VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2 ]

The Linotype Forum

YESTERDAY'S TECHNOLOGY...TODAY

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Dave's Linotype website has now become "Metal Type" - Links below

Metal Type - Yesterday's Technology . . . Today!

FORUM NOW CLOSED
Please feel free to browse the old posts, but new posts should be made in the "Metal Type" Forum (Link below)
http://www.metaltype.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi

Subject: Old Linotype Operator

Author:
Raymond M. Loomis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:11:50 06/19/01 Tue

Hello,
My name is Ray Loomis and I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. I first ran a Linotype in 1947. I am of course now retired from such work. However, I do get to still work on the Linotype at the “Museum of Industry” here in Baltimore.
Every Saturday for the last nine years I have been a volunteer at the Museum demonstrating to the visitors the way type was set before the computer came along. Our machine is an 1930 Model 8 Linotype. It is in good condition and cast very good type. If you ever get to Baltimore look us up. The museum is on Key Highway not far from Fort McHenry the birthplace of the U.S. flag. We are also only about 1 and 1/2 miles from where Ottmar Mergenthaler invented the Linotype. Thank you for letting me tell you my story. Ray Loomis, 2414 Saratoga Ave., Baltimore, MD 21227. Email address is Rloom@aol.com.
Replies:
Subject: Seek a working Lino to film in PA/NJ/DEL, etc.

Author:
Gary L. Gehman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:20 08/10/02 Sat

I am making a film (video) on the mechanism of the linotype and would like to locate a working machine and operator to participate in this project. Ideally, this would be somewhere not too far from my home in Philadelphia, PA.

All pointers and suggestions wlecome. Please reply by email to: glgehman@magic-bullet.com

Thanks,
glg
Subject: THE GUESTBOOK

Author:
Dave
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:00:48 09/16/01 Sun

Hi - I'm Dave, you've probably read about me if you've looked through the site. This site is now getting visitors from all over the world. Australia, the USA, Canada, former Soviet Republics. Please leave a message, tell everyone who you are and where you're from. Tell me how you came across the site and what you think of it.
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: [1]2 ]

Click here to go back to top

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.