VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:54:24 03/11/04 Thu
Author: LarryL9797
Subject: Heads Held HIGH

First, I think it was a real class act for Howie and the players to stay on court for the NEC presentation. I am sure that I speak for all TRUE BLUE central fans that that act is a true reflection of what Howie and the coaches stand for and what Howie wants his players to stand for.

I think that the team should walk around with their heads held high! They went in to a hostile gym and gave it 100% I am sure that a ton of people were questioning weather the team would make the NEC tourney in the first place. Just think if a few more shots dropped in the first half. The outcome might have been much different. But thatís basketball!

Now there are some positive things that came out of CCSU getting to the finals and losing.
1. Pretty good national exposure - recruiting tool
2. Motivation for next year - freshmen and Sophs will be motivated to work in the off season and hit the weights, work on free throws, work on the basics
3. NIT Invite? Maybe
4. The freshman get some big game experience. They were a little vapor locked last night

Now I know that everybody is real bummed that Ron Robinson is graduating and loosing the NEC POTY is pretty big. But keep in mind that Howie ALways ALWAYS puts together a team that will have potential for NEC greatness. Basically, Howie knows who he needs to challenge for next year and what holes to fill.

One thing that worries me is player retention. Now i know every D1 coach goes through players walking out the door. But basically ,all the time the coach/assistants give to that player goes out the door as well where that energy can be spent on other players. Not to mention the time that the team spends gelling into a team.
I know that howie spells it out pretty clearly what is expected before the player signs on; And that at the NEC level of D1 play, some recruits are projects. But having a core of players that have years ( not months ) of gel time is CRITICAL to Centrals success and growth. Too many kids have walked out the door in the last 2 years. Howie will not stand for Prima-donnas and I donít blame him but the sting of a player walking out the door lasts years.

And now it looks like T-ron is a goner as well. (maybe)

Let me say that I am sure howies budget is not as big as most of the private schools in conference. I am constantly amazed what he gets done and that CCSU is a top contender!

I wish all of you a great spring / summer and remember its only 8 months until we start talking round ball again! And if anyone hears some good poop on off season goings on. By all means post it!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Heads Held HIGH -- ScottS, 16:12:14 03/11/04 Thu

Where did you hear that TRon might be leaving?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Heads Held HIGH -- Larryl9797, 16:45:18 03/11/04 Thu

He was no where to be found for the final game. Soneone asked CJ Jones where he was and all CJ said was " no comment" Mind you I am only making an assumption.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Heads Held HIGH -- ScottS, 07:13:51 03/12/04 Fri

Well, the way things have gone over the last couple years with players leaving, I don't blame you for making that assumption. That will be unfortunate if he is gone for good.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.