VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:13:26 10/26/10 Tue
Author: Denise
Subject: Trick training and Friesians

I have a 7 year old gelding that is approximately 16 hand and weighs around 1200 pounds. I am trick training him to do many things but the one thing I would like to know is bowing down on one knee while extending the other leg forward detrimental to his joints since he is such a big horse? He does it willingly and is learning to do it with me under saddle. He has no lameness problems but for the past 6 or 7 months he is giving the blacksmith trouble by trying to pull his foot away when he starts to nail the shoe on. Plus he sometimes tries to lean on you if you hold the foot up too long. He actually does it with both front feet but it seems to be worse with the leg that he extends when he bows and not the one that he is actually kneeling on. My vet was out today for routine worming and shots and I mentioned it to him so he flexed the leg pulled it forward and backward and it seemed fine until he pulled it sideways the same way a blacksmith does when he has the foot between his legs and it seemed to bother my horse. I made him bow for the vet and he said maybe that is alot of stress on that joint that is outstretched and maybe he has a little arthritis he didn't know without an x-ray. I don't know if this is just a behavior problem with the blacksmith that he has developed or now I am worried I hurt him making him bow. Any thoughts on this from anyone and does anyone else have or know of Friesians that bow down on their one knee? I don't want to continue with the tricks if I am going to cause him problems. I love him. Denise

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.