VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:01:30 03/20/13 Wed
Author: rcder41
Subject: Re: New Superintendent Richard Langlois
In reply to: John Buczek 's message, "Re: New Superintendent Richard Langlois" on 17:39:57 03/20/13 Wed

"Many a parent can be heard saying..."did you do your homework?" or "do your homework!" and all the student has to say is "Yeah" or "it's done" and if a parent were to check, would they know what they were looking at?"

This is a parent that cares and understands that work needs to be done. Not being able to help isn't as important and making your child understand that school and the work is something that has to be done and that you care and value that's it's done.

I had a student once say to me "my mom says this isn't important for me to know. I won't need it." While it may not be verbalized quite that way again from other students it's a message that parents sometimes even unintentionally send. That parent taught that child that he could pick and choose what he needed to know and could ignore the rest. There are times I recall things I learned years ago and all of a sudden it's useful.... go figure. :-)

Did my son tell me that he did homework when he really didn't? Yes of course he did and later got called to task for it. But he knew damn well I valued his education and was watching so most of the time he got things done. Is it a struggle? Yes, but the end result is so worth it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.