VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:17:00 01/14/08 Mon
Author: John Battles
Subject: Dave Day remembered.

Like all of you , I'm sure , I am constantly knocked out by the fervor with which Dave Day approached the banjo , a decidedly non - electric , non - Rock'n'Roll instrument. Even if it was true that he was'nt too keen on putting down the guitar and picking up the banjo , he , like all of his fellow monks , took music to dimensions as yot unexplored , to heights still not touched upon , since.

Personally , Dave may have been disappointed , at the time , to have been led into a concept for a band that was less showy (It was he who strove to perform , and "Mach Schau".), less sexy , and even ...these are someone else's words , not mine , LESS ROCK AND ROLL...The monks were a concept , a broad one , at that, but , every inch the Rock'n'Roll band. They breathed Rock 'n'Roll from every fibre of their being , while Madonna has never made a R'n'R record is her life , but , walks away with this year's Hall of Fame Award. In a RIGHTEOUS Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame , one that may only exist in our minds , the monks would be keepers of the keys , seeing fit that Madonna is never granted entrance.....a funny side-note , though. Ian Wallace , much - in demand British drummer (His fine Beat Band , The Warriors , shared bills with the monks in Germany.) nearly took the drum spot left in Roger Johnston's absence a few years back for the Las Vegas and Barcelona gigs. He reneged , having been asked to play a world tour with , as Gary put it , "SOME ARTIST CALLED MADONNA!". Wallace (Who was also a really good guy , I met him a few years earlier.), sadly , also passed away this past year. Almost a monk.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Day three times. It was plain to see he was having the most fun of all the monks , finally getting a chance to extend his wings and really return to being the born performer he was (His wife , Irene , told me he had to carry an acoustic guitar wherever he went , because people always asked him to sing songs for them!). Dave loved meeting his fans , and loved knowing there were now so many of them. It was not an ego trip , it was what Gary called "Bathing in the love". And he loved his fans , too. He returned , unannounced , to The Cavestomp! in 2000 , a year after the monks' historical comeback performance , just to hang out with his fans again , and see bands like The Troggs , who were his contemporaries. This is when Dave became the big kid that all who know and love him still know he really was , deep inside. He asked me if I thought he should go and say "Hi" to The Troggs , and see if they remembered gigging with the monks. I told him , by all means , The Troggs are good guys. I'm sure they'd like to talk to you. Sure enough , Dave came back , beaming , "John! They remembered the monks! They were so cool , and really nice guys!!". He was so excited , just like a kid. I can't stress that enough , there was a sweetness to Dave that refused to put his inner child out to pasture. He just loved his life , I could tell , even if , like his monk brothers , he'd had some bad breaks before , he still got to see his dream come true , and become a bonafide Rock'n'Roll star. He loved being able to do that , and he understood , that , regardless of what you've been told, the monks had a Rock'n'Roll heart , and he was it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.