VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]56 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:54:25 07/30/13 Tue
Author: Joe Rizoli (OMG it doesn't stop)
Author Host/IP: 146.115.156.139
Subject: Brazilian sneaker shop for downtown ?

This comment:

"We need things like a little Brazilian sneaker shop, so people are exposed to it ... Diversification on multitude of levels," he said. "Downtowns have to speak to a broader base."

You've got to be kidding, like we don't have any Brazilian businesses downtown now?
The must corrupt people on earth.
Are they going to be legal?
Once I heard the "Brazilian" in the sentence I can see nothing is going to change downtown. Who is going to live in the apartments? More Brazilians?
Are they going to be allowed to sublet?
How many are you going to allow in per apartment?
Is this going to be a "hot bed" place?

Get rid of the Brazilians, they are nothing but trouble

Joe

Framingham native and resident Vaios Theodorakos, who bought the much-neglected Arcade Block two years ago, is looking to add 24 apartments to the property's Amsden Building, at 95-115 Concord St. The apartments will be above Limey's Pub, he said, offering a residential component to the planned mixed-use development.
On the commercial side, Theodorakos just announced that the Subway sandwich chain has signed a lease to locate at the property, and Radio Shack and Jackson Hewitt, a tax-preparation franchise, may not be far behind. He's also trying to lure a national bank like Wells Fargo. But Theodorakos is quick to point out that the property will not be without mom-and-pop establishments.
"We need things like a little Brazilian sneaker shop, so people are exposed to it ... Diversification on multitude of levels," he said. "Downtowns have to speak to a broader base."
Hometown Pride
Theodorakos, who owns more than 3,500 properties around the country, bought the Arcade Block at a foreclosure auction in 2011 for $3.2 million from developer Michael Perry, following Perry's $60-million renovation effort that never came to fruition.
Renovation of the Arcade building is underway, with new windows, marble and granite bathrooms, parking and security in place, he said. The 1928 steam heating system has been replaced with something more modern.
The reason for the apartments, Theodorakos said, is not to make money — he said he will actually build them at a loss — near the commercial space where his mother and father, both Greek immigrants, had their eatery in town, the Framingham Café, many years ago. "The global plan is long term," he said. "So I am looking at (a) 30-year horizon; my son will take over in 20 years, the rents will be better for him to make money.
"I believe in Framingham and downtown. I am not willing to take the same risks elsewhere but this is my hometown, I can babysit and nurture it."
Theodorakos said his vision is for an urban development like in Cambridge or Somerville or communities in Europe, where residents young and old can work, eat, shop and visit museums close to home.. The apartment project is the latest phase in establishing this dynamic in the Arcade Block area.
Investment In The Future
Lenders' ability to find comparable properties with this unique, mixed-use design is part of what makes it difficult to fund construction work like the Arcade Block, Theodorakos said. He feels there's a lot riding on this project as a boost for economic growth, as well as his personal attachment to Framingham and the downtown area.
Multi-family housing units on Frederick Street, behind the Arcade building, are also on Theodorakos' radar. After buying them for $900,000, he plans to develop the structures into 300 smaller apartments with underground parking.
The key to downtown, he said, is people. "Big boxes are dinosaurs and will become extinct ... you will need lifestyle malls with housing," he said. "This is not a new trend," he said, referring to European villages and towns.
"Everyone wants to walk down to grab bread, say 'Hi' to a buddy and pick up a case of tomatoes. Who wants to get into and SUV (and) run down to Rte. 9 in a giant lot in a giant box to buy a product?" he said. "People want an experience."

http://www.wbjournal.com/article/20130730/METROWEST01/130739999?template=mobileart

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.