[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:46:14 08/08/09 Sat
Author: steven
Subject: opinion
In reply to: Sarah 's message, "Any more input?" on 17:10:45 02/28/09 Sat

>I would say that if she is healthy again and has good muscle tone to carry the foal, etc, there is no reason not to breed her. We had an andalusian mare that we breed to our friesian stallion. She colicked after a foaling a few years back and had to have over 20feet of intestines taken out. We worked hard to get her healthy again and she had a beautiful colt and had absolutely no complications throughout pregnancy or foaling and the foal is 3months old now. plus she loves being a mom.
I've got Alex's opinion. Does anyone else have
>anything to add??
>>I own a 13 year old Friesian mare. I have owned her
>>for 3 years and she was imported from Holland to
>>California. In researching her history she has had 9
>>foals. 3 of them are in my ownership and 6 prior to
>>me. I decided to give her some time off. So after her
>>July 08 foal I gave her a rest. In November she
>>coliced. She had a slight displacement that had to be
>>fixed with surgery. She then had a 360 degree torsion.
>>She was opened twice in 24 hours for surgery. Luckily
>>she is on the mend almost 60 days post surgery. The
>>vet didn't find any impaction or explainable reason
>>for the colic internaly. His best guess is that there
>>was extra room in the abdominal cavity for the
>>twisting to happen due to her not being in foal. We
>>have now spent almost 10k to save her life and now her
>>post surgery care. Does anyone have experience in this
>>area or a similar situation that they could share? I
>>don't want her to colic again. The vest said she could
>>re-breed but I'm scared to risk it. Any thoughts?
>>Thank you for reading,

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.