VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:59:15 09/12/11 Mon
Author: Ileana
Subject: Friesian horse vs other breeds - No Known info
In reply to: Margie Miller 's message, "New Friesian owner" on 12:04:05 09/10/11 Sat

I have not run across information that SPECIFICALLY compares the Friesian horse to other breeds. Information on the Friesianís characteristics and comments on trainability are avaliable from sources like FHANA, Friesian Crazy etc.

Here is my Friesian to Saddlebred comparison: both are easy to train, willing, intelligent but they process information differently. Generally, it appears as though the Saddlebred is more reactive and a Friesian appears to "think about" what he is asked to do. A Saddlebreds personality is front and center; its known right from the get-go. My young Friesian was more reserved and it took time to bring out his true personality. Now he has a lot of get-up-and-go and wants to show off happily.

It takes a long time to get a Friesian in shape so it's very important to maintain a well muscled and conditioned horse for its intended use. In terms of endurance sport, other breeds are better suited and competitive; these activities are not really the Friesianís forte.

In terms of care, the best bet is to ask a professional that has Friesian experience. My comment here is that my Friesian isnít managed much differently than the other breeds in the show barn. However because he resides in Houston, TX he does have two buckets of fresh water in his stall at all times and he is kept indoors during the intense heat. He is only bathed before a show but sponged down after every workout with Vetrolin to remove sweat, cool him down, and prevent fading.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.