VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:44:33 01/30/06 Mon
Author: fidhle
Subject: Re: Never say always
In reply to: manwitch 's message, "Re: Never say always" on 06:17:04 01/30/06 Mon

Actually, I believe that SMG has often acknowledged that Buffy was very important television and was grateful for the experience of being on the show. In fact, I sometimes think that she has been spoiled in a way by the experience because it seems to me that she is looking for important roles in which she can play the moving character of a show. Certainly, the attraction of The Grudge, to give an example, was the fact that they were going to be doing a Japanese style thriller for western audiences, as opposed to an American remake of a Japanese film. Interviews from her promotions of that film indicate that that was a major part of her motivation.

She also seems to like to be in independent films, some of which may depend on her name recognition for funding. The attraction seems to be working with specific directors. Examples are The Return and Southland Tales. With the exception of the Scooby Doo films, where the attraction seemed to be money and working with Freddy, her choices of roles seems to be somewhat more adventurous rather than mainstream Hollywood in character. If she can make a career of that, and if she enjoys those types of roles, then more power to her.

I also believe that she is studying being a producer. I know that she went to New York for the purpose of purchasing rights to some books for future films. I tend to think she might do quite well in that regard. SMG, while she does just have a high school education, is an avid reader and has learned a lot from her 24 years of experience in acting. In addition to being an excellent technical actor, she has also been very aware of lighting and camera angles and has, from published reports, often saved shots because of her awareness. There was one scene where she tenderly stroked Dawn's hair in one of the episodes. That tender scene was there because she recognized that Dawn's hair was blocking the light on Dawn's face, so she moved the hair to save the shot, as well as giving additional meaning to the scene. There was an interview with Schimerman, who played Principal Snyder, in which he said that he forgot his lines, but she helped him save the shot by mouthing them to him while she was off camera, having either read his lines or heard them enough to have memorized them. To me, those are signs of a very intelligent and professional actor.

I would not describe her as not well educated, but rather as a very intelligent person who has lots of on-the-job training and education and who reads a lot. Of course, when she is being interviewed or appears on TV talk shows, she is the performer who is a bit of a chatterbox and a jokester. All part of the act folks, all part of the act.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.