[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 03:42:47 11/30/06 Thu
Author: Dusty Lind
Subject: After Pleasant Hill

Folks, Just got a neat book on the history of the 15th Maine Infantry. The reg't served the the RR Fiasco. They mentioned after the battle of Sabine Crossroads the rebels under a flag of truce wanted to swap a few bundles of paper collars from a captured wagon for hardtack (no word on if the trade was concluded).
Anyways after the battle of Pleasant Hill, General Banks in his haste to escape, had no wagons for the wounded. he had sent the medical train off the field BEFORE the battle. The cav and 13th corps had lost most of their wagons during the battle of Sabine Crossroads. The Union Army left with over 100 severly wounded men with Doctors Sangers and Higgens of the 15th Maine and a clerk to care for them. There were no medical instraments, no food except some cornmeal, water and some rancid bacon they found. They discovered two plates on the battlefieled to cook the foods for the men.
The problem with the battle of Pleasesant Hill was directly after the battle both sides retreated. It wasnt until two days later that Tom Greens men discovered the field hospital. The dead were buried off the battlefield and a few more wounded discovered. Tt wasnt until the 11th that the southern forces could assist with the field hospital for both blue and grey. A wagon of supplies were arranged under truce from the Federals and it arrived on the 23rd.
Botom line over half the men died from exposure, disease, lack of medical attention, and neglect from the Federal Army.
After the Batle of Sabine Crossroads. The Federals left out their picketline while the army retreated to Pleasant Hill. When the Confederates advanced to Pleasant Hill the majority of these men were captured. They were marched to the courthouse in Mansfield, held within for 4 days then started on their trek to their new Texas home, which they remained for the next 13 months. The doctors and the clerk were paroled to New Orleans via Blairs landing along with the remaining wounded on the 20th of June.
I shall post more later....Dusty

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.