[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 06:22:44 04/20/16 Wed
With all the issues this pageant has, MAO is led by a nasty and catty little self-promoter still has the time to divert into things that do not matter. An example is all the effort he has devoted into sabotaging DEFINE, much less all the other consultants he has decided he does not like. Though I have no skin in that game, that alone defines what is wrong with his pageant.
The brand is dying. Though there may be some issues with the current girl's marketability, it's doubtful that this team would succeed with a budding superstar. The focus of the brand identity is gone, there is a rotating door in terms of sponsors, and sentiment aside , what organization with any future, chooses to join itself at the hip to Atlantic City?
Then there is the question of television ratings. Though it's admirable that ABC has allowed the pageant to buy time on a dead ratings night, you have to wonder who Sam can apologize to this year to pump up the ratings? In order to bring relevance to Miss America , it's leadership needs to be semi-receptive to all that has happened in the 21st century. That goes beyond posting selfies during the national broadcast. It means some focus on a platform component that is truly spoken of. It means seeking out contestants that are great communicators, able to project them selves adequately in speaking engagements and broadcast television.
Finally there are the optics of how things are done. There have been serious issues and abuses in many state organization. There has been a conscious effort to 'pay back" folks like Kate Shindle and Mallory Hagan for going rogue, and much less known attempts at economic retaliation against long respected figures like Valerie Clemons. The business relationship between CMN and MAO is south of transparent. The business of scholarships is well documented. The purging of hundreds of strong supporters in the volunteer ranks has decimated the grass roots of this program.
There is a culture of arrogance and cynicism towards any person or idea that might just help. Even uttering an unapproved thought, will buy it's author a blackball. That in and of itself is a recipe for disaster when things are going well. By every measure, things are not going well. In order to save this program, there needs to be leadership that is transparent, accountable, and competent. Instead we have this nasty little man, with his inexperienced and incompetent staff, and enabled by a stacked board of directors, who has forgotten the meaning of the term fiduciary responsibility.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- Thanks for confirming what we have believed all along: That DEFINE is in bad shape. (NT) -- No name, 08:17:05 04/20/16 Wed
- In order to save this program, there needs to be leadership that truly represents the population that the organization serves. The NFL would NEVER accept a woman at the helm. Those 3 clowns in charge of MAO have never competed in any facet of pageant competition, no matter what happens, they can never "walk in the shoes" of MAO participants. Miss America is a part of american history, but that's about it. It's so irrelevant to today's culture. No one cares or wants much to do with Miss America. The facts speak for themselves. I don't know anything about Define. From what I hear, it's two people who don't have much else going on in their lives, may or may not be employable in business, and are catering to a very specific, small group of individuals. Why would anyone be threatened by that? AND - if anyone thinks the title of Miss America will lead to big things, just look at the record. After 90+ years, there has been some splashes, but that's it. (NT) -- No name, 09:54:24 04/20/16 Wed
- This sounds like a Claire post. (NT) -- I agree though., 11:49:04 04/20/16 Wed
- Who's Claire? (NT) -- No name, 11:57:11 04/20/16 Wed
- I agree. She's super active on all these Voy boards and loves to promote herself. (NT) -- No name, 13:05:02 04/20/16 Wed
- ok wait...are you talking about the 2 formers who are trying to "coach" others for a living? They must be doing something else with their lives besides focusing on a dying program, right? No contemporary, intelligent woman would focus on this crap for a living. I guess unless you weren't capable of doing something else worthwhile?? For goodness sakes, isn't this program turning out intelligent women capable of doing something better than evening gowns and swimsuits? Maybe not. Perhaps this is another clue to the dying brand. (NT) -- No name, 14:40:38 04/20/16 Wed
- It's a shame that we cannot post the truth anywhere. Here it's the Claire, Mallory, and Betty show. On guru, every other post disappears. so Sam has succeeded in dividing us, and making certain people do not easily compare notes. (NT) -- No name, 17:12:10 04/20/16 Wed
- I know they are both so concerned with what you, an anonymous poster on a sad as hell Miss America message board, think. In fact, I bet both of those smart, savvy girls sit at home crying over your useless attempts at making them look bad. What it looks like, to me, is two women who spent a lot of time giving to an organization to have the in-the-closet asshat of a CEO try to sabotage their business. If I were them, I would take my money and laugh my way to the bank. (NT) -- No name, 18:36:34 04/20/16 Wed
- If they were truly outspoken, Mallory & Claire would sue MAO. They need them to much to do so. (NT) -- No name, 11:01:15 04/21/16 Thu
- They have no grounds to sue (NT) -- No name, 14:01:46 04/21/16 Thu
- Then Sam has done nothing to harm their business. (NT) -- No name, 17:51:31 04/21/16 Thu
- At long last...fuck Sam. I support anyone who opposes him. (NT) -- No name, 21:07:26 04/21/16 Thu
- It's not to say that Sam's ridiculous coaching rules have or have not harmed anyone's business. When the girls sign the contract, MAO is within their rights to say who they can and cannot work with, unfortunately. (NT) -- No name, 07:06:12 04/22/16 Fri
- Business is business.....as you can tell from the way certain people react, tweet, etc., they take things personally. Good business people don't ever get that mixed up. I do not agree with the way that Sam handles his business. That being said, go beat him on the business "playing field" and quit whining and moaning about him. We want equality and to be treated fairly in the workplace, but as soon as something doesn't go our way, we start in with, "he doesn't like ME", "he said this because of ME". Knock off your bitchin' girls and go beat them at their own game, fair and square. THAT's how you will gain everyone's respect....not with your idiotic tweets. (NT) -- No name, 10:27:06 04/22/16 Fri
- Suggestion to DeFine: branch out. Find out what makes USA International NAM tick. Drop your ridiculous prices too. I realize you ARE worth that but IF you want to beat SH and MAO, cut the prices becauase ladies wanting to win locals cannot afford that. (Coming to you as a parent of a former contestant who competed quite successfully). The local level contestants do not need as hardcore prep for interview as the state and national level do, so suggestion is to tier your packaging. Platform review - price. Branding - price. Local Interview prep 1, 1-3, 1-5 - price; state interview prep - same selection - price; national level ditto. Get your claws in it and BAM start proving to contestants your worth and making a name for yourselves. (NT) -- No name, 06:24:56 04/23/16 Sat
- Cont'd: once you prep a fantastically wonderful and dynamite young lady, I can assure you her LED will be amazed and if they (he or she) will not want to change her prep if they have the good sense God gave a donkey! Our's never did save one, who thought they were the end all be all, and you have now a state level contestant and bam. Perhaps if you are lucky it's a state who is not on the advisory board. ;) (NT) -- No name, 06:28:32 04/23/16 Sat
- Is anyone else tired of all this posting about DEFINE? Results speak for themselves. ANY organization that tells you "we can't talk about our results for privacy reasons" ........doesn't have the results to impress. Let Define's business speak for itself. They are either successful or they aren't. (NT) -- No name, 16:57:22 04/26/16 Tue