VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

The Unofficial MAO Pageant Board

Congratulations to Miss America 2015, Kira Kazanstev of New York!

State Websites Message Boards Twitter Accounts Blogs

Thank you to the moderator of the New England board for the links to all the other boards.
NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS:
Problems? Contact the moderator at maoforummoderator@gmail.com

NOTE: You will be banned for bumping ridiculously old and long threads with nothing substantial to add to the conversation.

Subject: One person's opinion

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:14:40 12/12/14 Fri

Based on what I have seen on these boards about the heads that rolled, this is what it seems like to me:

All the people that were dismissed during the hatchet job (or should we call it Haskett job) were from New England and New York. I have no doubt whatsoever that Haskell and a lot of the old school dominant states like Oklahoma are seething over the success of New York. Mr. Mississippi would probably just pass the crown between his state, OK and TX every year. So what does he do? I think he is doing everything he can to bring down New York. The good thing is that it didn't work last year with the change of EDs. But we all know this is an old, Southern dominated pageant for years and those states don't like it. And I'm sure Mr. Mississippi hates it. He has a dream of the pageant being like it was when his wife competed.

Now, there is the other part of this. There is a definite bias against New England in the MAO system. So where did the heads roll? New England. New England is HARDLY a power player at the national level. And if you don't believe that, where is the representation at that new "advisory council"? New England has a Miss Universe. In the last 20 years New England states made the top 15 11 times. In the last 11 years there have been 3 Miss USAs and 1 Miss Universe from New England. And this is where the big bad boss decides to dismiss the people? What, to make a point? You know how I see it? I see it as the playground bully. A sixth grader picking on a kindergartner. I would be impressed and take things seriously if you saw Mary Sullivan or Nan Tenenbaum dismissed. You'll never see that. If you want to be a leader, take a tough stand. Clean house all over the place. Don't pick on the weakest ones. Which is exactly what happened here. To me, this is just a playground bully, nothing more. I can't WAIT for the day when we get real leadership.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: In the News: Miss World will no longer have a SS competition. They are being applauded for making this change. Is it time for MAO to maybe think about doing this? Discuss :)

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:19:48 12/19/14 Fri

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/miss-world-pageant-puts-bikini-ban-future-competitions/story?id=27691720

Replies:
Subject: William Francis Sullivan

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:03:21 10/19/14 Sun

What really happened with him? He was found guilty of stealing his client's funds and was disbarred. Did he got to jail? Did he have to pay back the money? Has it ever been investigated if any of the stolen money ended up with the pageant? I am shocked to have read this all and surprised this didn't come out sooner.

Replies:
Subject: Pageant Workshop in Opelika, AL

Author:
Mallory
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:27:37 12/16/14 Tue

Hey folks! I hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday Season! I'm heading home to Alabama this coming weekend and hosting a pageant workshop to give some pointers in regard to paperwork, interview, sponsorship opportunities and the job of a title-holder. This will be a quick snapshot in to what Claire and I do with DEFINE! Each session is an hour and a half and $30/person. I would love to see you there if you are located nearby. This is perfect for local committees and girls alike. There will be a Q&A as well.

Miss Alabama 2013, Chandler Champion, will be making an appearance, too, to discuss the actual job of Miss Alabama (since how would I know??) :)

Register: MakeYourMoveDanc@aol.com (no "e")

When:
Sunday December 21, 2014
"Teen" 1:30-3:00 pm
"Miss" 4:00-5:30 pm

Where:
Make Your Move Performing Arts
1220 Fox Run Ave Suite 212
Opelika, AL 36801

Price: $30.00 or PRICELESS! :D

Merry Christmas!!

Replies:
Subject: Crown question ???

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:59:20 12/18/14 Thu

Does anyone know what the price of the local crown is from KA Concepts? Is it $130.00 ???.

Also the cost of the state crown, which I believe is more than the local crowns.

Is KA Concepts still the official crown?
Thanks

Subject: An Observation

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:53:38 12/09/14 Tue

I've been watching the coverage of Will and Kate's visit and it occurred to me that Kate is a real princess but she does not parade around in her crown or tiara. I have seen various comments over the years about our girls wearing their crowns everywhere and looking ridiculous, inappropriate, etc, especially in the hospitals. Kate visited with children and they were told a princess was coming to see them - she did not wear her tiara and they thought they were going to see Elsa (who interestingly enough doesn't wear a crown either).

So the point of my rambling and scattered thoughts - what are your opinions on wearing the crown? I used to like it, but in light of seeing the REAL royalty without it, I am thinking it does look a little ridiculous and might even be off-putting. I would suggest just using the crown for actual crownings, but wearing only the sash and pin to events. Take the crown to hospitals but don't wear it. Let the children see it, try it on, etc. When speaking, set it on the podium as the symbol of Miss America, but don't wear it. Be photographed in it only for official portraits for websites or autograph sheets.

And let me just throw this one in too: Thoughts on calling our girls "royalty?" Sounds very pretentious to me now.

Replies:
Subject: Sharon Pierce had direct input to the guru board? Mary Ellen screen shots pages and sends them to biard members? time to come here for important discussions. Sharon is overseeing what the ?Guru allows.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:21:01 12/07/14 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Sam has started purging volunteers who do not kiss his ass and is using his new state squad to deliver the verdicts. Mark calls the states and the states start calling people telling them who is being ousted, directing them not to talk to or be seen with those targeted. Never says anything to the people and only when they call to find out what is going on does Mark tell them " they are done"" one state was told to get rid of two biard members who are the heart and soul of their state program for no reason other than Sam said so. When they balked mark told them if they we not gone the state license would be revoked. Time to organize people!!!!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:44 12/05/14 Fri

Replies:
Subject: American Experience Miss America

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:17:39 12/13/14 Sat

Replies:
  • (NT) -- No name, 21:18:26 12/13/14 Sat
Subject: https://t.co/fiuXt1RzfR In the most promising development from the Vatican in a thousand years or so., the Pope said Heaven is open to animals. Yeah, I know its OT. But really cool.

Author:
Merry Christmas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:38 12/12/14 Fri

Replies:
Subject: Just a thought

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:48:58 12/08/14 Mon

It is a shame that the pageant is in trouble. And it is. If I were sitting in Haskell's shoes, I would be trying to expand the size of the "tent" rather than exclude people that have volunteered for years. Instead there seems to be purges ongoing, for reasons that we do not understand totally. One thing that is certain from reading all of the posts on the boards, the Shindle book, and all the recent press, is that there is a transformation of Miss America into a business model that is like MUO as opposed to anything that MA has experienced in the past. They are going to keep the states they can "work with" and are gradually forcing out those they do not. If you folks believe for a second that all the division between people over recent titleholders (even voy boards) is unwelcome ...think again. The more division between those who have cared about MA over time that exists, the less real scrutiny their operations receive. And sadly, the pageant as we know it is disappearing every day. For the imperatives driving their choices, is all about driving out the "old guard" whether it be formers like Kate, talented people like Gaspar Cruz, or good and decent people like Valerie Clemons. They are trying to evade accountability, and are winning that battle. They will continue to do so, until people are willing to speak for attribution, organize, and demand transparency from what still remains a 5013c. I personally think very little of the creepy ways Marc Angeli operates (examples below) but until they are forced to answer serious questions and organized opposition, there is no hope of saving the pageant from those who have current control of all it has meant. That means that either we accept the changes and/or non participate...or band together in an organized advocacy group, gather facts, and leverage the media to force "regime change." The greatest enemy of Miss America is the mix of resigned apathy or contention amongst the majority opposing Sam Haskell, and he and the others survive precisely because they have divided and conquered.

Replies:
Subject: What is the rationale behind what gets deleted on the Guru boards?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:43:38 12/11/14 Thu

I asked a question about the media's reaction to Susan Akin's grandfather (info that's on her wiki) and that got deleted. Why is that worse than people talking about her alcoholism and insulting her talent?

Replies:
Subject: Mary Ann Mobley dies

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:03:26 12/09/14 Tue

Our beloved Miss America, Mary Ann Mobley, passed away quietly this morning, surrounded by her loved ones. Mary Ann will always be remembered for her beauty, grace, her wonderful personality and her giving heart that touched so many.

On September 6, 1958, Mary Ann made history in Atlantic City as she was crowned the first Miss America from Mississippi. Her talent performance was "Un Bel Di" by Puccini and as she walked that famed runway, she immediately captured the hearts of America.

Following her year of service as Miss America, Mary Ann made her Broadway debut in the musical, Nowhere To Go But Up. It proved to be a great success for the launch of her theatrical career; however it was a co-staring role with Hugh O'Brien and Betty Grable in a production of Guys and Dolls that opened the door for her first motion picture contract. She starred opposite another Mississippian, Elvis Presley, in Girl Happy and Harum Scarum at MGM. During that time, she was nominated by the American Cinema Editors for "Best Performance by an Actress in a U.S. Film Debut". The United Theater Owners of America named her one of the "Top Ten Stars of Tomorrow". The Motion Picture Herald Fame Award recognized her as one of the "Box Office Stars of Tomorrow" and the Hollywood Foreign Press presented her with a Golden Globe Award as the "International Female Star of Tomorrow."

Mary Ann also appeared on many hit television series including, Diff'rent Strokes and Falcon Crest. She was also a guest star in more than one hundred comedy and dramatic television series. One of her most treasured roles was in the American television premiere of Ingmar Bergman's The Lie with George Segal. Mary Ann returned many times to the Miss America stage and co-hosted the Miss America 1989 telecast with her husband Gary Collins.

She became a filmmaker, producing documentaries in third-world countries including Cambodia, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Somalia, Kenya, Zimbabwe and the Sudan where she worked on documentaries on the plight of millions of children who are helpless victims of war and deprivation. She was a part of the first American TV film team to enter communist Cambodia. "The trip was one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences of my life" she once stated. She recently filmed Children Running Out Of Time on the work of the medical personnel in these countries. While living in Kenya during the filming of the TV series Born Free, she saw first-hand the devastation and felt a personal commitment to helping the underprivileged of the poor nations of the world.

Mary Ann served with the March of Dimes for the past twenty-five years and also served as the National Chairman of the Mother's March Against Birth Defects and was a board member of The National Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, and The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. By Presidential appointment she was named to the National Council on Disability. Mary Ann was a member of SHARE, Inc., a Los Angeles-based women's organization supporting the Exceptional Children's Foundation for the Mentally Retarded. In Mississippi, she raised funds for the Willowood Foundation which provides homes for young adults with mental and physical learning disabilities. One of the homes is called the Mary Ann Mobley/Gary Collins Group Home. She was most proud of The Mary Ann Mobley Pediatric Wing at the Rankin General Hospital in her hometown of Brandon.

Sam Haskell, Chairman of the Board and CEO of the Miss America Organization has described his 40 year friendship with Mary Ann as one that he truly cherishes.

"When I was a little boy growing up in Mississippi, there were two Mississippi stars who I idolized...one was Elvis Presley and the other was Mississippi's first Miss America Mary Ann Mobley! She was at the hospital when my children were born. She performed in many of my charitable concerts to raise money in Mississippi for needed educational funds as well as Hurricane Katrina victims. We shared a love for our Alma Mater Ole Miss, and we shared many mutual friends in our beloved home state of Mississippi. She challenged me, she loved me, and she made me laugh! I shall miss her!" he stated.

The Miss America Organization extends its heartfelt sympathies to Mary Ann's daughter, Clancy Collins-White - an executive at Warner Bros. Television in Los Angeles, and her extended family during this time of sorrow. We will keep our Miss America Mary Ann Mobley alive in our hearts, and we will keep her family in our thoughts and our prayers.

Replies:
Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (optional):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.