VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]


[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09/14/15 11:14:22pm Mon
Author: The Future
Subject: Future Football Schedules

Home and home with Bryant is off the schedule(s). Anybody know who is being added?

I hope it's two FBS teams, if no other reason than to watch this board implode.

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2015/8/28/Colgate_Future_Football_Schedules_2016_1789.pdf

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]


Replies:

[> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Frank Zappa, 09/15/15 7:56:45am Tue

>Home and home with Bryant is off the schedule(s).
>Anybody know who is being added?
>
>I hope it's two FBS teams, if no other reason than to
>watch this board implode.
>
> >href="http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2015/8/
>28/Colgate_Future_Football_Schedules_2016_1789.pdf">htt
>p://www.gocolgateraiders.com/documents/2015/8/28/Colgat
>e_Future_Football_Schedules_2016_1789.pdf


No home games until October next year, why not wait until November ? Syracuse and Richmond away, what a joke.


[ Edit | View ]



[> Re: Future Football Schedules -- 'gate80, 09/15/15 8:31:22am Tue

That's great news, Future. We gain nothing by playing Bryant. Every OOC game the next 2 years is a good one. I hope you're right about getting another stretch game or two.

This board has become emblematic of the decline of Colgate football. Supposed fans are bummed out when we schedule an FBS team, or even a good FCS team! Posters who are optimistic about the season or given game are ridiculed. How I wish younger alums could have seen the spirit and excitement surrounding the fb program a generation ago.


[ Edit | View ]


[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- The Future, 09/15/15 8:40:10am Tue

The real strength of the internet is that it fosters a safe place for grown men to scream like little children about other people not accomplishing the things they never could.

The downside of losing Bryant is that Colgate loses a home game. Unless something is lined up, seems like it will be tricky to get an additional "good" home game next year.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Gate Raider, 09/15/15 11:00:58am Tue

gate'80, I enjoy reading your posts on the history of Colgate football. However, that was 35 years ago and the landscape has dramatically changed. Colgate is in the FCS and that is where their future is unless there is another dramatic change in college football. That might happen, if the current FBS teams become semi-pro and fans once again embrace true college football played by students. To build a strong fan base and get really good players, Colgate needs to win consistently and schedule home games that are convenient for fans. No one loves 'gate football more than me and I work to get people to go to the games. Last weeks listed attendance of 2,900 (overestimated) is very poor. While the weather report was lousy, it actually didn't rain hard and for more than half the game there was no rain. Get more home games earlier in the season during the beautiful autumn weather. It helps.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Cr, 09/15/15 11:04:49am Tue

>gate'80, I enjoy reading your posts on the history of
>Colgate football. However, that was 35 years ago and
>the landscape has dramatically changed. Colgate is in
>the FCS and that is where their future is unless there
>is another dramatic change in college football. That
>might happen, if the current FBS teams become semi-pro
>and fans once again embrace true college football
>played by students. To build a strong fan base and
>get really good players, Colgate needs to win
>consistently and schedule home games that are
>convenient for fans. No one loves 'gate football more
>than me and I work to get people to go to the games.
>Last weeks listed attendance of 2,900 (overestimated)
>is very poor. While the weather report was lousy, it
>actually didn't rain hard and for more than half the
>game there was no rain. Get more home games earlier
>in the season during the beautiful autumn weather. It
>helps.

You were there Gate Raider?


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- kevin, 09/15/15 11:23:46am Tue

>That's great news, Future. We gain nothing by playing
>Bryant. Every OOC game the next 2 years is a good one.


Definitely don't gain much among the over-50 crowd, who remembers who was good 25 years ago. But Bryant was better than Colgate last year. Better than every PL team except Fordham as a matter of fact. Will likely be better than Colgate this year as well. There was nothing wrong with a home-and-home series with them.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: I'm with 'gate80 on this -- Go...'gate, 09/16/15 8:40:41pm Wed

>That's great news, Future. We gain nothing by playing
>Bryant. Every OOC game the next 2 years is a good one.
>I hope you're right about getting another stretch game
>or two.
>
>This board has become emblematic of the decline of
>Colgate football. Supposed fans are bummed out when we
>schedule an FBS team, or even a good FCS team! Posters
>who are optimistic about the season or given game are
>ridiculed. How I wish younger alums could have seen
>the spirit and excitement surrounding the fb program a
>generation ago.

I am happy to see the stretch games back on the schedule. I do not care for the NEC games and I hope we are NOT, as I have heard, contemplating Marist as a future opponent. I would like us to play the Ivies more, and I hope Ms. Chun is able to persuade schools like Brown, Princeton and Pennylvania to play us again.


[ Edit | View ]


[> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Gate Raider, 09/15/15 10:37:42am Tue

The last few years the home schedule regarding the dates of the games have been poor. Last year the team was absent for a month during the best weather. Fans forgot about Colgate football. Many games are scheduled late in the year. Night games hurt attendance. This year the home Cornell hockey game is on the same day as a football game. No one is going to stay in Hamilton for nine hours. They will pick one game or the other - probably hockey. If you want to attain a loyal fan following, schedule games that make it easy the fans. Last winter the hockey team was away for about two months straight.


[ Edit | View ]


[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- The Future, 09/15/15 10:58:29am Tue

Colgate is in a tough spot when it comes to scheduling early season home games.

If you want an FBS game, you have to play them early and you won't get a home game in return. (Delaware won't come to Hamilton--so that hurt last year's schedule.)

That leaves five home games.

Three of these will always be Patriot League games--which means end of the season/bad weather (league games are always basically at the end of the season).

That leaves two games (three in 12 game seasons).

The Ivies don't play football until the end of September and you need to play them home and home and play them at the end of September/early October before their league games start. That's a narrow window and means you will for sure have an away game every other year during this part of the schedule (when the weather is at its best).

Who do you find to play early in the season that will give you a home game (can't be an Ivy/FBS) and can't be another stretch game (though I would be fine with that) and can't be an NEC team (which freaks out alumni)?

It really narrows down who you can play and in part explains why Colgate teams have typically been road warriors and why the even year schedules are stuck in a bit of no-home-games-early rut right now.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- 'gate73, 09/15/15 12:55:30pm Tue

>Colgate is in a tough spot when it comes to scheduling
>early season home games.
>
>If you want an FBS game, you have to play them early
>and you won't get a home game in return. (Delaware
>won't come to Hamilton--so that hurt last year's
>schedule.)
>
>That leaves five home games.
>
>Three of these will always be Patriot League
>games--which means end of the season/bad weather
>(league games are always basically at the end of the
>season).
>
>That leaves two games (three in 12 game seasons).
>
>The Ivies don't play football until the end of
>September and you need to play them home and home and
>play them at the end of September/early October before
>their league games start. That's a narrow window and
>means you will for sure have an away game every other
>year during this part of the schedule (when the
>weather is at its best).
>
>Who do you find to play early in the season that will
>give you a home game (can't be an Ivy/FBS) and can't
>be another stretch game (though I would be fine with
>that) and can't be an NEC team (which freaks out
>alumni)?
>
>It really narrows down who you can play and in part
>explains why Colgate teams have typically been road
>warriors and why the even year schedules are stuck in
>a bit of no-home-games-early rut right now.

In the late 60s and early 70s, we were lucky to have three home games a year. At that time, none of the Ivies (except perhaps Cornell) would play at Andy Kerr. We were a road team.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Gate Raider, 09/15/15 5:34:55pm Tue

Well,okay you win but, get some games against the SoCon. Furman is coming to Hamilton in 2017 for the second time. They were at Colgate a few years ago. The SoCon also has The Citadel, Wofford and VMI. Colgate goes to Richmond next year and they come to Hamilton in 2017. The CAA also has William & Mary, Maine, Elon, Villanova, Stony Brook and Albany (who we play). We should be able to schedule home and homes with any of those teams. To heck with Delaware.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- 60'salum, 09/15/15 1:26:54pm Tue


This year the home Cornell hockey game is
>on the same day as a football game. No one is going
>to stay in Hamilton for nine hours. They will pick
>one game or the other - probably hockey. If you want
>to attain a loyal fan following, schedule games that
>make it easy the fans. Last winter the hockey team
>was away for about two months straight.

Hopefully the new Class of '65 arena & Riggs Rink will pull in lots of locals and new hockey fans next October. It would be nice to see some SRO crowds for at least the christening season.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Gate Raider, 09/15/15 5:38:47pm Tue

Hope you are correct 60'salum but, I honestly don't think the new rink matters that much to fans. Maybe it attracts recruits but, I never hear any complaints about Starr from the fans. There are worse rinks than Starr that usually have pretty good teams.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Frank Zappa, 09/16/15 8:26:34am Wed

>Hope you are correct 60'salum but, I honestly don't
>think the new rink matters that much to fans. Maybe
>it attracts recruits but, I never hear any complaints
>about Starr from the fans. There are worse rinks than
>Starr that usually have pretty good teams.

Starr is rated as "The best high school rink" in college hockey. Great for the 1500 fans that come though.


[ Edit | View ]


[> Let's replace Syracuse, Richmond, and Furman with Bryant, Robert Morris, and Central Connecticut St! -- 'gate80, 09/16/15 9:07:22am Wed

Just because I'd rather we played an FBS or noted FCS team than Bryant doesn't mean I think we should upgrade to Div I-A! Is it unreasonable to ask that we aim to have a program like William & Mary, Richmond, or Furman?? In the last 5 years Furman has played Va Tech, LSU, Clemson, Florida and South Carolina; Richmond has played Va, Maryland, NC State and Duke; W&M: West Virginia, Maryland, Va, Va Tech, and North Carolina. Colgate has Navy, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army, and fans on a sports forum are getting their panties in a twist! (Oh my god someone might get hurt! Who do we think we are playing these big time schools?)

It's not just old farts who don't want lusterless, nontraditional, crappy academic schools on our schedule, Kevin. Our players don't seem too excited about them either. A season removed from the national championship game with a PL champion team, we had a 17-game home winning streak broken against Central Conn St. The following year we lost our inaugural game with Monmouth. A few years ago we provided Albany their only win against 11 losses. All of these were home games in September, btw. Just because after our first back-to-back losing seasons in over a half century (excluding the years of the gutting 1988-95) Bryant perhaps is marginally better than us, doesn't mean we should be aspiring to have them on our schedules as we transition to the scholarship era! To think we destroyed our fb program a generation ago to become more academic, and lost games with Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke and many Ivies, to join a league with Fordham and Towson St and have Bryant and CCSU as OOC foes!

Gate Raider, I have to respectfully disagree with your premise that the way for Colgate fb to improve its reputation and fan base is to schedule more September home games against cupcakes. I may not go to as many home games as you, but I've been to enough (including against far more attractive opponents than Bryant, such as ranked UMass teams in 2005 and 2007, Furman, and Yale 2 years ago) to know that few show up even on sunny September 1 pm games. So if we had 4 home Sept home games against Robert Morris, CCSU, St Francis, and Bryant, and went 4-0, we'd really start packing them in at Kerr? Home fb victories will not improve the profile of Colgate fb because 1) few people see these games, and 2) any team willing to travel to Hamilton will not be an opponent where a victory will attract much attention.


[ Edit | View ]


[> [> Rntreply to gate'80. -- cr, 09/16/15 9:24:45am Wed

>Just because I'd rather we played an FBS or noted FCS
>team than Bryant doesn't mean I think we should
>upgrade to Div I-A! Is it unreasonable to ask that we
>aim to have a program like William & Mary, Richmond,
>or Furman?? In the last 5 years Furman has played Va
>Tech, LSU, Clemson, Florida and South Carolina;
>Richmond has played Va, Maryland, NC State and Duke;
>W&M: West Virginia, Maryland, Va, Va Tech, and North
>Carolina. Colgate has Navy, Syracuse, Buffalo, and
>Army, and fans on a sports forum are getting their
>panties in a twist! (Oh my god someone might get hurt!
>Who do we think we are playing these big time schools?)
>
>It's not just old farts who don't want lusterless,
>nontraditional, crappy academic schools on our
>schedule, Kevin. Our players don't seem too excited
>about them either. A season removed from the national
>championship game with a PL champion team, we had a
>17-game home winning streak broken against Central
>Conn St. The following year we lost our inaugural game
>with Monmouth. A few years ago we provided Albany
>their only win against 11 losses. All of these were
>home games in September, btw. Just because after our
>first back-to-back losing seasons in over a half
>century (excluding the years of the gutting 1988-95)
>Bryant perhaps is marginally better than us, doesn't
>mean we should be aspiring to have them on our
>schedules as we transition to the scholarship era! To
>think we destroyed our fb program a generation ago to
>become more academic, and lost games with Vanderbilt,
>Northwestern, Duke and many Ivies, to join a league
>with Fordham and Towson St and have Bryant and CCSU as
>OOC foes!
>
>Gate Raider, I have to respectfully disagree with your
>premise that the way for Colgate fb to improve its
>reputation and fan base is to schedule more September
>home games against cupcakes. I may not go to as many
>home games as you, but I've been to enough (including
>against far more attractive opponents than Bryant,
>such as ranked UMass teams in 2005 and 2007, Furman,
>and Yale 2 years ago) to know that few show up even on
>sunny September 1 pm games. So if we had 4 home Sept
>home games against Robert Morris, CCSU, St Francis,
>and Bryant, and went 4-0, we'd really start packing
>them in at Kerr? Home fb victories will not improve
>the profile of Colgate fb because 1) few people see
>these games, and 2) any team willing to travel to
>Hamilton will not be an opponent where a victory will
>attract much attention.

Good retort gate'80. Gate Raider is far off base and does not attend many games.


[ Edit | View ]


[> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Gate Raider, 09/16/15 10:42:28am Wed

I never mentioned Bryant, Robet Morris, etc. But, don't look too far down your nose at Towson and Bryant because Bryant had scholarships before Colgate. Don't be shocked, if you see the schools you knock soon have better schedules than 'gate. As you mention, gate'80, Colgate has not kept up. Zappa, if, as you say, only 1,500 are going to show up for hockey games, I wonder why a new rink is worth it. cr, you make yourself look foolish. You know nothing about me. I have not missed a home game in over 15 years and attend many away games. Look, in 2003 when U.Mass and W. IL, came to town the stands were packed and those games were played in raging snow storms. Fans attend games of winning teams. If Colgate wins consistently, the fan base and attendance will grow even in Hamilton.


[ Edit | View ]



[> Re: Future Football Schedules -- gate, 09/16/15 6:33:00pm Wed

It would have helped our cause had BU and Loyola had football when they joined the league. How many ppl think Gtown will remain? Isn't it only a matter of time before their stature drops even more with the rest of us using scholarships? We may have to look for schools to join the league as football-only members. Have no idea who they would be. It almost makes more sense for Colgate to jump ship and apply to the CAA. It could be the resurgence we've all been looking for and the 'Gate we all remember :-)


[ Edit | View ]


[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Go...'gate, 09/16/15 8:46:07pm Wed

>It would have helped our cause had BU and Loyola had
>football when they joined the league. How many ppl
>think Gtown will remain? Isn't it only a matter of
>time before their stature drops even more with the
>rest of us using scholarships? We may have to look
>for schools to join the league as football-only
>members. Have no idea who they would be. It almost
>makes more sense for Colgate to jump ship and apply to
>the CAA. It could be the resurgence we've all been
>looking for and the 'Gate we all remember :-)

Adding Loyola was a highly questionable decision by the Patriot League. BU had academic stature that Loyola did not.


[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Future Football Schedules -- Gate Raider, 09/16/15 11:07:14pm Wed

I believe Loyola was added because of LAX but, I agree they are not a good fit from an academic or athletic standpoint. BU also is a poor fit because of its size. The move did add a team from the north and one on the south side as kind of a compromise, however. The CAA and A10 don't fit for a variety of reasons. I think the PL strives to have full members with similar academic profiles but, they just can't find one. Wish W&M or Richmond could be convinced to join the PL. The fit but, apparently are happy where they are.


[ Edit | View ]





[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.