VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:13:04 07/08/06 Sat
Author: Syl
Subject: A Rose for the Crown

This was sent in by Jayne. Short and sweet, but looks good! Thanks, Jayne!

TITLE: A Rose for the Crown

AUTHOR: Anne Easter Smith

GENRE: Historical fiction

Here’s a novel about the mistress of Richard III. I'm an Anglophile, so this appeals to me. Good story; not a great book, but a good read.

Richard III is almost universally understood in light of Shakespeare's play of the same name, and the book makes a strong case for a very different take on his motivations and temperament. One thing he is always associated with is the disappearance from the Tower of his brother Edward's (Edward IV) two young sons. To this day no one knows what became of these young men, sadly believed to be murdered.

This is but one of the historical events touched on in the book. There's a great deal about the War of the Roses, if that interests you.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I read this a couple of weeks ago, and really, really liked it. IIt is a pro Richard story for sure. There is enough day to day living information to satisfy the history fiends, and a good enough storyline to keep others interested as well. -- Marg B, 00:10:02 07/09/06 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> I saw this in the bookstore and thought it looked interesting. Have you read "The Sunne in Splendor" too? How does this one compare? -- Lynn H., 19:49:31 07/10/06 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> It's more focussed on an individual character as opposed to Penman who gives you background, more politics and those kinds of things. -- Marg, 02:59:06 07/11/06 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Richard III is a fascinating character. Shakespeare took great liberties with the truth and we have been basing our opinion of Richard on fiction for hundreds of years. For another fabulous novel along the same lines, read Josephine Tey's classic Daughter of Time. Thank you for the review. I will consider A Rose for the Crown -- beccabee, 19:13:36 07/13/06 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I am about to read Daughter of Time. I am looking forward to it. -- Marg B, 01:00:28 07/14/06 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> Thanks for this Jayne, I really enjoyed SKP's Sunne in Splendour and woud like to read more on Richard III. -- Margy, 15:23:03 07/19/06 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.