VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:17:00 01/14/08 Mon
Author: John Battles
Subject: Dave Day remembered.

Like all of you , I'm sure , I am constantly knocked out by the fervor with which Dave Day approached the banjo , a decidedly non - electric , non - Rock'n'Roll instrument. Even if it was true that he was'nt too keen on putting down the guitar and picking up the banjo , he , like all of his fellow monks , took music to dimensions as yot unexplored , to heights still not touched upon , since.

Personally , Dave may have been disappointed , at the time , to have been led into a concept for a band that was less showy (It was he who strove to perform , and "Mach Schau".), less sexy , and even ...these are someone else's words , not mine , LESS ROCK AND ROLL...The monks were a concept , a broad one , at that, but , every inch the Rock'n'Roll band. They breathed Rock 'n'Roll from every fibre of their being , while Madonna has never made a R'n'R record is her life , but , walks away with this year's Hall of Fame Award. In a RIGHTEOUS Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame , one that may only exist in our minds , the monks would be keepers of the keys , seeing fit that Madonna is never granted entrance.....a funny side-note , though. Ian Wallace , much - in demand British drummer (His fine Beat Band , The Warriors , shared bills with the monks in Germany.) nearly took the drum spot left in Roger Johnston's absence a few years back for the Las Vegas and Barcelona gigs. He reneged , having been asked to play a world tour with , as Gary put it , "SOME ARTIST CALLED MADONNA!". Wallace (Who was also a really good guy , I met him a few years earlier.), sadly , also passed away this past year. Almost a monk.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Day three times. It was plain to see he was having the most fun of all the monks , finally getting a chance to extend his wings and really return to being the born performer he was (His wife , Irene , told me he had to carry an acoustic guitar wherever he went , because people always asked him to sing songs for them!). Dave loved meeting his fans , and loved knowing there were now so many of them. It was not an ego trip , it was what Gary called "Bathing in the love". And he loved his fans , too. He returned , unannounced , to The Cavestomp! in 2000 , a year after the monks' historical comeback performance , just to hang out with his fans again , and see bands like The Troggs , who were his contemporaries. This is when Dave became the big kid that all who know and love him still know he really was , deep inside. He asked me if I thought he should go and say "Hi" to The Troggs , and see if they remembered gigging with the monks. I told him , by all means , The Troggs are good guys. I'm sure they'd like to talk to you. Sure enough , Dave came back , beaming , "John! They remembered the monks! They were so cool , and really nice guys!!". He was so excited , just like a kid. I can't stress that enough , there was a sweetness to Dave that refused to put his inner child out to pasture. He just loved his life , I could tell , even if , like his monk brothers , he'd had some bad breaks before , he still got to see his dream come true , and become a bonafide Rock'n'Roll star. He loved being able to do that , and he understood , that , regardless of what you've been told, the monks had a Rock'n'Roll heart , and he was it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.