VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:16:57 04/18/09 Sat
Author: j.Harmon
Subject: Feed
In reply to: Brigitte 's message, "FEED ISSUE" on 14:59:54 04/17/09 Fri

Hi,
I own a 4 yr. old as well.......this breed is very easy to put weight on, I just used beet pulp or micro source nuggets. I would also give free choice grass hay, not alfalfa......If you want a high strung horse, go ahead and give him 7lbs of sweet feed. The sugar content is way too high for a young horse, try Seminole perform safe with a grass balancer. I would never feed a horse 7lbs of grain, unless they were very old and physiologically challenged.
Remember, it is quik for a horse to lose weight, but takes time to build them back up...give him a chance to adjust slowly. I weight tape my horses every 2 months. You can safely feed him up to 4 lbs of beet pulp (dry) then wet it and I guarantee he will start picking up weight....I would try the beet pulp and then if the hay, grain, and pulp dont put weight on him have a vet come check him out, are his teeth in good shape? Remember, they are loseing and erupting alot of teeth right now, and in geldings the canines are coming in around 4, 4 1/2....very painful for them.
Just my 2 cents...Do not over feed your horse on starch and surgar, that is asking for a disaster! Hope this help...If you are still stumped, you may want to contact a breeder, they will for sure put you on the right track! Without any hesitation.

Good luck with your guy.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Feed -- GH, 12:57:25 04/19/09 Sun

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.