[ Show ]
[ Shrink ]
Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor
of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users'
privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your
privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket
to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we
also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.
Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):
[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:56
Author: ketch - 27 Sep 2001
Subject: Board Guidelines
My thanks to those who have made suggestions for how this board should be moderated in future.
1) The offensive messages which have appeared here in the last few days have mostly been deleted. In future posts which are abusive of other people posting here (including me) will be deleted. The four rules at the top of this board will remain, but will be enforced more strictly in future. We are all adults here and should not object to a little gentle sarcasm or mildly offensive comments occasionally but many things have greatly overstepped the mark recently. Persistent offenders will have their IP addresses banned from accessing the board.
2) Several people have suggested that the poster NOJDW should be banned from this board. On examining his posts I see that he has in fact been posting here for quite a while now, however in the past few days he has posted much more. The posts which he has made have not all been about Kriyananda/Ananda, several of them have been perfectly inoffensive and inspirational postings. I do not believe that there are reasonable grounds to ban Nojdw for the posts which he has made here, all of which have complied with the rules of this board. In view of the long campaign which Nojdw has undertaken elswhere, I ask him to please limit the number of posts made about Kriyananda/Ananda. Posts about anything else are fine. It is acceptable to discuss the issues surrounding Kriyananda/Ananda here, but not to carry out a vendetta.
At the same time I ask Nojdw's opponents to keep their responses to his posts to the merits or otherwise of his case, not to resort to personal attacks on Nojdw.
I also ask the followers of Kriyananda/Ananda to limit their criticisms of SRF. These things should be discussed, but again no vendettas. As a general rule things should not be repeated while they still appear on this active board (which holds 300 posts).
3) It has been suggested that the IP addresses should not be shown at the top of every post. I agree that people should be able to post anonymously if they wish, and will try to provide this in future. Over the last few days however, some people have posted under several different names. Some even replying to their own posts with different names. For this reason the IP addresses will continue to appear on the posts for the time being.
4) If discussions become too heated in future, then the administrator will declare a cooling off period in which no posts may be made about the subject causing controversy. Any posts which do appear in that period will be deleted, and the IP address may be banned until the end of the cooling off period.
5) The IP addresses which have been banned in the last few days will be unbanned after a week or so. If the people banned choose to come back here, they should consider themselves warned that any repeat of their behaviour may lead to them being banned permanently.
If anyone has any further suggestions, they are free to politely make them here.
It is not possible to please everyone, and there will always be those who disagree with the way this board is run. I believe that most people have enough common sense that strict rules are not needed. This board is intended as a place where we can all discuss things in a rational and friendly manner. This is not intended as a purely inspirational board, it is here for discussion and debate. Inevitably people will occasionally be offended by things which are written here. That does not justify responding with personal abuse. Other people also have strong feelings about their spiritual paths. Those who do not like others disagreeing with them occasionally should probably not visit this board.
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |