VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:22
Author: Frank-6Dec01
Subject: Re(5): books
In reply to: sue-5Dec01 's message, "Re: (no subject)" on 08:21

Sue...I recall some SRF devotees on another board bringing this subject up. Some claimed reading non-SRF material was taboo. Others did not share this view. In the lessons, I believe Yogananda suggests that new students stick exclusivley to the lessons for the first year before going on to read other, similar material (I may not be 100% with this, maybe someone can clairfy)
However, there is a section: "What Reading Can Do For You" that deals with this. I cannot print it, but this clearly demonstrates (to me) that there are no specific ban on books. If the advisors at SRF have a different view of this, I do not agree with it. If anyone, who wants to study and practice this great work by Yogananda, truly feels a need to have an advisor determine for them, what is "suitable`" material for reading, I suggest that they may need to work on some personal issues, before attempting to practice Raja Yoga.
As I have stated before, I do not view religious organizations as infallible. For many on this path, the institution has become the Guru, so it is not surprising that the inner political workings become such an obsession.

Frank

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.