VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:34:56 03/26/07 Mon
Author: ben
Author Host/IP: netblock-72-25-103-119.dslextreme.com / 72.25.103.119
Subject: Re: Safari BS
In reply to: Another Mac Friend 's message, "Re: Safari BS" on 06:12:10 03/18/07 Sun

its all relative what one user may find useful/essential features another might find as bloat... safari version 1.x for os x 10.3.x did not have the option of redoing the U.I., so I used a "text" work around, when safari 2.0 came out with 10.4.x I did find that feature a long time ago, but never updated my web page...

I've been using various computers now for since the early '80s and switched to the mac way back in 1996 from PCs and unix machines. Back in the early days to make machines run more efficently, knowledgeable users disabled features they didn't need or use. I've used "vi" and other editors like "bbedit" more often than microsoft work to write stuff cause I don't need the bloat and it gets the job done, like wise I still use a DOS version of LOTUS 123 on my macmini with a G4 cause I'm happy with the fact that it does what I need it to do and the whole OS/program/data only takes 30 Mb.

There are some advantages to knowing about how old stuff works, for example with Mac OS 9.x I've found out that I can poke around MAC OS 10.4.x created on the G3/G4/G5 files no matter what the system permissions are, I'm not sure that is possible with intel based mac's because I have not played around with newer mac's.

The end goal of a computer is to actually get work done, no matter the OS (CPM, DOS, 'NIX, MAC), and that is a point lost on many people, basically if old stuff does the job I follow the rule "if it works, don't fix it!"

>>I came across your page with so-called OS X tips. FYI
>>Safari does have a Home Page icon AND a print icon.
>>All you have to do is go View->Customize Address Bar
>>and drag the Home and print icons next to your refresh
>>icon. Maybe you should spend some more time with OS X
>>instead of OS 9
>
>Well said!
>
>It's been a while since I've come across someone
>intent on fiddling with things for the sake of it with
>no regard to the fact you are removing
>useful/essential features.
>
>I also think its a case of a "A little bit of
>knowledge..."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.