VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:37:41 04/30/07 Mon
Author: Eddie
Subject: Re: Eddie is making an appearance in Minneapolis
In reply to: Livin' a Monk Life (aka Lola) 's message, "Eddie is making an appearance in Minneapolis" on 03:12:31 04/20/07 Fri

Hi Lola -

Thanks for the posting. As it turned out, I attended a three day festival in Minneapolis. I knew almost everyone there - many of them I had worked with at one time or another, after I had returned from Germany when the monks broke up. I was very happy to see all of these good friends inducted into the Minnesota Rock and Country Hall of Fame. Here is a quick synopsis of the event: It was a three night event, starting on the first night, with the roasting of my old booking agent Marsh Edelstein - truly the kind of agent who always responds with enthusiasm when someone is looking for a band.. "Boy, do I have a band for you!"

For the first two hours of the first two nights, I was asking myself, "Why am I here?" At the end of the third day, I knew.

Of many things: Marsh Edelstein, Tom Cassidy, and I rekindled a long neglected relationship. This was one of the highlights for me.

Regarding the booksigining: Believe it or not, there were monk fans who came, even without promotion. It was a small but enthusiastic group. Keith Patterson and Sally, thank God, were there. To my pleasant surprise, both Marsh and Tom attended; and they participated as if still being my booking agents and managers - Marsh feeding me and the group with questions for discussion - Cassidy (the brilliant manager), standing at the side, quietly watching the room and gently reminding me of my foul language, when small children had arrived, unseen by me.

I had initially come at the prodding of Cassidy (living in Tucson, AZ - now president of "America's Music" representing everyone from Count Basie to Aretha Franklin). He challenged me to do research for the book I am writing. Unable to prove every excuse I had made, for not coming, I came. Unplanned at the time, it gave me a chance, for the first time, to talk about some of the experiences I had in Minnesota - as well as the monks - in fact comparing histories of the Torquays/Monks and Sir Raleighs/Copperhead/Minnesoda, and the scene in the Twin Cities, when I had first come back from Germany.

I had never talked about the monks much when I had worked there (The Depot (1st Avenue), Pudges, all the teen clubs, etc), and it helped me fill in some blank spots for some of my old friends. Every night, I found myself in the presence of people I hadn't seen in years. Most of them, I had worked with at one time or another (Jimmy Hill, Don Thomas, John Elms, Dave Gustofson (too many to list) - and working with all those people on stage from Passage to Gypsy. It was a reunion. We took photos and talked. We exchanged addresses. It was a great pleasure seeing all of them. When I saw Don Thomas, he said, "Eddie, I've been looking for you. Give me your telephone number. We need a trumpet player." For a moment it was as if I had never left.

The people who support the music business, in the Twin Cities, make it a music town like no other in the country. It reminded me of some of the music supporters I had known, when I was there, like Connie Hector who died in the 1970s.. I felt and saw a lot of passion for music in the Twin Cities and I felt very proud to have been a part of it.

Lola, I'm sorry we did not get a chance to meet, but perhaps there will be another chance to do so. I have a feeling I'll be there again, next year.

Take care,

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.