VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:25:35 01/16/04 Fri
Author: Syl
Subject: Divine Secrets ..............

Here's the latest one! Thanks to Page for the review!

TITLE: Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
AUTHOR: Rebecca Wells
GENRE: Fiction

From the day Genevieve St. Clair Whitman christened the group of friends “Ya-Ya Gumbo”, Caro, Teensy, Necie and Vivi were inseparable. They shared everything together; children, heartache, death, sorrow and life. Oh, yes, above all, the Ya-Ya Sisterhood shared life. “It’s life, Siddalee,” Vivi told her oldest daughter. “You just get up on the beast and ride!”
Rebecca Wells takes us on a wild southern, Cajun-flavored, bourbon-soaked ride as she tells us the stories of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood through their own eyes and with their own voices. From the girls being disqualified from the Shirley Temple look-a-like contest and attending the premiere of Gone with the Wind to the heartbreaking loss of true love and the alcoholic nightmare that followed and affected so many lives, the Ya-Ya Sisterhood’s story is gripping and real and is one that grabs you up and keeps you turning the pages.
The book begins as Vivi’s oldest daughter, Siddalee, struggles to come to grips with her past and her indecisiveness about her future with Connor, her fiancé. One horrific incident in the past still gives Sidda nightmares and makes her doubt her own capacity for love. When Vivi sends Sidda a scrapbook entitled “Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood” Sidda gets tantalizing glimpses of what was, and a surprise visit by the Ya-Yas themselves helps Sidda understand her volatile mother. We readers are luckier than Sidda, though, as we get the full story of Vivi’s past, her cold, distant father with a belt in his hand, her tortured, jealous mother with no love for her child, the one person who could have saved Vivi from a life of hell, and, of course, her deep friendship with the Ya-Yas.
Divine Secrets is, in actuality, the second book of a series that began with the book “Little Altars Everywhere.” Take my advice, though, and read Divine Secrets first. Divine Secrets is much better written, and the characters are much more defined and interesting. Divine Secrets lets you understand what motivates the characters, while Little Altars just makes you hate them. The movie made from both books is truly abysmal since the only way to effectively tell this story on the screen would be in a 12-hour film. If you’ve seen the movie, erase it from your mind, and read the book. There’s too much left out of the movie for it to make sense or be interesting.
Rebecca Wells has captured the rhythm of life in Central Louisiana, or Cenla as the natives know it, and she conveys it very well in her book. You can almost taste the crawfish etoufee and the chickory coffee, and smell the freshly tilled dirt in the cotton fields.
Take a vacation to Cajun country and experience life with the Ya-Yas!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> This is one of my all time favorite books. Anyone else see Rebecca Wells when she was on Rosie? The movie did a fairly good job of sticking to story (if you dinna' mind an elephant turning into an airplane), but the book is the best!! As a result of the YaYa book being passed around our school a few years ago, we have had "girls night out" where we purposely hang out w/ our girlfriends...something we didn't used to do much outside of school. A definite MUST READ! -- Lady Jane, 19:21:05 01/16/04 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> This was a movie I wanted to see, but,with three kidlings, I only ever get to see Disney or Pixar's latest offerings (lol). However, I much prefer to read so, based on this marvellous review, I will endeavour to snatch up a copy at the library when I am there next. Thanks! -- Kylie McA, 21:03:30 01/16/04 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> Don't know when I'll get time to read it, but it sounds great. Thanks, Page. -- Judie, 02:20:56 01/25/04 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.