VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:25:41 03/03/06 Fri
Author: Syl
Subject: The Dark Mirror

Hereís an interesting one sent in by Linda B. Thanks, Linda!

TITLE: The Dark Mirror, Book I of the Bridei Chronicles

TITLE: The Dark Mirror

AUTHOR: Juliet Marillier

GENRE: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

The Dark Mirror is a beautifully written first book in a new fantasy trilogy by Australian author Juliet Marillier. Based on a real historical figure in the Pictish King list, Bridei (ruled 554-584), The Dark Mirror tells the story of Bridei, the son of a foreign king and royal daughter of the Pictish kingdom of Fortriu (present day Scotland). Bridei has been fostered from the age of 4 by the powerful Druid, Broichan, and educated to present himself as candidate for the kingship upon the death of the present king.

While proving to be an apt pupil and devoted to his studies, Bridei is not told of the plans for his future, and is a very lonely child in Broichan's household. At about the age of 6 he wakes on a cold Midwinter's Eve and discovers a baby girl in a basket at the door of the keep and everything changes for Bridei. The child is clearly one of the Fair Folk, and against the wishes of both Broichan and the rest of the household, Bridei insists that she is a gift from the moon goddess, sent to him as his responsibility.

As the children grow up together they develop a deep and lasting bond and Broichan becomes more and more convinced that Tuala, as the girl is named, will be an impediment to Bridei's future. He refuses to consider the possibility than Tuala is necessary for Bridei's success and the plan to save Fortriu, a kingdom beset by incursions both by the Gaels and the spread of the Christian faith. Bridei and Tuala must pass many tests and obstacles placed in their paths both by Broichan and the Fair Folk.

Little is known about the Pictish people, but Juliet Marillier has built an entirely believable world based on the culture. Bridea, Tuala and all the characters are well drawn and three dimensional.

While The Dark Mirror does not pack quite the emotional "punch" that Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy did-at least not for me-I am looking forward eagerly to the second book, The Blade of Fortriu. Not only do I want to know more about Bridei and Tuala, I'm intrigued by several characters that promise to reappear in the future. Most highly recommended!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Hmmm, sounds quite good. I may check this one out soon. Thanks for the review, Linda! -- Bandruidh, 19:03:24 03/04/06 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> I read this book quite recently and loved it. I have read all of her book's and again love them all. I cant wait to hear more about Bridei and Tuala. When is the next book due out? -- Alissa, 23:56:58 03/04/06 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> Thanks for the in-depth great review! -- beccabee, 15:48:03 03/05/06 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Wow, this sounds great. Thanks for the heads up, I've nver read any of her writing yet. -- Margy, 14:55:40 03/06/06 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I loved the Sevenwaters Trilogy, so I'll definitly read this one too, thanks. -- FranS, 21:17:12 03/06/06 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I love this book! Almost as much as the Sevenwaters trilogy actually. I can't put my finger on what it is, but there's just something special about it! The Blade of Fortriu is out already in Australia, soon in the UK and in Autumn for the US, according to Juliet Marilliers website :o) -- Deb H, 13:21:06 03/08/06 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Really out in OZ. Grrrr be back soon*G*. -- Alissa, 18:57:16 03/08/06 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Just ordered Blade of Fortriu from amazon.uk! Couldn't wait for out to come out in the US after reading excerpt on Juliet Marillier's website. Thanks for feedback on review! -- Linda B, 12:37:37 03/16/06 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> Thanks for the review, I'd never heard of this author or the books, So I ordered the sevenwaters triology and The Dark Mirror. I'm really enjoying the Daughterof the Forest . Thanks, I needed a good book to read. For the past 10 years(since I've been hosed) I very seldom fond a book I really can get into. This is one ,Yea! -- Lori P., 09:36:58 03/11/06 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> I read the Seven Waters Trilogy last year and really enjoyed it. I will put this one on my TBR list. -- LadyGrace, 07:36:02 01/10/07 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.