|[ Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1, 2 ]|
|Subject: Immigration counter checklist (KDEF-398)|
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Date Posted: 17:59:49 12/22/08 Mon
* Have you gathered all of your essential and important documents? Have you had them translated into English or French?
* Have you considered buying health insurance for the time you are travelling and for the short period before you become eligible for Canada's medicare system?
* Do you know what you can and cannot bring into Canada?
* Have you prepared yourself for finding work in Canada?
* Have you researched Canada's labour market in general? Have you used the Internet to learn about finding work in Canada?
* Have you considered living in one of Canada's smaller or medium-sized cities, or in a rural community? Have you used the Internet to learn about these choices?
* Have you considered the season and climate you will find when you arrive, and the clothing that you will need?
* Have you considered contacting an immigrant-serving organization soon after you arrive in Canada?
* Have you considered taking English or French lessons through the LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) program?
The best way to adjust to your new home will be to get involved! Try to speak English or French as much as possible, even if you make mistakes. Ask questions when you need help. Most people are pleased to help and will understand your needs. With time, you will feel more and more at home. Canada and Canadians will welcome you and your family into the larger Canadian family. Good luck on your journey! visit: http://settlement_in_canada.sitesled.com
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]