VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2 ]
Subject: Watkins Glen 38th Anniversary 7/28/11

Author:
Jon "Skid" Roe
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:21:28 07/27/11 Wed

I found this site a few months back and I just keep returning to it to relive that fabulous weekend in July 1973. The 38th anniversary is this week so I hope some new festival goers find this site and tell their stories. Here's what I can remember of my concert experience:
I grew up in Canisteo NY, just south west of the Glen and had been there many times. I was living in Amherst MA in '73, heard about the concert and decided to attend with a couple female friends of mine. I first contacted some buddies back home to try to hook up with them at the concert. Most of my memories are very fuzzy at this point and I so wish I had taken notes and photos, but alas, I did not. Me and the girls arrived at the Glen in plenty of time and had no problems getting in and setting up camp. I absolutely remember Drug Sellers' Row, with cars and vans on both sides of the road openly selling everything imaginable. I really think I did hook up with my home town friends, but I can't imagine how with no cell phones. I'm still waiting for confirmation from them. I'm very clear about this next part. At some point on Friday, I decided to see if I could make it to the stage. I'm sure I thought I would be back to the campsite soon after. Somehow I made it through the mass of humanity and found myself at the foot of the stage sometime later that same day. I knew immediately that if I went back to the campsite, I would never be able to return. I settled in for the night with my back leaning against the front of the stage (or the fence if there was one) It was chilly and I was not prepared to spend the night. Either I found or someone gave me an American flag and I used it for a blanket and I must have slept at some point. In the morning, I woke to find the crowd even bigger and more dense. I somehow managed to head out into the crowd and ended up just to one side of the sound booth and there I stayed for the entire concert. And there my memories just fade away. I don't know how I pee'd, how I drank or ate, how I survived, but I did. It must have been the largesse of all the people around me. The whole reason I attended was to see the Allman Brothers, so I know I stayed until the end. After it was over, I managed to find my way back to the campsite and the girls I came in with were still there. I can't remember when we left to go back to MA, but I know we left together because I know I did not hitch hike home. I completely lost track of those girls after a while so I can't reminisce with them. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple home town friends to see what they remember. Although my memories are dim, I know it was the most amazing weekend of my early life. I hope with the anniversary coming up, more people will find this site and share their stories.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Watkins Glen 38th Anniversary 7/28/11Rockfest70 (forum host)20:42:21 08/01/11 Mon

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.