VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Fri February 28, 2020 05:39:23Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]
Subject: Re: Unsurmountable weaknesses in our education system

Author:
Network
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 03:04:39 01/08/00 Sat
In reply to: atingolsem 's message, "Re: A case study of perhaps unsurmountable weaknesses in our education system" on 04:58:51 01/07/00 Fri

I often wonder if the so called education philosophers like Matane see the connection between rhetoric and fact. Education for living doesn't always mean to abandon western thought, and or having a purely local focus on life. Life is more interesting and valuable when we combine and or even adopt different intellectual thoughs and practices. Even as I say this I am laughing at the fallacy of all the hype about PNG/Melanesian thoughts and pasin when we are consuming tinned na rais and wearing foreign designed clothing!

What is my point? I'd say get the best of what other cultures have to offer if we wish to compete in a global market economy. If we wish to maintain the Melanesian culture, then western thought is not ours. Lets us not waste our time following western type of education and create our own. I wonder how much it would take us? I am convinced all civilizations have borrowed something from other systems and made it better for themselves. We can do that too and we can hack out an existence or improve the manner we have beeing making things in our society using skills and practices from others.

That is the way I see education for living. Matene and Kenehe and our other forefathers in the quest for meaningful education have had their say, but they have not helped us forward. New idea and strategies are needed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: A case study of perhaps unsurmountable weaknesses in our education systemETD13:28:13 01/09/00 Sun

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT+9
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.