VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:37:37 05/30/02 Thu
Author: -.-
Subject: good evening
In reply to: Cari 's message, "At this point I'm with WE67, Alvin, but......" on 13:13:35 05/30/02 Thu

I don't know if this will answer WE's question, but I'll say what's on my mind & hopefully it will:

Priests gone wild. What kind of men are these? How could they seek out the most vulnerable in their flock? How could they betray such a sacred trust? Why didn't the church remove them altogether instead of reassigning them to different parishes? What is this kind of policy? If an ordinary guy did this crime, he'll be in jail. While these abusive priests are simply transfferd to other diocese. Double standard!

I understand that priests are human beings with the same limitations & temptations as everyone else & that the recent misconduct is simply a slice of a broader social problem that exists in the general population. That priests are no more drawn to pedophilia than any other professionals who work with young people.
BS! One huge distinction: priest's are required the sacred vow of celibacy. I guess there are jerks everywhere. True. But as religious leaders, they are expected to be models of virtuous conduct. Celibacy is a crucial issue that needs to be addressed. To insist that there is simply no correlation between mandatory celibacy & the present crisis over clergy misconduct with minors looks like Vatican bullying, especially so long as the Vatican remains opposed to even discussing the priestly lifestyle. And it is clear that the Vatican does not want even some disciplinary practices, including celibacy, to be discussed. It looks upon bishops & priests who call for discussion as dissidents.

To be sure, it takes unparalleled intellectual & emotional maturity to lead the celibate life. I myself can't commit to this sacred vow. No booty calls? The difference between priest abusers & the ordinary folks of child abusers (who as a group tend to abuse both girls and boys) is that, from what I've read so far, is that 90 percent of priest going wild, targeted teen-age boys as their victims. And yet relatively little attention has been paid to this phenom.

Perhaps it is feared that it will call attention to the disproportionate number of gay priests in the Catholic Church. Most priest offenders acted out against teen-age boys & just recently revealed, even our daughters. Equal opportunity eh, Father!

Gay priest? Another Pandora's box within the church, also need direct focus rather than denial from the Vatican, As a matter of practice, if not policy, many diocese congregations are open to ordaining gay men if they demonstrate a commitment to celibacy. Committment?

What Would Jesus Do? If He was here today? I'd say JC's emphasis will be on individual accountability. Makes me think He would sternly insist that the abusive priests & all who assissted {sp} their crimes through improper actions or inactions, admit the full scope of their sins, then beg forgiveness to Big Poppa upstairs & of every person they have harmed. Only then would He be likely to say, 'my posse, go & sin no more.'

If I was the Pope, you'd be addressing me, Pope John Paul George Ringo 1, I will look at some of the Catholic Church's most basic teachings, especially the idea that the priesthood should be reserved for men.

To me it seems pretty obvious that an ever-growing church in dire need of clergy members should embrace an enormous & talented pool of potential applicants: women. If Catholic leaders truly want to stop the sexual abuse of children & it's cover-up, they should certainly give serious consideration to opening their ranks to the most nurturing & protective among us, our women, our moms, who, I dare say, would be less likely to look the other way while a defenseless child or teenager was victimized by a man of the cloth.

Lastly, the Catholic Church could not have kept the lid on this problem for so long without the complicity of parisioners. For every 'payoff' by the church, there was a payee. What kind of parents accept bribery in place of justice? How could they accept money & keep silent, knowing that other children would still be at risk?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.