VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]3 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:29:46 12/19/04 Sun
Author: Kristin
Author Host/IP: 66.19.102.123
Subject: Re: 6 Mth. old Deaf Boxer Extremely Hyperactive & Destructive
In reply to: Rick 's message, "6 Mth. old Deaf Boxer Extremely Hyperactive & Destructive" on 11:43:29 12/19/04 Sun

First, get to a professional all-positive trainer. You need some help in basic dog obedience training. Remember, dog training is a system of rewards and punishments, but punishments should never be harsh. I consider spanking to be harsh and unnecessary. What you need are tools to train your dog that won't hurt the relationship bond you're trying to build. Spanking will do that. The dog will quit trusting you, and then you're up the creek.

There's no excuse to ever hit a dog. There's too many other good options out there.

Second, what you've got is a puppy. Boxer puppies are known for their activity levels. What he needs is something to do. Training is a great way to burn off some of his energy. If you don't give him a job, he'll find his own job, and you won't like it!

Also, when you have a puppy, he should never be out of your site when out of his crate (except in his backyard). I use a baby gate and keep my puppies in whatever room I'm in. Then, they can't get into trouble without me seeing it. My rule of thumb is that a dog is a puppy until they're two. Some breeds never really grow up. Bad news for you - boxers are one of those breeds. Hopefully, your dog will mature some, but he will probably act like a puppy for life.

What I want you to do is get a newspaper. Roll it up and put rubber bands on both ends. Put it on your coffee table. When your puppy gets in trouble without you noticing it, take the newspaper and beat yourself on the head with it. It's your fault. You should have been watching your puppy!

Puppies are like toddlers, and I know you wouldn't leave a toddler unsupervised in your house to roam around and get into trouble.

Another suggestion is to take a long leash. Tie it to your waist and hook it onto the dog. As your walking around, your puppy will always be with you. This is called the umbilical cord method, and it also improves relationship building.

Also, remember you CANNOT punish a dog for a bad behavior if over three seconds has passed since the behavior occured. If your dog is chewing in a pillow and quits two minutes before you walk in the room and discover the destruction - too late. You've missed your opportunity to train. Get out your newspaper and hit yourself on the head.

This is called the "Three Second Rule," and if you don't obey it, your dog won't know what he's being punished for. He'll just know that sometimes you walk in a room and are happy and sometimes you walk in a room and aren't. It will destroy your relationship.

There's a ton more for you to learn. The internet will not solve your problem with an active puppy.. You must seek a professional trainer. And, I wouldn't describe your pup as "overactive." He's a normal Boxer. They're a bundle of energy and get into everything. Consistant, positive, long-term training is all that will help you.

Your pup doesn't need to be medicated. He needs proper training!

Good luck, and let us know how he does.

-Kristin

PS - I don't mean to sound harsh, but it will make or break your puppy if you don't get to training with him. Also, crates aren't good places for time outs. Crates should be a dogs "safe zone." A trainer can give you other options for time-outs, which are a good training method if used for short spans of time (30 seconds).

Our deaf boxer just turned 7 mths. old. We got him
>when he was 5 mths.. He displayed hyperactivity from
>the beginning but we thought it was because he was in
>a new environment. He takes a few commands and seems
>to be very intelligent, but the hyperactivity has
>become almost manic at times and he is randomly
>tearing up the house. There is no method to his
>patterns, he just destroys everything he can get to.
>He is punished by spanking and being put in his crate.
>He seems to know he has done wrong but will do the
>same thing again.PLEASE HELP ME -- I love this dog and
>want to help him. Does he need medicine for his
>hyperactiviy or what?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.