VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:38:21 12/07/06 Thu
Author: Doug Cooper
Subject: Re: Preservation
In reply to: Big Foot Bob 's message, "Preservation" on 17:31:57 12/07/06 Thu

>I haven't heard much in the line of preservation
>connected with this event. I read on the site that
>Fort DeRussey is the focus, but will there be raffles,
>money raising, or anything, or is that just hype?
>
>BFB

Mr BFB: No hype...we don't do hype.

Just as the website says, the preservation focus for the event is Ft DeRussy, the beginning of the land portion of the Red River Campaign. The 81st Illinois figured in this battle and lost a man killed the next day when a casemate exploded (see the Ft DeRussy website link). The Civil War Preservation Trust may also benefit from funds raised via registration and the raffle. Ft DeRussy has already lost all funding once for their major reconstruction project due to Hurricane Katrina. They once again have the money earmarked for the project, but it is not certain to be finally granted, so we want to help them with some small preservation projects. I am currently waiting for their input on the exact project we will assist them with.

To date we have 12 prizes for the raffle from various authentic vendors (thanks!) and are gathering more. The raffle will be held at the end of the event with tickets sold only at the event, ala Payne's Farm and Rich Mountain. In our opinion those folks who are stepping up for the event ought to be the one's to win the prizes. Plans are to do the raffle quickly at event end to allow folks to get on the road. You must be present to win.

A portion of the registration fee is also earmarked for the preservation donation.

I ran the raffle in 2004 at the Mansfield Preservation March and it raised over $3000. The 75 members of the CS battalion raised an additional $8000 and with matching grants we obtained from the Austin Civil War Rountable and some CWPT funding, the total raised was over $30,000. This money went toward buying the land the Allen House sits on today, phase 2 of Mansfield Battlefield, the turning point in the Red River Campaign. This land was in the path of the coal mine and is now saved.

We will be asking each participant to raise what funds they can from coworkers, friends, businesses, roundtables, etc. We have not put a suggested number on this but simply ask that each military and civilian member do what they can.

We will again be collecting used cell phones and equipment like at Rich Mountain.

Any other ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Doug Cooper

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.