VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]23456789 ]
Subject: CHAPTER 82

Author:
KK
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:30:27 03/12/06 Sun

CHAPTER 82

Nicadea used the cave walls as a guide, her fingers lightly tracing the damp rock. Terrified of what might lay in wait beyond the scope of the campfire’s flickering light, she moved with caution.

Early on, the cave’s large cavern had narrowed into a smaller passageway. As she stooped to avoid the lower ceiling, she couldn’t help but imagine the likelihood of being trapped inside the small space. Then, just as suddenly as the passage had begun, it ended, and she could tell from the rush of cool air, that she had stumbled into another large room.

Fear held her motionless. Was this really another large cavern or was she poised on a narrow ledge, ready to fall headlong to her death? Maybe she should turn around and go back. She strained to hear signs of pursuit, but could detect nothing beyond the fierce pounding of her heart.

With one hand held against the cave wall, she brought the other to her face. Her checks felt wet, and she realized she was crying. Despair weighed heavy on her heart. Was this how it would all end? Was Lugos going to allow her to die here, alone in the bowels of the earth? Was this cave, in reality, her tomb?

A tiny voice deep inside her screamed out in protest. Don’t give up. Don’t die. But she listened with the detachment of someone peeking through a window.

Her body felt too weak to continue, and she was too tired to care about the future. The darkness, so terrifying earlier, seemed inviting. Her body sank, first against the cave wall, and then to the ground. She didn’t mind. She would rest for a while. She needed her rest.

“See anything?” Anthony asked as Mikelle reappeared from within the cave.

“No, but he must have been hiding something. Otherwise, why put up a fight? Why not just walk away?”

Anthony nodded, and both men went inside. The fire was dying, casting long, distorted shadows around the cavern walls.

Mikelle kicked at the pile of clothing lying in the middle of the floor. “There’s nothing here.”

Anthony nodded, but kept looking. “I have a feeling about this place — as if the gods were trying to tell me something. There is an opening at the back of the cavern. I will check there.”

Mikelle grimaced, opened his mouth to comment, but changed his mind. Instead, he walked outside to gather more wood.

Anthony made another sweep around the room before stepping into the narrow passageway. He had covered little more than a quarter of the distance, when a long scream stopped him in his tracks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
I'm amazed (r)Jenna21:52:58 03/12/06 Sun
I am in total agreement with Jenna! ...(r)Lady E11:26:54 03/13/06 Mon
Nice Writing!! I agree with Jenna. Thanks again for...Sheila13:09:14 03/13/06 Mon

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.