VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:16:26 01/02/04 Fri
Author: Syl
Subject: The Shadowy Horses

Well, here we are back again after all the festivities. Hope everyone had a great Christmas, and Happy New Year!This one was sent in by Aislinn - thanks, lass!

TITLE: The Shadowy Horses

AUTHOR: Susanna Kearsley

GENRE: Paranormal Romance

Impulse has brought Verity Grey to remote Eyemouth, Scotland from her home in England. Verity's friend and ex-lover Adrian Sutton-Clarke has tempted her with an archaeological mystery. What it is, exactly, he won't tell her until she gets to Eyemouth. By then, the impetuous museum worker is intrigued enough to stay.

At the estate known as Rosehill, Verity meets her boss, Peter Quinnell. People say Peter is quite mad, but the eccentric old man believes he has found the site of the lost Ninth Legion of Rome. With the help of a young boy with second sight, Peter intends to unearth the remains of the Roman camp. Verity's job would be cataloguing and drawing the artifacts that are found however, she isn't convinced of the site's authenticity.

While at Rosehill, Verity also meets David Fortune, an archaeologist working with Quinnell. What starts out as a working relationship builds into a romantic attraction as the two find themselves embroiled in a mystery that dates back to ancient Rome. Gothic romance isn't dead, it's just been sleeping. The Shadowy Horses has a gothic feel reminiscent of Mary Stewart. Ghosts and legends abound in this tale set in the rugged Scottish countryside.

I love paranormal elements so this book was my cup of tea. I love an author that can make me suspend belief and accept things slightly off kilter. The author does a marvelous job with characterization - the people in the story are not pigeonholed into stereotypes but seemed wonderfully real. It was so refreshing to have a mystery suspense without the mass murder psycho. To me this is story telling at its finest. The author has been compared to Mary Stewart and Barbara Michael and I can see why. Not surprisingly, she is a Cookson Fiction Prize winner.

The book is very descriptive, drawing you into the small Scottish town on the coast, with a wealth of vivid characters that you feel you know by the end of the book. You can hear the wind howling, feel the rain on your skin, the writing is just so good.

The romance between Verity and David doesn't happen overnight, but as the book progresses, so does their feelings for each other.

This was my introduction to Susanna Kearsley. What a pleasant surprise I was not expecting the storyline to be so engrossing. I love the Romance in it as well as the Ghost, but hey .. I enjoy all books that have anyone with the gift of "sight". The book did start a little slow but it definitely picked up and was very suspenseful and through her writing you could easily visualize the whole "gothic" feel of the book. The characters are real and vibrant in this book. I must say after now reading three of Ms. Kearsley's books that I do enjoy (for the most part ) her play with the other characters in the book.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> oohh, this sounds like a good one to me! I used to love the books by Mary Stewart, so I think this one would be right up my alley too. Thanks for the review, Aislinn - I have put it on my "To Read" list. -- Bandruidh, 19:15:24 01/02/04 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> Thanks, Aislinn! I'll look for this book; it sounds like a verra good read. I've loved Mary Stewart since I was 13 or so, when my mom put The Moonspinners in my hands. -- SueW, 19:50:36 01/02/04 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> Oh goody! I really must apologize for the dry report but I'm so not a writer and I copied a lot of this from the amazon.com report. But this is actually one of my very favourite books and I drag it out at least once a year. I really like this author quite a bit as well but this is definitely my favourite of her books. -- Aislinn, 21:24:36 01/02/04 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> have read this one aislinn----and you're right--it IS good:) -- ali cat, 11:21:29 01/03/04 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> I LOVED Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy -- especially 'The Crystal Cave'. Kearsley sounds right up my alley. Is this book purlished in the US? Or readily available here? -- Lemora - thanks!, 16:06:45 01/03/04 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> The author is Canadian but I believe the books are available all over including the U.S. -- Aislinn, 10:06:20 01/04/04 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Lemora, I had a look at amazon uk and it's available there, with a different cover, if that's any help. -- Syl, 10:05:23 01/04/04 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I enjoyed your review Ainslinn - you are too a writer! I'm now off to the library to see if they have it on their shelves! -- SueP, 15:36:48 01/04/04 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Just finishing this up this weekend. Thanks! -- DonnaF, 07:56:39 01/11/04 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Thanks Aislinn!!! I read this book last week and really enjoyed it. Sexy Highlander, good ghost story, and great characters. -- Cherie, 13:26:42 02/03/04 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.