VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:25:52 04/07/10 Wed
Author: Megan
Subject: Scratches
In reply to: Audrey 's message, "Scratches" on 16:23:09 04/05/10 Mon

Hello Audrey.

After the vet came out and did the skin biopsy he had the specimen sent out to the lab at UC Davis in CA. The results came back as positive for mites (chorioptic mange). The treatment he prescribed was 25ml of Frontline spray on each leg. First we shaved his feathers down to almost skin, pretty much where ever the affected skin is. Then we washed his legs & feet with an antibiotic/antimicrobial shampoo to get a majority of the flaking skin off...it also was prescribed by the vet. (it was the same shampoo we had been using all along to try and manage the "scratches".) We made sure his legs were dry and then we doused his legs and feet with the correct amount of the Frontline spray as directed by our vet.

Now this is very important. When you take your horse out of her stall to do this, strip the stall down to the mats and spray the mats and lower walls with a bleach/water mixture to kill any mites that may be still living in the stall. The treatment will do no good if you treat her and then put her back in an infested stall. Mites thrive on a host but they can live off a host for a couple of days or so. Re-bed the stall with fresh bedding and then it's ok to put her back.

Also bleach or replace all of your brushes (bleach in hot water), wash or replace any blankets she wears or has worn that you still plan on using, and wash/bleach any equipment that has touched the affected areas, i.e. wraps, splint boots. Wash the blanket(s) in hot water and use powder bleach if the washing instructions permit it.

So far my horses mites have not returned and it's been 3 weeks since the treatment. We are doing a second Frontline treatment this week just to be sure. Our vet said to do so because he's had this condition for 2 years, and the poor thing is only almost 3 so he's had this since he was a baby. :( I feel so horrible that I did not do this skin biopsy sooner. Everyone just told me that it's scratches and that he may have it all his life. My vet recommended doing a biopsy and I felt it was my only option to see what my horse really had. I do recommend doing the biopsy to make sure that it is in fact mites. It's kind of pricey but well worth it if you want a definite answer. The Frontline has to be purchased from your vet's office anyway so it's best to have your mare seen for it.

Please help spread the word. Tell your other Friesian friends. People should not just dismiss their horses skin problems as scratches and just try to maintain it. I did the same thing and now I find out that my poor colt has been chewed on for the last 2 years. (Mites burrow in the skin which is what causes the flakes and scabs.) I feel horrible but thank god there is a cure and my horse's skin is now healing wonderfully. The flakes are dead, dried up, and coming off his skin permanently. Nothing new is growing. Thank god! :) Please if you have any questions feel free to write back. I want to try & help anyone who is going through this same problem. Thanks so much!

-Megan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.