VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:54:36 09/08/06 Fri
Author: Syl
Subject: The Historian

Here's another one sent in by Jayne. Thanks, lass! And it's good to be back!!

TITLE: The Historian

AUTHOR: Elizabeth Kostova

GENRE: Fiction

I loved this! It's about the search for the real Dracula by a young woman, and the story begins to interweave her story with that of her parents, and much of the book is their story.

Dracula is presented in his historical reality as Vlad the Impaler, and the book is full of Eastern European culture and history. Very interesting details are presented as the search gains speed and intensity.

Great book, and lots of good history and detail of the Carpathians, Romania, and Vlad the Impaler. Plus a love story thown in!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I bought this book the first day I saw it in th eshops last year.....haven't got to it yet! I will one day! -- Marg B, 03:58:33 09/09/06 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> I really loved this book-read it last summer and it's in my TBR pile to re read. Her descriptions of places and people are just breath-taking and memorable. It's deliciously creepy, especially Vlad himself, but not a gore-fest. A super read, all around. -- Linda B, 14:05:35 09/09/06 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> This one is on my TBR list. I've heard reports of many people who loved it and others who just couldn't slog all the way through it - but I have nothing but good to say about the author. My writing group invited her to speak at one of our meetings, and although she said she had to decline because of her busy schedule, she took the time to send us a very pleasant handwritten note. I thought that was a nice gesture and something we really weren't expecting from someone with a book that big. (In more ways than one!) -- Lynn H., 19:50:11 09/10/06 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I have read several magazine reviews on this one, some good and some so-so, but it was on our local area's best seller list for a long time. It does sound interesting. -- beccabee, 16:27:51 09/11/06 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I thought the premise of this one was interesting, but I found the ending unsatisfying. -- Caitlin, 16:56:53 09/11/06 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I'm impressed to see that someone actually managed to finish this book. I've tried 3 different times to read it. It is the kind of book that I normally love. But for some reason it just does not hold my interest. Good review, I'll keep it around and try again sometime. -- Cherie, 12:19:41 09/12/06 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I was one of those people who had to slog through it, but I did get to the end. I found some of the passages to be overly long and wordy, so I skimmed a lot. I liked the idea of it, and am glad that I know the ending, but I don't think I'll reread it. -- AngieC, 08:31:45 09/14/06 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> I'm half way through this right now, and really enjoying it. It is a builder, a bit of a slow beginning for me, but suddenly (as I said) I'm half way through. Thanks for the rec. -- Margy, 09:11:17 09/24/06 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> My future DIL and I did a swop. She now has Outlander and I have this one. I tried reading it but found it awfully slow at the start. It has now been put on the TBR pile for when more time is available. -- LindaE, 13:55:06 11/12/06 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.