VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:17:18 06/30/07 Sat
Author: Brian O'Neill
Subject: Reissuing Your CDs

I only found out about The Monks through YouTube within the past two years. I remember it vividly: I clicked a link on a Heavy Metal message board I frequented that said something like "They invented metal," and I wound up viewing the video clip that was "Monk Chant" and "Oh How To Do Now."

My jaw dropped, my eyes widened and I could only watch and repeat to myself... This is 1966? I stayed up all night watching all of the clips but that one the most - the distorted bass that Lemmy from Motorhead would approximate nearly a decade later, the tribal drum beats that wouldn't come into vogue in rock for even longer, the guitar on the floor and everyone plucking a distorted string like they were Sonic Youth, the giant tambourines that... Well hell, nobody really got around to that yet, huh?

I subsequently picked up the CDs - the Henry Rollins-reissued one used online for twenty bucks, an excellent price for such a find. Same for the demos disc. And one day while navigating a faceless used book store in Columbus, Ohio, there was the Cavestop disc for nine bucks! What the hell? I actually nearly choked when I saw it and then tracked down my friend in the store who I exposed to The Monks and showed it to her, unable to speak. She nodded and understood.

Anyway, it's bullshit that The Monks stuff is out of print. It's bullshit that those amazing videos get bounced off of YouTube whenever that Studio Hamburg Distribution & Marketing company decides to enforce copyright (even though those clips are nowhere a consumer can buy them and even though I would GLADLY pay for them). It's bullshit that The Monks, right when time finally seemed to catch up on them, cannot see their releases sold in stores or online.

I just got a job at a record company, guys. Relapse Records. We put out a lot of scary music. And I would love to talk my bosses into reissuing Black Monk Time with the added bonus of those amazing video clips that tie everything together and maybe some cool old archival stuff that you guys have floating around.

I don't know the first thing about actually doing this and I cannot help but think that contacting the band on their message board is not the best way to go about it, but hell, I know you guys are here. Get in touch with me. I have no idea what will happen but I do know that I play that clip to all my friends, I even downloaded it onto my Smartphone to play people while on the go. To put that clip on a bonus DVD that comes with a reissued Monks CD and helping expose something utterly amazing, peerless and special on a grander scale that I and my phone could ever accomplish would be unspeakably cool. So may as well give it a go, right?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.