VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]

State Websites Message Boards Community

Subject: Aside from vocalists and dancers (many sing in church, and many become teachers), how many former Miss State from 25+ years ago still keep up with their talent? Thinking mostly of instrumentalists and wondering how many give it up. But also include baton twirlers, gymnasts, etc.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:31:51 08/07/20 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: New YouTube channel with state pageant video telecasts

Author:
Jeff Michaels - musicalcreations.om
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:34:03 08/06/20 Thu

Hi everyone,

I've seen links to various state pageant videos pop up on this board lately. Like most of us, I've had a little too much free time on my hands, so I found boxes of old VCR tapes, DVDs and video files of most of the state pageants I participated in over my career as musical director up to 2012. I started with the most recent Miss MS pageants from 2009-2012 because they were already in a digital video format and it was easy to upload to YouTube. I removed all the commercials. All the remaining shows are on DVDs and VCR tapes. None are high definition. I ordered a hardware converter to make the shows more consistent between each other and that should arrive this weekend and make the job easier, but they will have to play through in real time from start to finish. At over 2 hours each, that's a lot of work ahead. I'll try to process a few each week and upload them to my YouTube channel when completed. If you keep this link, you will be able to watch as soon as I upload them. There are gaps in the years, but I have televised state pageants from MS, NC, OH, CT, PA and VA. My work schedule outside of musicalcreations gets quite busy at times, so I'll convert as many as possible and upload as time allows. Lots of memories in these shows. Hope you enjoy them. Jeff

Here's the link to my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC05ORZGA6H58XrTWr84p_uQ/

Replies:
Subject: Volunteer America

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:15 08/08/20 Sat

Anyone know how the Volunteer America pageant is shaping up? Here are the states that have set up Instagram sites. Anyone know who the EDs are? Anyone know of other states joining?

AR
CA
CO
CT
GA
HI
MS
NV
OH
OR
PA
TN
TX
VA
WV

Replies:
Subject: RIP Miss Pasadena, TX 1967

Author:
Houston Chronicle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:58:58 08/04/20 Tue

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pasadena/news/article/La-Porte-native-Carlton-remembered-as-15457648.php

Replies:
Subject: Why didn't they do better and where are they now?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:25:48 08/06/20 Thu

Seeing the videos from the 80s has me reminiscing about the more recent (my lifetime) pageants and how I never understood how some girls didn't advance. Can anyone who was there in person for these pageants tell me what happened to the following ladies I loved watching? I have some prelim year tapes and some I just followed on here and was surprised when they either didn't make the first cut or in the case of the 2001 pageant, only made top 20 and no further.

Also where are they now?

Heather Soriano (Mississippi; even by MS standards, she was drop dead gorgeous and looked like a total doll. She didn't make the cut at USA due to height I bet, but why wasn't she in the finals at Miss America? Where is she now?)

Katy Johnson (Vermont; I know all about the scandal after her ex wrote a tell-all, but that was after Miss America so what held her back at Miss A? She was definitely not the norm for VT and it would have been great to see her be the first Miss VT to make the cut. What happened to her?)

Teresa Uchytil (Iowa; I thought her story made her a shoo-in. Don't know how I feel about her not making it, but I was surprised. So what happened?)

Jennifer Powers (Illinois; shocker. Her talent was incredible. I thought it would carry her. She was also pretty so I don't get it).

Tina Foehlinger (Nebraska; I think she made top 20, but I really, really liked this one. I thought she'd make top 10 for sure just on personality. If she'd been from a sash state, I think she would have gone further. What is she up to now?)

Kelly Glorioso (Maryland; another one of my favorites. She was so "real" and I really liked following her year here on this board. What happened at Miss A? She had a strong platform and seemed to have a strong interview. What is she doing now?)

Jennifer D'Ambrosio (Rhode Island; I think what likely hurt her was the interview she gave E! for their reality show that year about the pageant. She complained a lot. But I thought she was a doll and I really liked her being a "real" girl on camera and admitting pageants are super expensive. Is she involved at all in the MAO or did she move on?).

Melissa Clark (Louisiana; ok, what happened here? She was like a pageant queen if I remember right and did pageants all her life. She was also the National Sweetheart winner. She didn't do anything at Miss A and that always confused me. Can anyone shed light? What is she up to now?)

Lizzie Horton (North Carolina; I know she's a newscaster now, but I so wanted her to make the cut. What happened?)

One who did make top 10 and I still wonder what happened to her because I loved her:
Victoria Andrews Paige (Miss NJ)

Replies:
Subject: Cara is going to Harvard Law! It is interesting MAO has yet to recognize it.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:55:43 07/29/20 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Sisterhood of Miss North Carolina

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:28:27 08/08/20 Sat

http://www.missnc.org/about/our-history

Replies:
Subject: I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Miss TX pageants 2012 through 2018. If you get a chance, watch the 2017 pageant for sure! It will melt your heart!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:09 08/06/20 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Pageantry during a pandemic: Miss North Carolina talks about future of the crown

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:11:30 08/07/20 Fri

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/good-morning-show/miss-north-carolina-pageant-postponed-alexandra-badgett-future-crown-title-competition-scholarship/83-30f3da07-f845-4890-8fb3-232c3d4fffc7

Replies:
Subject: Pageant Songs First Performed By Icons

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:55 08/01/20 Sat

I was watching an old pageant tape the other day and a girl was murdering a Streisand song.
I wondered why a contestant would attempt a song by certain iconic singers, because invariably it is going to invite comparisons.
However, every once in a while, a contestant knocks it out of the park.
Who are your choices for certain contestants that after their performance a song should be "put to bed" because they did such a great job with it?
Here are two nominees:
Michelle Warren " And I'm Tellin' You
and
Tammy Walker "Don't Rain on my Parade"
Who are some of your choices?

Replies:
Subject: Which state boards have former state titleholders serving? Is this a good thing, or not so good?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:21:40 07/07/20 Tue

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:36:43 08/07/20 Fri

Replies:
Subject: I saw that Miss Oklahoma gave away it's first scholarship award to it's first 2020 candidate. Are other states providing their candidates with scholarships to make sure they stay active right now?

Author:
curiousgeorge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:01:39 08/05/20 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Allison and Jay head to Netflix

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:34 07/29/20 Wed

https://kat943.com/jay-demarcus-and-family-head-to-netflix/

Replies:
Subject: 1987 Pageant

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:28:23 08/05/20 Wed

Watching some of the vintage pageants and wondering something about the 1987 pageant. I know this was the pageant notorious for 8 of the top 10 being southern states and with that being said I’m wondering why didn’t Miss Louisiana, Amanda Mainord didn’t advance. That must have been quite devastating to be the only Deep South state overlooked. What held her back? Watching the Miss Louisiana pageants where she won and crowned she seemed talented, intelligent, and beautiful. Also wondering why Carol Carter missed top 10 the year Susan Akin won. She was stunning!

Replies:
Subject: Are the 2019 titleholders getting new sashes for the 2020 year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:44:39 07/29/20 Wed

Are the 2019 titleholders getting new sashes for the 2020 year?

Replies:
Subject: Good morning pageant land! I was thinking about pageant trends and some really bad ones came to mind. I did pageants starting around 1996 as a child and then beyond. What was the worst pageant trend that you remember? Mine as a child were the Claire's Couture dresses....I would have given anything to look like a pint size Lorretta Lynn at 7. And as an adult, those horrible lucite stripper shoes

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:37 08/03/20 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Miss Texas 1989

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:08:06 08/01/20 Sat

The pageant was posted a few weeks ago on Youtube. That opening number has not aged well. The production numbers you could get away with then versus now is staggering.

Replies:
Subject: Miss America Organization judge to teach local dance classes

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:26 07/31/20 Fri

https://www.charlestonexpress.com/news/20200731/miss-america-organization-judge-to-teach-local-dance-classes

Replies:
Subject: MAOT News or Contract?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:22 07/29/20 Wed

What’s going on?

Replies:
Subject: History

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:06:54 08/01/20 Sat

Diane Nash was mentioned several times during John Lewis funeral. She was a 1960's civil rights activist contemporary with John Lewis.

In 1956 Diane Nash was a runner-up in a local pageant for Miss Illinois / Miss America. Her dream had been to be Miss America.

She was one of the earliest black contestants in the Miss America program.

Replies:
Subject: Miss America’s with multiple crowns

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:20:58 07/24/20 Fri

Which Miss Americas got more than one crown during their year? And why exactly? I’m seeing several winners who had different crowns by the end of their reign.

Replies:
Subject: Prelim groups

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:48:38 07/28/20 Tue

Who were in each of the preliminary groups during Carolynn Sapp's and Vanessa Williams's years?

Replies:
Subject: Mich. Supreme Court Allows Flint Water Lawsuit To Proceed

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:27:46 08/01/20 Sat

Subject: Montana program book

Author:
Pagbug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:30:36 07/28/20 Tue

Can you purchase a 2020 Miss Montana program book by Mail?

Replies:
Subject: Unpaid Bills and Court FIlings

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:11:43 07/30/20 Thu

MAO must pay Philadelphia-based law firm Fox Rothschild $98,206.90 with interest for unpaid legal bills.

Was this ever paid back?

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/missamerica/miss-america-must-pay-law-firm-nearly-100-000/article_048d3fcb-90a6-5d6b-ae63-9eb65f91f3cd.html

Replies:
Subject: 1920's

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:55:48 07/28/20 Tue

Does anyone have any information about the Miss America pageant Bathers Revue Men's contests of the 1920's ? There was a Bathers Revue category/competition for men. Found an old trophy online sale that stated the plaque on the trophy was engraved with: "Atlantic City Pageant 1922 First Prize Bathers Revue Men won by Jay S Carns"

Have googled Jay S Carns and Bathers Revue Men and have found nothing.

Does anyone have any information concerning men in the beach/boardwalk competition ?

Replies:
Subject: The 1984 Miss Louisiana Pageant is now on YouTube!!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:29:00 07/16/20 Thu

Replies:
Subject: There he is, Mr. Miss America

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:54:37 07/25/20 Sat

https://www.inquirer.com/life/bert-parks-statue-miss-america-atlantic-city-20200725.html

Replies:
Subject: I've been watching those wonderful 80s pageants from Texas and Louisiana but I have a question.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:57:16 07/27/20 Mon

Right before crowning why didn't they reintroduce the top 10? And if I'm not mistaken in some years especially in Louisiana, the top 10 were up on the risers and weren't even in the middle of the stage. Curious.

Replies:
Subject: Who is Miss America? A Look Back at the Pageant’s 100-Year History

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:38:21 07/28/20 Tue

https://theattic.jezebel.com/who-is-miss-america-a-look-back-at-the-pageant-s-100-y-1844518995

Subject: Sidney's Annika Bennion crowned Montana's Outstanding Teen 2020

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:25:52 07/26/20 Sun

https://www.sidneyherald.com/news/local_news/sidneys-annika-bennion-crowned-montanas-outstanding-teen-2020/article_0fdd3e4e-cea3-11ea-9aa3-9fd735e447e2.html

Replies:
Subject: Trophies

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:49 07/26/20 Sun

Does Miss America still get a trophy or is that a thing of the past? If they don't, what year was the last year they presented a trophy and what did it look like?

Subject: 1989 Miss Texas

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:51 07/19/20 Sun

I watched the 1989 Miss TX Pageant that was recently posted on Youtube. Not sure if I'm crazy, but the 4th runner-up that year was Gayle Ross. For some reason, that name sounds very familiar to me, even though I had never seen this pageant before and am not from Texas? Did she continue on as a volunteer or pageant leader somewhere after she was done competing? Or is her name common enough that I may be thinking of another Gayle or Gail Ross? Enquiring minds want to know! - lol

Replies:
Archives: 12345678 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.