VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:04:03 04/13/06 Thu
Author: OnM
Subject: Re: Spoilers for Lost "SOS"
In reply to: Rufus 's message, "Spoilers for Lost "SOS"" on 03:37:25 04/13/06 Thu

WARNING: EXTREMELY RAMBLEACIOUS TANGENTIALISM FOLLOWS!

No, they haven't changed, and the new info that was revealed about Rose and Locke having contact before the crash, and that Rose was afflicted with an "incurable" health problem is some additional reinforcement for the whole deal.

Basically, what is happening on the island cannot be explained by the way we currently understand how the universe works (we being primarily Western science/logic oriented. It certainly does not fit Christian (or similar) religious afterlife concepts, if we are assuming the folks on the island are deceased and this is some kind of afterlife.

So, what is left? You basicially have "magic", but if that turns out to be the case when all is said and done and explained by the writers, I will be disappointed, because I'd see that as a cop-out, same as if the "it's all a dream" version were being presented. I'd like something more challenging.

So, whatever turns out to be the answer, I want it to be internally logical and sport a degree of "reasonableness" even if the universe being posited is very unconventional-- kind of like the cosmological theory that people could live on the inside surface of a huge hollow sphere instead of on the external surface, with the sun at the center of the interior of the sphere, that kind of thing.

I think that many people have trouble with the (sub)conscious-thought-begats-literal-reality concept because we assume that the overall constitution of the universe is matter based, when it is perfectly possible that it may not be. I believe that we as a species are being presumptuous when we presume that we have pretty much figured out all the forms of energy that exist, when in fact if we don't know how to test or measure for alternate/additional forms, where do we obtain empirical data regarding them?

Carl Sagan once has a very good response to Biblical creationist proponents who insisted that evolution could only work if huge amounts of time were allowed for the building blocks of life to mutate randomly into what eventually became humans (or for that matter, other animals and plant life).

Sagan agreed that this was true, and asked why is the long time required a problem? When asking creationists who created God, creationists inevitably respond that "God has always existed". Sagan then pointed out that if God has always existed, then it is reasonable for the universe to have always existed, and thus have allowed plenty of time for evolution to occur. After all, even a trillion billion years is still way shorter than infinity.

Now, if the universe started out as randomly scattered bits of energy, and over a long time that energy became increasingly coherent and evolved into intelligent energy, and the intelligent energy later transformed still other energies into matter...

Ahh, what the hell. I haven't a clue. So, if the Wachowski's want to start another religion/philosophy, I say go for it. The old religions/philosophies are getting kind of stale these days.

;-)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.