive but make precise cutting of heavy glass a breeze.
*The drill press—I know one can make wood plugs with a hand drill, but I couldn't figure out how.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]


[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.