>
VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 28, 04:54:09pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1] ]
Subject: Important msg from tony chole

Author:
animal
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Monday, August 12, 09:34:47pm

Greetings,
I am Tony Choe, a founder of Area00.com. I am going to explain what happened on Area00 and me, and what's the plan. If you have an interest in Area00, please read my letter.

For people who I am, I am a full-time programmer and working for Real Entertech Inc., Ltd. as a progrmammer. I am Korean, live in Seoul, South Korea, born in 1976, male, developed web-based game U-Planet and Area00. I am maintaining Area00 and responsible all financial problems.

How's the status of Area00?

Area00's financial status is terrible.

There was no income from advertisement since Oct 2001, it seems that there is no way to get sponsorships or advertisement banners. I cannot support Area00 personally because I have a lot of family and financial problem.
Currently, I maintain servers by supports from Real Entertech Inc., Ltd. (the company I am working for) and Lycos Asia Limited. Real Entertech is providing server for Area00 Korea Server but its financial status is bad because company lost all capital money already. Lycos Asia Limited is providing internet connection and bandwidth for Singapore Server freely. If I lose these supports, I maybe will not able to continue services.

The partnership between Mr. Darin M. Bicknell had been broken on Jun 20th.

He was a partner of mine in business of Area00 and online game for two years. We had no right chemistry and had disagreements in business. I felt I cannot continue to work with him so I suggested that we need a leader rather than partners. He couldn't agree with my suggestion so our partnership had been broken.
He is not related to A00 Studios and Area00.com. I apologize for all your inconveniences he may caused.

How's the servers?

Korea Server

As I said above, Real Entertech is providing server for Area00 Korea Server. It's service quality is not bad and stable. But problem is connection speed. The machine is not dedicated for Area00 Korea Server like before. It has another web services such as MP3 search engines, web robots and website. When this services is being used high, Korea Server could be slow. Also there could be a big lag between your country and South Korea. And if Real Entertech cannot support the machine, I must move Korea Server to somewhere or host new machine personally.

Singapore Server

Singapore Server has a lot of current and possible problems.

The machine(hardware) of Singapore Server is belonged to Real Entertech. So If I lost my job or Real Entertech decides its closure, I must give back the machine to Real Entertech and must fly to Singapore and buy new machine with my personal money. I don't think I am able to do that because my status is not good.
It seems server hardware is very unstable. Though Lycos Asia Limited is providing free bandwidth for Singapore Server, service is not stable and goes down every week.
The machine's Login service is down. People of Lycos Asia Limited tried to fix but failed. I think I must fly to Singapore to fix the errors. Currently, I am not able to login into the machine and always request services such as server rebooting or fixing server errors to Lycos people. They don't live always in their server farm. So when server down, rebooting could take 1-3 days.
I am very sorry for these problems.

USA Server

USA Server will not be back until I have a sponsor who will provide free server. Most ISP in the United States charges on bandwidth usage.
On last January, I have paid 1,068 US Dollars including 668 US Dollars for additional bandwidth for Decemeber service fee. I changed ISP to avoid this heavy charge but new ISP was same.
Another problem is that small service fee is really high. I requsted twice that server rebooting to the first ISP and they charged 135 US Dollars for each request.
1,068 USD for one month? 135 USD for one rebooting? I am a full-time worker and living with my salary, not a rich guy. I couldn't stand this charging so I cancel the hosting service and USA Server closed.

How's my status?

I think this time is the hardest time in my life.

My mother bought the house on January. This is the first house of my family since last 7 years without "my home" and 10th moving. My mother has no job now so I give pocket money her and pay all bills of my family every month.
My father got arrested on January and imprisoned. His sin is from the bankruptcy of his own company. I paid lawyer fees and paid some part of his debt to save him. But he was sentenced to 1 and half years.
I found my sister have a debt more than my yearly payment. The debt was getting inceased fast so I gave all the rest meney to pay her debt and save her life.
I lost a lot of money while I maintain Area00. From two and half years with Area00, I got a lot of experience and good freinds but nothing financially.
Now, the company I am working for is in bad situation. It seems the funding is impossible. In 1 or 2 months, I maybe can see my future, the company will live longer or die. If I lose my job, I must look for new job for my living and my family. And I should look for new servers for Area00 to continue service.
I don't want to give up. I will work hard and do my best to earn money and fill my saving again like before, and work for game and my plan.

Why don't accept donation?

Donation didn't help me much. I received about 250 USD a month when I was accepting donations (I needed 750 USD a month at that time). Problem is PayPal.com doesn't allow withdrawing. It requests the bank account in USA. To open an account, I must fly USA and show my presense to bank by law. So accepting donation via PayPal didn't help me at all. I am going to accept donation again but Area00 servers must be stable and guaranteed. I have no confidence in maintaining servers. When I am ready again, I will restart donation campaign.

How's the plan for Area00?

I am developing Area00 version II and new user database. Also I will revive the old games I developed. I will unite these games into one gaming zone and start service. This will takes at least 6 months.
Thanks,
Tony Choe

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Important msg from tony choleShadowHawkTuesday, September 09, 01:47:34pm

Re: Important msg from tony cholefight3rz (VERY ANGRY)Monday, February 05, 03:32:35pm

Re: Important msg from tony choleheadlightsFriday, March 09, 09:23:59am

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.