VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:20:17 06/02/07 Sat
Author: Syl
Subject: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

This one was sent in by Lady Belle. Thanks, lass! I've seen this book a lot lately in the shops. I need to buy it!

TITLE: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

AUTHOR: Kim Edwards

GENRE: Fiction

This novel was suggested to me by my friend who is a child psychologist. I picked it up at the bookstore and could not put it down until I finished it. It is a wonderfully written tale about family, parenthood, childhood and siblings. It also shows us what a lie can do to the lives of everyone around us.

Dr. David Henry has many secrets. He hides behind his work as a doctor. He hides his background from his family. And most importantly, he hides the birth of his Down's Syndrome daughter from her twin brother and his wife. Each of these lies affects everyone around him.

The nurse who helped deliver the twins, Caroline, takes the little girl away, supposedly to an institution. Instead, she raises Phoebe as her own and becomes her strongest advocate.

The story begins on a snowy night in 1964 when the twins are born, and takes us on a journey of "parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I've seen some really good reviews of this book...and then some that weren;t so good! Guess i will just have to read it myself to decide what I think! -- Marg, 16:31:07 06/02/07 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> This sounds very interesting. I even looked it up at Amazon *G*. It's on my list! -- Judie, 21:10:42 06/07/07 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> I read this and liked it but I felt the ending was a bit rushed (actually the last third of the book) also there were some characters brought in that were a bit too convenient (used to tie things up) and not fleshed out enough for my liking. That being said I did recommend it to others on the RR board and to friends. It really made you think! -- AmyGirl, 08:13:45 06/13/07 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> Memory Keepers Daughter -- Kaye D., 21:48:48 06/30/07 Sat

I also could not put this book down. Very poignant - I think most will identify with the phenomena of making a decision in a split moment of time, then living with the consequence forever, in all its beauty, joy & sorrow. Recommended!

[ Edit | View ]

[> I read this one and enjoyed it. Not the best writing but I found it very thought provoking. A great example of how one rushed and selfish decision can affect many other peolple for the rest of their lives. -- LadyGrace, 06:03:28 10/05/07 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.