VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456 ]

Pageant Guru Message Board - Unmoderated
State Websites Message Bds Official MAO Links Community
Miss America Judges
Miss America National Contestants
Miss America Groupings
The Week Courtesy of Ernie Koneck
The Road to Miss America Board Courtesy of yrralh

Subject: How Kira Kazantsev went from Cronut blogger to Miss America

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:24:46 09/16/14 Tue

Kira Kazantsev, the newly crowned Miss America 2015, has always been an overachiever.

The 23-year-old speaks three languages (Russian, Spanish and English), was a triple major at Hofstra University (political science, global studies and geography), was accepted to Notre Dame Law School and even worked the princess circuit in high school, according to Kazantsev’s cheerleading adviser, Laurel Londahl.

“One year she came to my daughter’s third birthday party dressed up in her Miss Jr. Teen California pageant gown and crown and read them stories and gave them princess goodies,” says Londahl, who still works at Kazantsev’s alma mater, Las Lomas High School in Walnut Creek, Calif.

“It was totally adorable.”

And totally Kira.

Kazantsev, who moved to New York in 2009 for college, is the third consecutive New Yorker to snag the Miss America title. It’s a huge achievement for the Big Apple — and the Murray Hill resident. But friends and family say they expected no less from the personable pageant queen who begged her high school principal to let her captain the cheerleading team while simultaneously serving as student body president.

“I told her you can’t do both . . . it’s just too much work. You can’t do it,” recalls Kazantsev’s former principal Pat Lickiss. “She said, ‘Mr. Lickiss, I can do it.’ There’s nothing that girl couldn’t do.”

“She’s the hardest working girl I know,” agrees Londahl. “We marched in the local parade every year, and Kira was there as Miss Jr. Teen California, and she had to jump out of the car she was in, change into her cheerleading outfit and then march with the cheerleaders. She was incredibly dedicated to her team.”

So who is the aspiring attorney with the sparkly crown?

The daughter of Russian immigrants, Kazantsev — who has a 15-year-old brother, Boris — was raised by her surgical oncologist father, George, and real-estate broker mother, Julia, in Northern California. “They’ve always said, ‘If you can, do more.’ Pushing yourself isn’t a bad thing as long as it’s in moderation,” Kazantsev tells The Post.

When it came time to choose a college, Kazantsev says she always dreamed of going to school in New York, and settled on Long Island’s Hofstra because they gave her a scholarship that covered 50 percent of her tuition.

Her tenacious work ethic continued throughout her four years. She enrolled in the school’s honors college after her first semester (getting an invite to the prestigious program requires a 3.6 GPA or higher, according to the honors college dean, Warren Frisina) and studied abroad in Barcelona her junior year.

“I don’t think anyone knew she had ambitions in that [pageant] direction. She seemed pretty darn focused on her schoolwork and succeeding academically,” Frisina says.

She has deferred her acceptance to Notre Dame law school, but eventually hopes to earn a law degree and her MBA at the prestigious Indiana school.

The brainy beauty, who sang Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face” in Hofstra’s 2010 talent show, was one of the 300 volunteers chosen from more than a thousand hopefuls to rub elbows with the political muckety-mucks during the 2012 presidential debate hosted by Hofstra.

For two summers, she interned at Solidarity Strategies, a political consulting firm in Washington, DC. According to the company’s founder, Chuck Rocha, Kazantsev says the tenure helped her nail the 2013 Miss New York pageant.

“She said that she wouldn’t have understood the question [about campaign finance reform] if she hadn’t worked for me,” says Rocha, who recently had lunch with Kazantsev in NYC. “It made my chest swell with pride.”

According to Rocha, the new Miss America has the perfect combination of drive and personal skills.

“And then you throw in the fact that she is drop-dead gorgeous and really smart,” laughs Rocha, who says Kazantsev looked up to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand. She volunteered for Gillibrand’s reelection campaign in 2011.

Asked if she wants to run for political office, Kazantsev says she wants to pursue international business and influence policy for women’s issues across the globe.

“I love politics and the environment that goes with it . . . but for now, [elected office] is not necessarily my dream.”

After graduating from Hofstra, she moved to Murray Hill with her best friend and began waiting tables at Hillstone and, later, hosting at Harding’s in the Flatiron District while studying for the LSATs.

“You gotta do what you gotta do to make it. Miss New York is a full- time job, but you don’t make money. It’s a labor of love,” says Kazantsev, who is savoring all that the Big Apple has to offer, including dining at Mario Batali’s hot spots Eataly and Esca.

Kazantsev also dabbled with a food blog called “Confessions of a Fat Soul,” where the pizza- and bagel-loving city gal braved the Cronut line and explored NYC’s culinary terrain all in the name of hunger (the now-defunct blog’s tag line reads: “Bringing recipes and restaurant reviews to my fellow fat souls. Dedicated to making the fat souls out there even fatter”).

“Blue Water Grill is one of my favorite restaurants. I love going to the Brooklyn Flea and Chelsea Market. My friends and I go to Central Park and lay out and we try to live the New York life on a budget,” she says, adding that she likes to “window shop.”

“My personal style for New York isn’t edgy, but for the rest of the world, I think it is. Sometimes people in the pageant world question my choices.

“I love shoulder pads, prints and things that are a little out there. I like to color outside of the line and wear what I want to wear,” she says.

According to Kerime Ataker, president of John Paul Ataker, the designer who crafted Kazantsev’s stunning custom rose-colored gown she donned at Sunday’s event, “She’s definitely a risk-taker,” gravitating away from typical pageant garb.

When she isn’t eating (and staying remarkably thin thanks to her penchant for running, according to Rocha), Kazantsev is putting in countless hours advocating against domestic violence, a cause close to her heart after an ex-boyfriend stalked her in college. In August, she joined the junior leadership counsel of Safe Horizon, an NYC-based victim assistance agency she has volunteered with in the past.

“She identifies with the people who are impacted by it,” says Eddie Pelto, Safe Horizon’s chief development officer, who adds that Kazantsev’s “been a strong voice for domestic violence survivors through social media.”

“I want as many people as possible to understand what domestic violence is,” says Kazantsev. “To talk about it. To not be scared to talk about it. You can pass laws and make rules but you won’t affect real change until people’s minds are changed.”

the Ray Rice scandal, she thinks that maybe, one day, the football player will deserve a second chance.

“There’s an extraordinary moment for Ray Rice to step back and understand what happened and take this media attention and turn it into a way to raise awareness. This has been done and no one should be questioning his wife’s decision to stay, because every woman is an expert in her own life.”

Right now, Miss America has a good Mister by her side.

“He’s a very calm guy. He’s a Marine,” says Ataker, who says Kazantsev brought her beau to dress fittings.

“Such a nice guy. He didn’t talk much. All he did was smile and say, ‘Looks great,’ and that was it.”

When asked about her dating status, Kazantsev politely says she would rather not discuss it.

But if you were a potential suitor, she says she’s low-maintenance, preferring to stay in and binge watch “Orange Is the New Black” or “House of Cards.”

“I am so easy to please,” she says. “Just give me a slice of pizza and a bagel and I am a happy person. I am a simple person who happens to be involved in some crazy stuff.”

For now, Kazantsev says she is going to celebrate her shiny new tiara in her trademark low-key way.

“I am going to have a very nice sleep. I don’t know when I will have another opportunity to do that.”

http://nypost.com/2014/09/15/how-kira-kazantsev-went-from-cronut-blogger-to-miss-america/

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
  • (NT) -- Kira is so cute as a HS Cheerleader, 03:26:14 09/16/14 Tue
Subject: Miss America Kira Kazantsev, raised in Walnut Creek, remembered as 'really ambitious'

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:03:01 09/16/14 Tue

WALNUT CREEK -- She may have represented New York in this year's pageant, but freshly minted Miss America Kira Kazantsev's ties to Walnut Creek run deep.

The 23-year-old pageant star, crowned at the end of Sunday night's 2015 pageant in Atlantic City, N.J., spent her formative years at Walnut Creek Intermediate School and Las Lomas High School before graduating in 2009 and moving to the East Coast for college.

"We feel great," said Kazantsev's mother, Julia Kazantsev, from Atlantic City Monday evening, her voice ragged after an exhaustive series of interviews during the day. "It's been really crazy," Julia said of the first day after the pageant. "There've been a lot of interviews, and photoshoots and so many calls ... "

While in high school, Kazantsev was crowned Miss California Junior Teen in 2007 and won the Miss California Preteen contest in 2004.

"It just happened that she liked pageants," and she did well in them, Julia Kazantsev said.

At the same time, Kazantsev excelled in academics and cheerleading. By her senior year she was head of the cheer squad and class president -- the only time a student held both roles.

"She talked me into it," said Patrick Lickiss, former principal at Las Lomas. "That's just the type of person Kira is, and not only did she do a great job, but she maintained phenomenal grades."

Added Laurel Londahl, cheer coach for Las Lomas since 2004, "She's just a warm and lovely woman and I'm so happy for her. I'm not surprised she won."

A close family friend agreed.

"She is extremely outgoing, really ambitious," Greer Burke McQuiller said. "Even from an early age she had a personality that would light up a room."

"I always thought, 'My god, how is she going to do all this?' " McQuiller said with a chuckle.

At Hofstra University on Long Island, where Kazantsev attended classes after graduating Las Lomas, she triple-majored in political science, global studies and geography and spent time abroad in Barcelona, Spain where she added Spanish to her list of spoken languages (she also speaks Russian).

Kazantsev's parents are Russian immigrants who came to the United States in the early 90s, when her father George Kazantsev took a surgical research position at Loyola University in Chicago. George is currently a surgeon for Kaiser Permanente in Oakland and Julia is a real estate
agent at Sotheby's International in Lafayette. Her parents, Kazantsev said in a recent Instagram post, are a source of inspiration.

"They taught me that if you really want something you can make it happen," Kazantsev said in the recently posted video. "I want to empower people so they can stand up for themselves. I'm determined to change the world."

Kazantsev plans to use the $50,000 scholarship to attend law school after her year as Miss America is up in 2016. From there, according to her pageant profile, she will pursue a career in international diplomacy.

Kazantsev offered up an unconventional talent at Sunday night's pageant, playing a red cup while sitting cross-legged on the floor and singing Pharrell's "Happy." She also espoused a timely platform -- protecting women against domestic abuse.

"She's always been an advocate for women's rights," McQuiller said. "She's just kind of fearless."

Julia Kazantsev said there are no immediate plans for her daughter to return to Walnut Creek, as Kira will be spending the next year working nearly every day for the organization.

"But," Julia added, "she is really happy and excited and ready for this job. I'm glad they chose her."

Jennifer Baires covers Orinda, Lafayette and Moraga. Contact her at 925-943-8378. Follow her at twitter.com/jenniferbaires.

http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/ci_26535424/new-miss-america-is-from-walnut-creek

Replies:
Subject: Map: The states that produce the most Miss America winners

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:51:41 09/16/14 Tue

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/15/map-the-states-that-produce-the-most-miss-america-winners/

Subject: STEM winners will be announced tonight. Five of these young women pursuing education in STEM related fields will be awarded $5,000 scholarships each to further their education.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:05:51 09/14/14 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Bang The Red Cup! Miss New York’s Kira Kazantsev Wins Miss America Crown After Out-Of-The-Box Display Of Talent

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:42:51 09/16/14 Tue

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/09/kira-kazantsev-red-cup-happy-miss-america-winner-new-york/

Subject: Miss America Kira Kazantsev of New York responds to cup talent criticism

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:17:49 09/16/14 Tue

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/celebrities/miss-america-kira-kazantsev-criticized-for-cup-talent-inspired-by-pitch-perfect-1.9314759

Subject: Miss America 2015 and Tony Bowls

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:15:17 09/16/14 Tue

Subject: Miss Vermont

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:13:21 09/16/14 Tue

Subject: Miss America Gets Clowned by Mark Dice!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:06:38 09/16/14 Tue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirdIqVcgOE

Replies:
  • Cute (NT) -- No name, 02:09:50 09/16/14 Tue
Subject: old school vs new school

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:32:34 09/16/14 Tue

What past Miss A winners were old school and which were old school? New
Mallory Hagen
Kira Kazantsev
and although it was 40 plus years ago Rebecca King.

Replies:
Subject: Non-finalist Awards!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:15:32 09/15/14 Mon

Talent: IN, NV, NC, PA, and WV
Interview: LA

Replies:
Subject: For all you girls who spend 20-30 hours dancing a week to the classical vocalist instrumentalists you may want to rethink all the hours if your life sacrificing fun to go practice your craft - why ? When you can song and play solo cup and win top honors!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:20:48 09/16/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Love the picture of Kira at the top of the page.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:29:30 09/15/14 Mon

Eyebrows fixed!
Lip color corrected.
Hair upgraded.

Replies:
  • I agree (NT) -- Thank God for the above beautiful pic as last night she looked a hot mess, 19:36:52 09/15/14 Mon
  • (NT) -- No name, 02:01:15 09/16/14 Tue
Subject: Miss America 2015: Highlights of pageant week so far in Atlantic City

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:32:10 09/13/14 Sat

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/09/miss_america_2015_highlights_o.html#incart_river

Replies:
Subject: Tuesday Appearances

Author:
Pageant Guru
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:38:45 09/16/14 Tue

On Tuesday, Miss America 2015, Kira Kazantsev, is kicking off her national media tour. Watch LIVE with Kelly and Michael, The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson, and Access Hollywood to hear her talk about her new role as Miss America and the journey ahead as she promotes our scholarship program!

In addition, Mackenzie Bart, Miss Ohio 2014, (and Roxy!) will be making appearances on Good Morning America and Today Show.

Replies:
Subject: NM was second for America's Choice? I'm surprised.

Author:
pageant flan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:15:55 09/14/14 Sun

Does anyone know how that happened? It's a tiny state and I don't recall hearing anything about her.

And good for ID. I didn't think the isulin pump thing had made enough of a national impact - I guess I was wrong.

Replies:
Subject: Outside Observations

Author:
Noel Breen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:18:35 09/15/14 Mon

The new Miss America was fortunate to have a domestic violence platform when all hell broke loose over the NFL last week. And whatever issues MAO has, is nothing compared to the fact that alleged abuser Ray McDonald was on the field on another network last night.

Given the need for the winner to be a spokesman for whatever the pageant needs to communicate , the inherent subjectivity of judged contests, and an apparent regional bias (a three-peat?), its probable the winner last night may well have won her title in the judges interview . Though cynics could say that it does not hurt to also represent the "big apple" in a pageant trying to market itself back into relevancy.

But it is not readily apparent to the television audience what the judges thought process is when the Q/A onstage features 20 second responses from finalists. Though the show was fast paced in many ways, it also featured painful attempts to generate social media traffic, a judges second chance semi finalist, and an "America's Choice" as well, both of whom are eliminated PDQ minutes later. The judging would seem much more coherent, if the audience could focus on a top ten more effectively.

The winner ran for the job, and is innocent of whatever flaws the MAO has in its selection process. The unfortunate Mr. Harrison referenced the pageant as America's longest running "reality show", which is expected from a guy primarily employed by the folks who brought us "Rick and "Darva." The biggest asset they have is the tradition of 90 years, and having watched last night's show, its a shame they do not leverage the 30 or so "formers" the "Countdown" show mentioned as being in attendance. In an effort to appear more trendy, the production last night seems to have bartered away something in the manner of class.

Two last things, now that the pageant is over, perhaps Mr. Haskell and company might want to read Ms. Shindle's book.

And though people may not all like the red cup last night, the new Miss America won fairly and squarely within the limits of the system in place. Like millions of other people, I want her to do well, because we want to see the iconic title survive somehow,

Replies:
Subject: Miss America 2015

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:31:19 09/16/14 Tue

Subject: Would like to see Caitlin Brunell go to Miss Alabama USA

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:59:49 09/16/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Thoughts

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:34:00 09/15/14 Mon

Just some random thoughts...

1. I long for the days of Kimberly Aiken or Phyllis George or Vanessa Williams or Heather French. Winners who, when they walked into a room, you knew they were important. None of them looked like they sold Clinique at Macy's. I honestly wouldn''t even notice the last four winners if I walked past them in a mall.

2. I sat through a seminar with Heather French once. She talked about the importance of developing talent because the contestant was required to be disciplined and self-critical. Performance of an excellent talent is more than just the actual performance, it is a journey of self-discovery. I wonder if MAO would support this statement.

3. In schools today, we are basically required to make everyone feel good about themselves, even if they haven't tried. Everyone gets a trophy, even if they placed dead last. Everyone gets a gold star, even if the answer is wrong. It appears to me that MAO has fallen prey to this ideology. Yes, the new winner has shown that a mildly attractive, fairly us talented, emancipated waif can win Miss America if she shows spunk... Anyone, and I mean anyone can win. Is this the message we want out there? Anyone can win? Don't we want the hardest working, best of the best winning?

4. I understand that MAO wants to be relatable and inspire the younger generation. Honestly, though, the teens in my class who watched the pageant thought it was a joke. Four year olds seemed to get it, but anyone past puberty had a low opinion as best I can tell. Had it been something unique or original, maybe it would have been better, but it was performed FAR better in Pitch Perfect and in a thousand other YouTube videos.

5. What does it say about MAO when the teen winner is prettier than the Miss, has a stronger talent than the miss, appears to be more composed than the Miss and would probably beat her inn 99 out of 100 fairly run pageants? Also, to just use one random contestant as an example, how many young girls would have been encouraged to pick up a fiddle and learn to play if Kentucky had performed. Instead of encouraging mediocrity and the "anyone can win this thing" mentality, that performance could have encouraged excellence.

6. Final thought of the day.... Well, at least for now... When Teresa Scanlan was named Miss America, I openly announced she was the worst Miss America of my time. I will give her this, though... She looked good (wig or not, she looked right) and she had talent. How is it that the last three winners were all only mildly attractive, had weak talents, and in two cases were not competitive in at least one other area of competition? My advice... Look for what those three have in common. Then follow the money trail and the trail of people. Who want power and control. A scandal is there for the person willing to investigate, I'd bet.

I have been a supporter of state and local pageants for years. I have paid for everything from travel to wardrobe to scholarships. I have judged hundreds of locals and advised that many more winners. I have paid for items for winners too poor to be able to compete and have raised tens of thousands in volunteer donations for CMN. That said, I am done. I cannot support an organization whose ethics and direction I question. It's been a good run, but I am putting my money where my mouth is. If we want the credibility of the Miss USA Pageant, we just got it. I have no time for that, though. Four years in a row of wondering who did what to get ahead is enough. Best wishes to all.

Replies:
Subject: My Predictions

Author:
NYC Boy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:38:45 09/13/14 Sat

Top 15

Alabama
Arkansas (SS round elimination)
California (SS round elimination)
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky (SS round elimination)
Mississippi
New Jersey (SS round elimination)
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Wisconsin (SS round elimination)

Top 10

Alabama
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Mississippi
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas

Top 5

Alabama
Connecticut
Florida
Mississippi
Ohio

4th RU: Mississippi
3rd RU: Florida
2nd RU: Connecticut
1st RU: Ohio
Miss America 2015: Alabama

On another side of this, I could totally see New York shocking everyone and placing in the Top 5 or even winning this entire thing if she had a great interview and the judges "get her". She has a very strong interview and is very confident, but I think she'll get eliminated after talent and only make Top 10. But I could be wrong. We've seen FAR worse talents make Top 5!

I could also see Ohio winning as well as Connecticut and maybe even Florida, but I think Mississippi will be a runner up or not make it at all.

I know some of you may be shocked that I eliminated Kentucky after swimsuit, but unless the panel fell in love with her in interview (and I believe they could have..she has a great story) I just don't find her "pretty" and she isn't the strongest in swimsuit, so she could get cut there. If they loved her and scored her a high composite, she'll make it through to the Top 10 and the of course because of talent, she'll make the Top 5. But since we were not flies on the wall in interview, my predictions is all based solely on what I can see on the Internet. If she does get past swimsuit and moves into the 10 and then the 5, I'd venture a guess and say she'd replace Mississippi.

Okay, those are just my thoughts as an armchair judge this year. Who the heck knows where the dice will fall....this is all just in fun. Anyone of these young ladies would be a great Miss America, I'm certain.

P.S. Does anyone else have a "feeling" about Miss Hawaii? I think she might be a very dark horse in the race and come out of nowhere. I didn't include her on my list but there's something about her......

Replies:
Subject: Crossovers...

Author:
oz-usb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:49 09/15/14 Mon

Posted this on USB, thought you might be interested here too :)

Whilst Jessica Hartman was perhaps the most well-known former MUO contestant at Miss America this year (robbed!) she wasn't the only one who'd competed at the state level for Miss USA or Teen USA
Out of the top 15:
1RU Courtney Garrett (VA): 2RU VA Teen USA 11, SF 09
4RU Lauren Kuhn (MA): 2RU WA Teen USA 10
T10 Mackenzie Bart (OH): 3RU PA Teen USA 11, 4RU 10, T15 09, 4RU 08
T10 Caitlin Brunell (AL): NF FL Teen USA 10
T15 Monique Evans (TX): NF TX USA 11
T15 Acacia Courtney (CT): 3RU CT Teen USA 11

Other contestants:
Stacey Cook (CO): SF CO USA 11, SF CO Teen USA 09, SF 08
Maggie Bridges (GA): 2RU GA Teen USA 11
Marisa Buchheit (IL): SF IL Teen USA 07, SF 06
Jessica Hartman (MO): Miss Colorado USA 2010 (3RU at Miss USA)
Jessie Allen (WY): 2RU WY USA 14, 2RU 13 (sister of Miss WY USA 12!)

Replies:
Subject: Photo Posting Instructions

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:09:45 09/14/14 Sun

Replies:
Subject: I have just spent a few more hours cleaning up the board. Please do not bash.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:05:09 09/16/14 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Most people don't realize this, but the NF interview award isn't given to the best nonfinalist interview. It's given to the best nonfinalist interview who's also a communication/journalism major. Not to discount Lacey at all, I already thought she would do great in interview and this just confirms it

Author:
LA Liz
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:35:01 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Just curious what the new Miss America did for talent when she won Miss NY. Thanks!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:33:56 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:49:26 09/16/14 Tue

Subject: Our new and future Miss Americas

Author:
Ernie Koneck
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:47:27 09/16/14 Tue

I'm re-posting this because I saw random comments here and there demanding I apologize, telling me to eat crow, ya da ya da ya da. To which My standard response is, sign your name like an adult, and we'll talk. Until you do, your self-righteous demands are meaningless whining to me.

As you can see, I already DID apologize to Kira a few hours after the pageant aired, so why not focus your attention on the thousands of other people who have been making rude comments about her and how she is singlehandedly ruining Miss America.

Date Originally Posted: 01:28:38am 09/15/14 Mon

First I'll apologize to Miss NY and new Miss A for ragging at her about taking the competition seriously. Clearly she did. My only excuse was having a lot of other things on my mind and that dress just pushed one too many pageant buttons for me.

First, I thought her gown tonight was stunning. Second, her talent was much better than expected once I heard her sing. I wrongly assumed the cup was a crutch; it was a conversation piece.

And, I suspect, part of Kira's legacy to the pageant. I wouldn't be surprised to see them change the name of the talent competition to the entertainment competition, with more off beat talents, or standard talents made conversation-worthy by props, tricky costumes, really unusual music choices, etc.

As for the outcome of the pageant, Kira's very articulate and I bet she thinks on her feet very well. She has an "interesting" take on fashion to say the least; I can't wait until she gets her hands on her Joseph Ribkoffs. They'll probably be unrecognizable - and that's a good thing.

Frankly my single biggest thrill of the night was when Miss MA got called into the final spot in the top 5. Seeing AL, OK, TN and MS all get eliminated in one fell swoop is something I never thought I'd see in a Miss America pageant. Not because any of them are awful in any way, and not because I hate them. It's just they're all sash states and little Miss MA pulls the upset of the night by making the 5. I imagined she ruined a lotta folks Road to Miss America predictions.

So at the end of the night I'm fine with the winner; the judges could have done much worse, and judging by the top 5, they did seem to be all over the place; the top 5 were quite a diverse bunch in terms of personality, background, looks, just about any measure.

I'm thrilled the judges saw in Lauren what I did - an incredibly accomplished young woman who truly embodies the four points of the crown. Getting to know her this past month has been a real pleasure.

Finally, I'm not sure who won the Face of Miss America contest, but I know my personal winner in that category is Courtney Garrett, Miss Virginia. To me, no on else was even a close second.

Subject: Who won interview? NF Interview? Talent? NF talent? etc???

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:47:07 09/16/14 Tue

Subject: Donald Trump now can "trump" our program- our contestants are no better than his.. Talent isn't necessary to win!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:40:10 09/15/14 Mon

We have now forever entered the abyss of mockery that his pageant gas earned. Last nite our "brand" changed. Call it "relevant" if you want but I call it a death of dignity that our pageant once had. We noo get are distinct. We are a modern day "Junior Miss" pageant minus talent. You don't have to be pretty but you gave to be bright. I have nothing against our winner as a person. She is who she is. But 3 sets of judges sold out our brand and for this I am sad.

Replies:
Subject: It's Miss America pageant - SVU

Author:
Jimmie Kimmel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:41:22 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Question regarding eligibility

Author:
Kate
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:29:10 09/15/14 Mon

Group and MAO peeps- is it ok for a local director to have their child compete for a different local in the same state? I have heard conflicting answers.

Replies:
Subject: Hype and Glory - I wonder what William Goldman thinks?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:58:58 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: If a Miss America can win on a trampoline, why can't a gal win singing with a cup?

Author:
I was rooting for Miss VA too.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:29:00 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:48:09 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:46:41 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: I want my old Miss America back

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:18:17 09/15/14 Mon

You can say I am old, stuck in my ways and do not understand what is relevant. You can say that because it is true, but I want my old Miss America back. In this country there is a great divide in what those of us in middle America want and what the media, New York and Hollywood tell us we need. I want a Miss America that is beautiful, not just attractive, but drop-dead georgeous. I want a Miss America that takes everyone's breath away when she walks into the room just by the way she looks and presents herself. THEY tell me what I need is just an attractive young lady so that I can relate to her better. I want a Miss America that has talent- real talent. Or, a Miss America that works really hard for a really long time on one song or one dance so that I believe she has talent. I want a Miss America that during her year as Miss America just might show up at my church and sing "How Great Thou Art" and give me chills. THEY tell me I don't need a talented Miss America because all of the untalented people will not relate to her. THEY tell me I don't need a Miss America that goes to church, much less knows "How Great Thou Art." I want a Miss America that looks good in a swim suit. I am not sure why, but I do. The shocking thing is that THEY seem to want the same thing. I am sure that once THEY visit a local swimming pool in middle America and realize most people do not look good in a swim suit, then THEY will quickly encourage the over weight to score well in that part of the competition as well, so we will all relate to her better. I want a Miss America that is well-spoken, charming, engaging, smart and classy. I do not care if she has 10 degrees, speaks 17 languages, is an expert in politics and has come up with a cure for the balding of the African dwarf goats. THEY tell me I need a Miss America that is brilliant and an expert in all things so while I am relating to her she can tell me how to think and what to believe. Yes, I want my old Miss America back and yes I long for the day when last night a young lady like Miss Mississippi would have become Miss America, because she is beautiful, elegant, classy and could really sing (and I bet she knows "How Great Thou Art"). I also long for the days when I lived in a different country. I don't expect I will get either wish any time soon.

Replies:
Subject: Congratulations Kira Kazantsev (formerly Miss NY) and now Miss America

Author:
Pageant Guru
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:06:47 09/14/14 Sun

Congratulations to the Miss New York Organization for having three Miss NY's in a row crowned Miss America.

Replies:
Subject: A few thoughts

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:40:37 09/15/14 Mon

I hear our new Miss America is wonderful, intelligent, and edgy. That's great and all but I feel like most of the girls on that stage were at least the first two adjectives. And some of them have TALENT. It was a shame to me to see NY advance to the talent round over the likes of IA and KY, two of the best talents in the entire competition.... talents that would have likely had Twitter tweeting with COMPLIMENTARY comments instead of the harsh, mocking tweets.

And then to have NY advance to top 5 over MS, another one of the best talents in the competition, was just sad to me.

And I am sorry but I found the fact that she was barefoot quite bizarre... she's not a dancer so what was the point of that?

That being said, I'd like to believe that once this hub pub dies down, she can show us why the judges picked her.

Replies:
Subject: The problem I have with Miss America the last several years (& the problem I had with Miss IN getting so much praise for her "normal body" at miss USA) is this- I do not want a "normal girl" as a queen. Pageants aren't for the normal or average or run of the mill. Pageants aren't to celebrate the every day. These pageants should serve as a reminder that amazing, outstanding, & jaw-dropping is out there. Is that every young person? No, of course not. Not everyone is cut out for everything. But pageant winners should serve as a reminder that to be amazing you have to work (sometimes literally) your butt off. This applies to talent, interview, and especially swimsuit. "Normal" shouldn't be applauded in any aspect of these competitions. Specifically, are the young women of Miss America being drug down by all the other requirements being placed upon them by MAO? Is paperwork now the focus instead other preparations?

Author:
Say no to normal!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:14 09/15/14 Mon

Subject: E! News is covering Miss America right now and they are making fun of the show- from Miss Colorado's comment during introduction about Colorado being the "highest state in the nation", to Anna Kendrick tweeting "what is happening" after Miss America's talent, the typo of Jane Austen, random facts like "i like street hot dogs", Miss Nebraska's flashing, and Miss TN's parents singing. Oy. Not a good look for MAO. OMG.. and Juliana Rancic just laughed and said "Miss America is supposed to be the "smart pageant" which I find shocking but I don't know after last night." The other woman called the cup talent "very corny" and said "what is going on here?" Oh.. "and the talent competition here is a bit of a stretch if they can call it that."

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:14:18 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Read the following

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:32:06 09/15/14 Mon

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/miss-new-york-wins-pageant-pounding-red-cup-stage

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130918/PC16/130919295

http://teamcoco.com/jokes/sep-16-2013-for-the-first-time-the-miss-america-pageant-was-won-by-a-woman-of-indian-descent-the-judges-asked-her-why-do

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/miss_america_pageant_2011_all_the_swimsuits_sparkles_and_blinding_teeth-2011-01
It's always something!! Every year the media finds something to rant about after the Miss America Pageant. Everyone today is acting like this is new news. Well it's not. It's been going on for years and years.

http://mic.com/articles/49187/6-worst-beauty-pageant-responses-in-the-history-of-miss-america

http://mic.com/articles/49187/6-worst-beauty-pageant-responses-in-the-history-of-miss-america

http://guardianlv.com/2013/09/miss-america-2014-won-by-foul-mouthed-miss-new-york-nina-davuluri/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/joke-america-storied-pageant-mocks-article-1.341663

Subject: Final Night Judging Breakdown:

Author:
Adapt, or clap.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:44:35 09/15/14 Mon

For all those wailing and gnashing their teeth over the results, carefully consider this break down of the Finals night scoring, directly from the 2012 Official MAO Judges Manual. Stay with me...

There are 7 judges. Only 5 of their scores count because the high and low are dropped in all phases of competition, (Final Ballot is ranking process and all judges rankings count).
For finals, all scores, including Composite, are between 6-10 points. Therefore, there are between 30-50 points available for each phase of competition (before weighing).

composite = 30% 90-150 points
ss 20% = 60-100 points
eg 20% = 60-100 points
talent 30% = 90-150 points*

Total points at the start of Final Night Competition BEFORE ss = 90-150 points
Total points after ss = 150- 250 points
Total points after eg = 210-300 points
Total points after talent* = 300- 450 points
Total points for Top 5 = 0. All scores thrown out for Final Ballot RANKING.

*On the Final Night of Competition the Titleholder’s Job Description, responsibilities and duties are considered as part of the scoring for Talent.

Composite Scoring Breakdown: directly from the 2012 Official MAO Judges Manual.

“Now that I have seen this contestant in all phases of competition, does she posses the skills, qualities, and attributes to be this titleholder?”

When giving your Top “Ten” Composite Attributes score, consider ALL factors:

-The Job Description and the Responsibilities
-The Qualities and Attributes
-The Preliminary Phases of Competition
-Respective Criteria for Scoring

If CT, TX, ND, and ID did not impress in Interview, they could be walking into Finals with only 90 points. Even if they got stellar ss scores…

>> They weren’t eliminated because of their Finals night ss score alone, but the COMBINATION of ss with a (low) composite score.<<

Bottom line: they had the points in prelims to make it into the T15, but didn’t have the qualities the MAO stressed they were looking for (as reflected in the composite score).

As explained above, some girls could squeak through to the T12 with a weaker ss score than the ones cut because of a strong composite score. People get confused because they think the worst ss, then the worst gowns are eliminated, rather than those with the most total points are advancing. There’s a lot of room between 210 and 300 points to leave some great ss’s and eg’s out of talent, if they came in with low composites.

T10 Scoring Breakdown: *On the Final Night of Competition the Titleholder’s Job Description, responsibilities, and duties are considered as part of the scoring for Talent.

READ THAT AGAIN:

*On the Final Night of Competition the Titleholder’s Job Description, responsibilities and duties are considered as part of the scoring for Talent.

If a girl hasn’t demonstrated >in competition< THE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY OF A MA— excellent communication skills— she’s NOT making T5!

The MAO does NOT want the American public to hear anything coming out of these girls mouths (and these are the only 5 girls they actually hear speak) that discredits the “Scholarship/STEM” branding. The worst thing that could happen is to have a Miss OK USA debacle, or another “Such As” award. Programmed, ‘say nothing’, outright botched OSQ answers would prove MA is the dumb, dated, beauty queen stereotype, especially with the talents that advance that are more about entertainment value than talent (cups, ventriloquism, screeching singers, and bad dance routines.)

Given all this, can you see why a girl who is so disarming and comfortable in her own skin, especially under competition stress; who’s made the most of herself and is not afraid to embrace MODERN style; who’s smart like a fox to include a modern movie musical gimmick of cups with an upbeat, insanely popular song to make it memorable, fun and entertaining; and who has a positive, ambitious, charismatic presence has triumphed over the helmet head pageant mullets; dressed like senator’s wives; who are all singing/dancing to songs from the last century or performing a dated talent like ventriloquism; and not showing an ounce of personality with canned, tired, vapid, Pageant Patty speaking.

The old school iconic Miss America many here cling to IS dead, and the modern, charismatic MA is here to stay. Adapt, or clap.

Replies:
Subject: Why did PA, NC and GA not make the top 15? How is that even possible? They were definitely among the most consistent all week.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:35:05 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Miss America Organization Announces New Judging Criteria for 2015

Author:
blahhhhh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:35 09/15/14 Mon

Interview - 80%
Evening Gown - 10%
Swimsuit - 10%
Sam's Input - 7%
Talent - 3%

State and local organizations need to get ready!

Replies:
Subject: I've had this bad feeling in my gut all day. I just simply can not understand what happened on that stage last night. After the initial cuts were made I was on board for MS as I felt she would bring back some attention to the MAO. I am a sponsor of our State pageant/representative...honestly, I'm not sure if I want to continue to donate to an orginaztion that is falling into a deep hole. Last night really was almost embarassing to watch. I cringed more than once and thought "I'll have to defend THIS to all of the nay-sayers in the world", at this point I'm not sure that I can. Its unfortunate they have put Kira in this position. Starting her reign under a dark cloud instead of crowning the most deserving lady.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:31 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone kf Kira wore the same gown during prelims? The dress she was crowned in is totally differnt from anyone else I've seen from Tony

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:23:57 09/15/14 Mon

Replies:
Subject: I think this girl is Amazing! I was captured at how genuine she was when she traveled to AC on a train. I personally am happy for our new MA. She will definitely go down in history of the pageant and I think that's great. She seems genuine and sincere and to me that is a true MA. Congratulations MA we love you!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:19:57 09/15/14 Mon

Archives: 123456 ]
Free Hit Counter
Saks Fifth Avenue Coupon
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.