[ Show ]
[ Shrink ]
Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor
of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users'
privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your
privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket
to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we
also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.
Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):
[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02:01:29 06/13/03 Fri
Author: Mr John D Clare
In reply to:
's message, "1905" on 23:52:07 06/12/03 Thu
1. 'Agrarian' is just another word for 'agricultural', and here what you need to know about is the problems Russia had feeding its people - the food riots which started the revolution/ the famine during the Civil War - which led to Stalin's policy of collectivisation (see <a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.johndclare.net/Russ10.htm).">http://www.johndclare.net/Russ10.htm).</a>
2. 'industrialisation' - this is just the 5-year plans (see <a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.johndclare.net/Russ11.htm).">http://www.johndclare.net/Russ11.htm).</a>
Was really part of Stalin's attempt to destroy all opposition (see <a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.johndclare.net/Russ12.htm).">http://www.johndclare.net/Russ12.htm).</a>
Communism was a philosophy by which to live the whole of your life. The Bolsheviks had no time for 'nationalism'. They therefore ruthlessly stamped out national identity in the states which were part of the Soviet Union. So they tried to turn everyone into Russians - Khrushchev said: "The sooner we all start speaking Russian, the faster we shall build communism."
This process - trying to make all the Soviet Union the same (like Russia) - is called 'russification'. The key elements were:
- making everyine speak Russian.
- putting Russian Communists into positions of power in the states.
- Moving thousands of Russians in to settle.
- deporting thousands of local people to live elsewhere in the Soviet Union.
- destroying local traditions and culture
- (in places like Turkistan) attacking the Muslim religion.
- sending anyone who protested to the Gulag.
So, in Belorussia, Stalin ruthlessly executed the Belorussian leaders in purges and put Russians into govt jobseg, . The Belorussian language was unofficially banned from govt., schools, and newspapers, and Belorussian national culture was suppressed. When some students and writers tried to keep Belorussian traditions alive, they were watched by the KGB, fired from their jobs and arrested. Approx. 15% of Belorussian peasants were deported to concentration camps east of the Urals, where most of them died.
The same thing happened in other states - eg., Stalin developed such hatred for the Ukrainians that Khrushchev was led to say in his “secret speech” of 1956 that Stalin would have liquidated the Ukrainians entirely if there had not been so many.
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
[ Contact Forum Admin ]
Forum timezone: GMT+0|
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.