[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 14:15:22 03/06/13 Wed
Both general experience and accumulating results from scientific studies indicate that the lifestyle you have in a great degree determines your risk for getting cancer. The diet you consume can greatly reduce or greatly increase the risk for a cancer to start, and even influence the speed of growth for a manifest cancer.
The diet has however a somewhat different influence on different types of cancer, so it is useful to look up specific diet advices for cancers you have a special risk for. Here are however some general cancer preventive diet advices. These advices will also help you to avoid heart disease.
ADVICES ABOUT YOUR GENERAL DIET
A diet with the aim of preventing cancer is generally the same as a diet to prevent heart disease and other diseases. Your general diet should be composed according to the following principles:
- Eat fish at least every second day. Also eat seafood and poultry.
- Eat at least 5 fruits or vegetable servings each day. Each piece should be of the size of an apple or carrot. They should preferably be eaten raw.
- Eat full corn bread, full corn cereals, peas, beans and potatoes.
- Do not eat much red meat.
- Avoid or reduce the amount of food that are industrially processed, artificially made or heavily fried.
- Eat just a moderate amount of fat. Provide that you are not over-weight.
- Ideally most fat you eat, should be of the type mono-unsaturated. You also need some poly-unsaturated fat of the types omega-3 and omega 6, but not too much of omega-6. The consumption of saturated fat should be moderate.
- In order to achieve a right fat balance, much of the fat supply should come from a blending of sources like olive, olive oil, rape oil, flax oil nuts, nut oil, almonds, sunflower, sunflower oil, fish and fish oil.
- Use only a moderate amount of soy oil and corn oil in the diet. Only using such oil types will give you too much poly-unsaturated fat of the omega-6-type, which will promote cancer growth.
- Use just a very moderate amount of fat sources like butter, coconut oil and palm oil. A high consumption of these fat sources gives you too much saturated fat.
- Avoid altogether fat that has been chemically altered, giving so-called trans-fat. This type of fat is often found in margarine, cookies, snacks, fast food and other pre-made food.
- Consume just a very moderate amount of sugar, refined flour or refined cereals.
- Have just a moderate consumption of alcohol but a certain alcohol consume is good. Some coffee or tea is good to drink each day.
- Use just a moderate amount of salt in the food. However, in warm weather and by hard physical work, you will need more salt.
SPECIFIC FOOD TYPES THAT COUNTERACT CANCER
Some specific foods or beverages seem to protect well against cancer, and some of these should be in your daily diet.
- Generally plants, fruits and spices with a strong colour or a strong taste have cancer preventing effects because of the contents of bioflavonids and other anti-oxidants.
- Kale, chia seeds, flax, turmenic, broccoli, cabbage, mustard, red pepper and cauliflower are plant materials with proven strong cancer preventing effects.
- Evidence points to the conclusion that green tea can help prevent cancer. Some studies have indicated that drinking coffee reduces the incidence of cancer. Red wine seems to be a good cancer preventive remedy.
SOME CONTROVERSIAL POINTS
A high enough consume of vitamins and minerals is essential for the ability of the body to protect itself against the development of cancers. Especially seems vitamin D to be an important factor. But a too high vitamin supply can give the opposite result for some cancer types. If you manage to follow the advices depicted above, you will not need much extra vitamin and mineral supply for this specific purpose.
Some evidence seem to indicate that a high consume of milk and diary products, and other products with a high calcium content, can promote prostate cancer and ovarian cancer, but it can on the other hand protect against bowel cancer. This gives a dilemma. But evidence also seems to indicate that enough vitamin D hinders this negative effect of diary products. In either case it does not seem to be a good idea to totally stop using diary products, since you also need a good calcium supply for other reasons.
Knut Holt is an internet marketer interested in the health field. To read more about health topics and to find natural products for treatment of problems in the muscles, joints, windpipe, stomach, nervous system, circulation and hormonal system, please see his web-site:
To read more about lifestyle measures to prevent cancer, please go here:
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]