VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]
Subject: Goodbye Dick

Author:
WILL RAY
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:06:52 01/03/02 Thu

I never really knew Dick that well. Every so often I would need a banjo player for a session I was producing and would call him. He always figured out a way to leave work early to come down and be creative with an instrument.

I thought it was strange and sad that a musician of his caliber had to have a day job in order to make a living. But I think he was happier working a regular job in some ways. It meant that he could play music he loved rather than music he HAD to play for money.

Anyway, we'll miss you Dick. And your sense of humor.

Love always,
Will Ray

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Goodbye Dick.. the day job

Author:
Mary Faith Rhoads-Lewis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:14 01/04/02 Fri

I remember when Dick told me about getting his "day job." As I recall, it was also about the same time that his "tendonitis" was so bad that he had to completely stop playing the fiddle---and dared hardly play anything else except for short periods. I teased him that if he wanted to get a day job, it was o.k...especially one which would suit him so well...but that he didn't need to "not be able to play" to justify taking it. He could have the job and the music too. Somehow, I think he made out o.k. on the deal...and having the day job didn't keep him from making music!

As an old "on the road" musician, I can affirm that having a day job has it's benefits, especially if the job has something to do with what you love. There are a lot of good things to be said for that financial security too! But, in Dick's case, I think it ultimately is the loving friends coming looking for you when you don't show up for work and then spreading the word that you've passed on!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.