VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:20:11 01/10/08 Thu
Author: Mike F.
Subject: some memories...
In reply to: Mike F. 's message, "Re: Banjo Boy Dave Day Havlicek passes" on 12:09:58 01/10/08 Thu

There was never a dull moment when Dave was in the room. I feel like all the lights have gone out.

...to which Dave would probably say, innocently, "You need to change that bulb then Mike." And I would shake my head and smile, since there's no arguing with that sort of logic.

Or this kind of logic:

My best memory of the short tour we did in October took place in Krems, Austria, in a basement club called The Jazzkeller, where we rehearsed for three days. The Monks had concocted a long piece of music for the end of the set -- they just called it "Monk Jam" but I remember it as "Global Warming." In the middle of the song, as it was taking shape in rehearsal, Gary shushed the band and started whispering "Do you believe...do you believe...do you believe in global warming?"

Dave had a priceless look on his face -- a look that clearly said "Hey -- I'm bored AND confused. I didn't know that was even possible."

As Gary finished whispering, it was a logical spot for us to break back into the song, and I looked over at Len (the drummer, the Other New Guy) and was about to signal to kick the song back in. But before I could, Dave Day was down on one knee, singing as loudly as he could:

"WHEN YOU'RE SMIIIIIIIIILIIIIIIING, WHEN YOU'RE SMIIIIIILIIIIING, THE WHOLE WORLD SMIIIIIILES WITH YOOOOOO......"

...truly the most incongruous and yet the most appropriate attempt at a bad Al Jolson impression that has ever been undertaken.

We ended up leaving it in the song. At both shows. The Austrians were very confused, but not as confused as the Germans.

I actually have video of this very surreal moment and at some point I'll post it somewhere...

Anyway -- now you know why I was laughing in the car.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: Banjo Boy Dave Day Havlicek passes -- Gary, 13:21:36 01/10/08 Thu

Forum timezone: GMT-11
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.